Author Topic: Audience participation  (Read 8879 times)

diabololi

Audience participation
« on: February 02, 2005, 06:50:37 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm a bit stuck with ideas for getting the audience involved when demonstrating/performing juggling or diabolo. I've got another performance tomorrow and I thought it might be a nice idea to grab their attention more.
Thanks
Oli

jw

Audience participation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:35:26 pm »
Don't wear pants.
Tthat ain't nice for the fortune cookie I always charge you twice.
Delivery is free but not from me I always want a dolla fifty.

Arjan

Audience participation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:38:12 pm »
Quote from: jw
Don't wear pants.

LOL, I don`t think that is what he is looking for.
So, ask a volunteer to come up, prepare a elevator, and ask him/her to blow hard to it. When they do, make the diabolo ride up.
Just one of the easiest things I know.

staticjuggler

Audience participation
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 12:12:08 am »
Haha jw, it would depend on your audience though if they wanted to participate in that, I'm hoping not though.

Arjan - your idea is pretty good, although I don't know if non-jugglers would really want to put their face that close to a spinning diabolo, they might get a bit uneasy.

What about orbiting a volunteers limbs? Or making up a crazy 2 person orbit (you and the volunteer) involving linking your arms and legs all together, that would definately provide a lot of humour!!

Static
www.staticjuggler.com

How mad would a wood chuck get if a big neon pink Koala bear named Ishtar ran into the woods and chucked all the wood before the woodchuck could chuck the wood?

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Audience participation
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 01:27:37 am »
There's always the classic "homicide" from those diabolo books.  It basically involves an audience member holding a pencil or some such long thin object in between their lips (not teeth) and then you doing a carefully aimed suicide which nocks the object out of their mouth.  

Warning: Practice a lot and get used to either apologizing profusely or running very fast.

-Nate
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Matt_

• Donator
Audience participation
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:50:46 am »
has anyone really done the homicide? i read about it in, i think it was Totally Diabolical, it seems rather dangerous, even for the seasoned pro  :roll:

diabololi

Audience participation
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 08:04:58 am »
Great idea about the elevator, a floor pedal would be great for an audience member!

Thanks
Oli

Rusty

Audience participation
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 10:20:18 am »
You can make a magic knot and ask a kid to blow it or hit the sticks to open the "impossible knot". This works best for small kids.

Rusty, Norway

Arjan

Audience participation
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 11:59:29 am »
Well, they don`t have to come very close to the diabolo, but would have teo blow harder ;)
I will stick my face almost in my diabolo doing a string climb  :wink:

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
Re: Audience participation
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 12:39:05 pm »
Quote from: diabololi
Hey everyone, I'm a bit stuck with ideas for getting the audience involved when demonstrating/performing juggling or diabolo. I've got another performance tomorrow and I thought it might be a nice idea to grab their attention more.
Thanks
Oli

An idea that I liked that was mentioned by sean_ at bradford was this:

1. Get a member of the audience up on stage.
2. Get two diabolos going dead fast.
3. Give the handsticks to your volunteer to hold completely stationary. leaving the diabolos orbiting each other.
4. Quickly get another two diabolos spinning fast and give them to the volunteer too.
5. Say the volunteer is twice as good as you are because they are doing 4 diabolos.
6. Keep taking the pairs of diabolos back from the volunteer to speed them up.
7. Let the volunteer try to sped them up themself to show how hard it really is.
Luke

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Audience participation
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 12:41:48 pm »
You can ask a volunteer to keep your left stick when doing 2d shuffle.. its easy.. you can also do some tricks with only your right hand then..

seán_

Audience participation
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 12:43:35 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
has anyone really done the homicide? i read about it in, i think it was Totally Diabolical, it seems rather dangerous, even for the seasoned pro  :roll:

Seen it a few times, never done it  myself. I believe Donald Grant did it with someone holding a razor between their teeth.

It might be one to do with a willing assistant who knows the score rather than on a member of the public.

GbH

Audience participation
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:28:26 pm »
Quote from: Kapis
You can ask a volunteer to keep your left stick when doing 2d shuffle.. its easy.. you can also do some tricks with only your right hand then..

Yep - pirouettes (under the string, then around) can work well for this.  Just make sure you keep the handstick high and still.  You can even get the volunteer to try the pirouette as well.

diabololi

Audience participation
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 06:27:48 pm »
Thanks for all your ideas, theyre great!!!
Oli

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
Audience participation
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 07:58:15 pm »
Old toppic but still interesting...
I once saw a streetperformer do a trick called "kill the kid"
He placed a diabolo ontop of the head of a child and whiped it of whit the string. It was pretty funny when he explained that sometimes the child ended up flying out in the audience while the diabolo fell to the ground...
If you do this stunt make sure you dont scare your voulenteer, a crying child is not a good way to win an audience...

Having routines where voulenteers help you is great.
But dont stop with just that. you dont have to drag people onstage to get them involved in your performance. You can get them to clap the rythm for you, do a countdown before the "BIG" trick, and in extreme cases you can even get them to wigle their ears...
Geting people to do things like this is a good way to keep them interested and alert during the show.

David LH

Audience participation
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 10:42:14 pm »
on the topic of audience participation nothing beats the Cats Cradle and then simply look up with a big cheesy grin at the audience!!!

on the topic of the homicide, me and my friend matt have done it in a few renegades. seems to go down well i think. lol especially as matt is bunny hopping on a uni!!! i would advise not to use your bank card though as it isnt a good thing when that flies off into the audience!!!!
So thats how you do three diabolos!