Author Topic: bearing diabolo is it cheating??  (Read 11160 times)

seán_

Re: bearing diabolo is it cheating??
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 02:00:54 pm »
That's impossible.
Is it? What kind of 'prove Langerz right about D.ca attitude' is that? :P

I have a fly and it's the nicest bearing diabolo I have used but still not sure if i'd like to move over to them full time. I suppose I should have both and move between them.*
I don't consider them cheating but then again I'm not going to stop winding up anybody who's willing to fall for believing it matters either way :P

Sean_
*Damn you Nev, all my money are belong to you ;)

nev

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »
That's impossible.

It is possible to modify the Fly to "somewhere in between mode" with the addition of small nylon washers and the correct torque on the nuts (damn I spend to much time experimenting with my props) - This gives some friction so the bearing works only if the resistance is strong enough.  They didn't play that well though so I ditched the idea.  Others may like the feel

& sean_ your money now belongs to the bank   :'(
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11:15 pm »
Yeah I also figured it wasn´t really possible :P. It would be nice if it was though. Probably better to just switch while playing.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 09:09:47 pm »
i am just going to clarify at this point that i do not by any means think that bearing is better! i think you should be open to everything. thats my arguement, being rude about either side of an arguement that shouldn't have any sides in the first place is pointless.

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 12:15:47 am »
i am just going to clarify at this point that i do not by any means think that bearing is better! i think you should be open to everything. thats my arguement, being rude about either side of an arguement that shouldn't have any sides in the first place is pointless.

lz

Just as  :-*
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

randomlegend

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 10:01:09 pm »
first of all get over yourself, you do not have a similar style to me. and dont talk about the yoyo scene when you know nothing about it

what mofro is trying to get at poorly, is the fact that everyone said this 15 years ago about changing from fixed axle yoyos to bearing yoyos (ahem look what happened)
this is merely an arguement about progresion of styles, i found everyone didn't like bearing but frankly i dont really care. eventually people will grow to realise this is the way
the prop is going (for 1d at least) different diabs for different styles, this is NOT a hard concept to grasp and i hate to say but you lot (d.ca at crawley) were probably the most narrow minded group
of diaboloists i've met in such a confined space (not you marc BMC legend)

lz

think josh think!
Is that post serious? Bit harsh if so.

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 03:23:38 am »
Bearing, Non Bearing?
Its a prop for ****'s sake.
Its perfectly legal in all competitions and opens up a whole new world of spin and tricks, while making some harder or impossible.
If you think its so good, its just about the same price as a finesse, go get it! 8)

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 03:36:01 pm »
Well, no one can make you not to use bearing, that's for sure. Being sensitive about other persons opinions about bearing can be diagnosed as uncertainty of your own habits.

There's been a development in aerial acrobatics that has changed the way one constructs an aerial number. At least Cirque du Soleil is using machines to get the acrobats up high in the air, without them having to climb up for themselves. Still i find it somehow more respectable when i see someone doing a aerial acrobatic number without these machines(and the sound they might make ;) ).

Some diabolists think its bad if you take speed during performance. Eric and Antonin have said that taking speed on stage is boring. I have never heard anyone outside diabolo community to complain about taking speed, i was once filmed for a children's tv-program and they actually cut away all the tricks and left only the parts where i take speed(witch made me quite angry). This opens a possibility that maybe only diabolists find taking speed boring. For me, it's a good way of having a pause during a performance and maybe interact with audience, or at least letting them to applaud :). Also i think there is many interesting ways of taking speed.

This rabble about taking speed somehow in my mind connected to bearings, maybe the key line is that i don't find any need for them, as i don't find any need for wider axles, witch i think make the controlling of the diabolo harder.

Maybe it's bit puritanic of me but i like the idea that i can do a whole show without having to change sticks or diabolos in middle of the number. For me, it's like if a magician would change a card deck for every other trick.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 01:09:22 pm »
Is vertax rubbish? It was easier for me to learn then 2d, and ive progressed with vertax much faster then i have with 2d (Mostly because i suck at the shuffle, so i do anti-shuffle)

nicodemus

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:15 am »
Some diabolists think its bad if you take speed during performance. Eric and Antonin have said that taking speed on stage is boring. I have never heard anyone outside diabolo community to complain about taking speed, i was once filmed for a children's tv-program and they actually cut away all the tricks and left only the parts where i take speed(witch made me quite angry). This opens a possibility that maybe only diabolists find taking speed boring. For me, it's a good way of having a pause during a performance and maybe interact with audience, or at least letting them to applaud :). Also i think there is many interesting ways of taking speed.

This rabble about taking speed somehow in my mind connected to bearings, maybe the key line is that i don't find any need for them, as i don't find any need for wider axles, witch i think make the controlling of the diabolo harder.

It took me a while to realise you weren't talking about doing meth.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 01:59:59 am »
:D thats funny as. So Antonin and Eric have taken speed during a performance?  :o :D what a role model (joking).
btw, bearings aren't cheating! taking steroids and speed is cheating :P
I found that i takes a little bit of skill to adapt to a bearing diabolo, doing certain tricks is more difficult.

Nahxela

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 04:31:18 am »
Same with me -_-'
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 10:46:10 am »
well aaro's post was the best statement i've ever heard on bearing axles. ever.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 08:23:13 am »
LOL speed..
Bearings are a modification, just like wide axles. Not cheating.
Now STFU.  :D
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

karl e dangerous

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 08:14:30 pm »
thats true its also very funny
sorry for my bad grammer

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 08:17:49 pm »
Bearings aren't cheating. This was reinforced today from the humming sound whenever Nev did a fan. The 2D hover things that are possible with bearings are also very interesting.
Behind your back is your front.

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 08:14:33 am »
bearing diabolos are a great invention use them if you like them dont use them if you dont like them, but in my opinion they make many things possible that was before impossible or at least impractical

aaro's post was the best thing i have read on this forum for quite a while
great stuff

ben

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 11:36:55 pm »
Now this raises ANOTHER question...is diabolo on meth cheating? Or not??

Also, I agree with Ben on this matter. Although, I do get a kick out of people getting all bent out of shape getting angry at bearing diabolos...now that is ridiculous  ::)

Jester

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 06:09:07 am »
I also find it funny how much people are getting worked up about this diabolo schism.

I am very happy with our community that people haven't (yet) started flaming each other
a sign of emotional health for our subsection of the juggling community

I haven't played with bearings for more than a few minutes
and like the idea of them

but when i see a hard trick done with bearing diabolo
like will from tasmania doing excalibur S-fan
i want to see it done with fixed bearings because that is where my standards are set

bearings are a shortcut
cheating is definetly the wrong word

shortcuts arn't for everyone

do what you want and lets keep showing each other the different bounderys we are pushing
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 07:52:18 am »
bearings are a shortcut
cheating is definetly the wrong word
I think it's a short cut for learning some tricks (a way of learnng the trick quicker), but the long/hard way for others.