Author Topic: 1st Nottingham Juggling Convention  (Read 7744 times)

murifri

1st Nottingham Juggling Convention
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:03:26 am »
The guys in the Nottingham Juggling Club have gotten together with us at the University of Nottingham Juggling Club to put on a Juggling convention at the University of Nottingham.

It's going to be a one day affair on the 5th of March 2005 from 10am to 5pm.  There's going to be workshops, games, a bar, and a show in the evening.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 06:44:58 pm »
Cool.  I'm hoping to get there.

murifri

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 03:21:10 pm »
Cheers barnesy, I look forward to seeing you there if you make it.

I've been having toruble getting your herr flick trick to work it would be great to see it in person.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 03:40:36 pm »
OK, cool.  Trying to explain that trick to people at the Scottish convention showed me how tricky it is to explain.  I did it a few times, was asked to explain it, then temporarily forgot how to do it!  I'll try to film it from above the hand soon, so you can see what happens.  It's simple, but only if you can see how the hand trap works,

murifri

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 04:45:50 pm »
The website for the nottingham juggling convention is http://www.nottsjuggling.co.uk/najc/

Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:26:33 pm »
Foudn out that I may be coming to this. All depends if there is enough interest from others at our our uni circus soc to get the transport arranged, so yeah it will be to see some of you there maybe. I need some help with 2d if anyones willing to help me?

David LH

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 10:21:06 pm »
yeah sure  :D

always willing to help anyone to learn diabolo!

david

btw am i right in thinking that this is Andy andy??? hehe as in andy who broke his leg ice skating andy?? maybe i am being silly though
So thats how you do three diabolos!

Andy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 09:07:40 am »
Fraid not! Cheers for the offer to teach me, i shall find out on monday if there's enough interest for us to actually go, and i'll let you know.

David LH

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 09:16:15 pm »
hehe i wonder where the other andy is.

always happy to teach diabolo.

so what uni do you go too?

Andy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 11:16:08 pm »
Ah had circus soc today and its seems only 3 or 4 of us want to come along...I have to wait til tomorrow to see if one of the others wants to drive up all the way from Southampton!

seán_

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:53:26 pm »
I think seven or eight of us have plans to come down from Leeds* (just two of us diaboloists however :( ). I Look forward to seeing whats going on in Nottingham. Does any one know who the traders are?
edit: I see from the lovely website that it's jesters

Seán

*keep that in mind when we hold our convention in November ;) [/i]

murifri

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 04:37:35 pm »
There's a few diaboloists in Notts but I'm the only one in the uni juggling club (not strictly true but the only one who's on to 2 diabolos).  I can't wait to meet some people who can show me stuff in real life that I've been trying to work out from movies.  Who knows maybe some Notts diaboloists will come out of the woodwork for the convention.

I'm glad to see you leeds guys are coming down.  I'm sure there'll be loads of people who are up for a quick trip up to leeds in November.

Andy, I don't believe that your coming all the way from Southampton.  Thats a real trek, much appreciated.

Oh yeah and David LH, you know Sam as in the current president of the Notts Uni Juggle Soc, right?

See you all on saturday!!! :D

Andy

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:29:50 pm »
Heh, yeah looks like about 4 of us are coming on a 3 and a half hour trip (so says multimap) just for the day. Looking forward to it a lot since i've never met anyone better than me at diabolo, I may actually learn something cool :D

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 12:54:42 pm »
I'm coming too :D along with one wheel Dave.

See you guys tomorrow!

Andy

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 10:43:06 pm »
ok finally got all sorted - leaving here at 6.45am yay! I was just wondering how i will recognise any of you once i'm there? I spose I could wear my Southampton Uni hoodie just to make myself more obvious :) see you all there!

seán_

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 10:52:30 pm »
Quote from: Andy
ok finally got all sorted - leaving here at 6.45am yay! I was just wondering how i will recognise any of you once i'm there? I spose I could wear my Southampton Uni hoodie just to make myself more obvious :) see you all there!

wear a red rose in your lapel. ;)

These gatherings tend to be friendly enough. There apears to be several diabolo workshops as well, you'll soon get to know who's who.

seán_

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 12:21:33 pm »
I had a great time there. It was great to meet Murifri and Andy and to see Dave P and David LH and others  again.
It was a very well run convention and had about 200 or so people, lots of diaboloists amongst them, it seems to be very popular at the moment.
The show was very enjoyable, Luke Burrage finnished it with an innovative spot, Veronique performed 1d and 2d in 'Slide Show' an act based on a silent movie with Ewan (contact juggler).

I'm really in the mood for the Sheffield 2 dayer now

David LH

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 01:46:43 pm »
what a cool convention!!!

was wondering if that rates as one of the biggest one day affairs?

great show, luke was amazing as usual. Personal favourite was Tim Foolery who always puts on a good show and is just amazing at devilstick (magnets i tell you). Only bad thing for me was Mr Rossy and his poems, just cant stand them sorry.

All said an amazing day, nice to meet Dave P and Andy, great guys.

Hopefully see you all at Shefcon, hehe with some Jumbos.

murifri

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2005, 05:20:37 pm »
Cheers everyone for coming up and making it such a good convention.  It was my first by the way and now I'm planning on making it to so many more (as soon as I get back from canada).  I can see is the kind of thing thats becomes very compulsive, like juggling itself i suppose.

I learned so much from Dave P, Sean_, Andy, Veronique, Matt...  the list goes on.  I didn't touch my juggling balls or clubs all day and I've been outside trying to get 3 to work all day.

The show was great even if there was a silly amount of hats involved.

Andy

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 10:34:36 am »
Ahh, what can I say? I had an awesome weekend up in Nottingham. It really helped actually having people there to tell me what I'm doing right/wrong (mostly wrong), so cheers guys, it was great to meet all of you.

I managed to win both diabolo games - the "longest stick grind" (unfair advantage with the wide axles) and the "throw the diabolo into the dustbin on top of the silly person in the middle's head" and won some poi and 5 balls, of which i can do niether! yay!

Afterwards, thanks to the person who drove me up there (Twobags), i went along to the after-convention party with all the performers. Pity I was so tired after the long day that i went to sleep not too long after gettign there.

Anyways, I can't wait for the BJC for which I'm dragging another mate of mine up to. Hopefully we will have a small bit of passing going on and i will have improved at least a lil bit on my 2d.

The show was great even if there was a silly amount of hats involved.

Heh, yeah i noticed that too. My fav was Ewan and Veroniques silent movie thing, nice one.

(Btw I think Dave P has a lil vid of something which may be appearing soon :D (please hit me if I wasn't supposed to say anything))