Author Topic: chinese yoyos...  (Read 8356 times)

shuang

chinese yoyos...
« on: February 05, 2005, 05:05:35 am »
Hey everyone, I recently found this site/forum and it (along with 2diabolo.net, by the way) has helped a lot with learning the basics of a 2D shuffle.
However the main difference is that unlike (I think) everyone else on this board, I was introduced to the chinese yoyo long before the diabolo. I did a lot of searching but it seems like diabolo is much more popular and there's virtually nothing online regarding 2 yoyo tricks.
In case you've never seen the typical chinese yoyo, here's a picture taken off chineseyoyo.net .

As you can see the axle is a lot longer than a diabolo's. I don't think that many of you have used these before, but I figured that you'd probably be able to help me out regardless. I'm having a lot of trouble correcting my 2D shuffle. I found a wrap start a lot easier than throwing in (my throws were really inconsistent) and now I can start the shuffle with no problem and keep it going around quite smoothly. However after around 20 throws (or half revolutions or whatever) one yoyo will be so tilted or misaligned that it just topples off the string. I've read all the posts about correcting diabolos in a shuffle but I'm having a really hard time whacking/tapping and it seems to just set the whole thing wobbling out of control.

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that I'm not using a diabolo, or do I just need more practice? In theory it should work, because normal chinese yoyo adjustments are done in the same way (touching the stick to the 'cup').

By the way, in searching this forum I came across a post that was speculating about a 'chinese yoyo scene' separate from the diabolo scene. In some ways that's true, although I wouldn't call it entirely separate. Maybe it's because we have a relatively significant asian population here in New York, but the chinese yoyo is somewhat more prevalent than the diabolo, although neither are what you would call common. Chinese yoyo is often taught at a lot of chinese schools, and it's pretty common in Taiwan (and I assume China, although I wouldn't know for sure). In any case that was part of the reason I was so surprised to see so many diabolo videos coming from Japan, although Japan is significantly more western.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it looks like this forum is lacking in representation from the chinese yoyo population and from North America as well, so :wink:

diabololi

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 10:35:20 am »
I thought of getting one after looking at the website, but then I thought the noise would get VERY annoying after a while :) .
If you're having trouble correcting, I'd suggest going for some rubber diabolos. I haven't tried a chinese yoyo before, but they look harder to correct. If you're not sure, go to a juggling convention or a shop and try out some rubber ones.

Hope this helps.
Oli

murifri

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 03:17:45 pm »
Generally, everyone seems to work out what correction best fits their style and their diabolo of preference just by practicing lots and lots, if something isn't working then look at someone elses style of corections on a video and attempt that and tweak it so it works best for your set up.

One idea I had about the chinese yoyo's was that because the 'cups' are so far away from the axel, you could correct by grinding the yoyo on the stick with the string side down and forwars to turn the front away from your hand or up and forwards to turn the front towards your hand.  This is much like grind corections.  I sometimes do with with my two diabolo corrections and it seems to work fine.  Just a thought.

jordak

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 06:59:32 pm »
I salute you fellow chinese-yoyo-ist later introduced to diaboloing...You can hear my story about how I started on page 12 of sticky intro forum...I've been trying (to no avail) to do 2 diabolo using my Higgins Brothers Rubber Element Diabolo and my Chinese Yoyo...One time I did a quick launch and actually caught #2 on the string...I got 2 throws afterwards and that was the longest I've ever kept it up. My diabolo and Chinese Yoyo are about the same weight but maybe to do 2 diabolo I need to have 2 of the same kind...If this is the case...I'll wait on it as I don't like to spend a lot of money on stuff and 2 of the same thing (unless one wears out quickly) seems wasteful and redundant.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

The Void

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 07:12:11 pm »
It's been quite a long time since I used a Chinese yo-yo (or "whistling diabolo" as we called them back then), and I don't remember if I ever tried 2 of them, but I would be tempted to try stick-jam corrections: That is, jamming the tip of the handstick into the axle just as the diabolo is about to land back on the string. Angle the butt end of the stick forwards or backwards depending on which way you want to correct.

Let us know how that turns (or not) out.

The Void
Whistling in the dark
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

jordak

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:23:31 pm »
I actually prefer my chinese yoyo for stick grind tricks because of the wide axel...I think it goes higher than my Higgins Brothers Rubber Element Diabolo...Although my Chinese Yoyo looks and feels like it rotates faster, my rubber diabolo spins longer without me spinning it, That's probably a balance thing. My rubber diabolo is better for string knot and cradle tricks for this reason.

jordak

Re: chinese yoyos...
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:03:24 am »
This revealed something to me...there is a www.chineseyoyo.___ website for the 3 first domains that come to my mind. .com .org and thanks to you I know there is a .net

Will^

Chinese Diabolos
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 02:16:51 pm »
Well, as of now im sitting in an internet cafe in China, i've been here for about 5 days so far, its pretty damn amazing. On the way in to the airport, I saw a girl doing diabolo, it was a little wooden thing, it looked great (although she was pretty crap). I havent been able to find anywhere to buy one yet, but im going on a hunt tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone has seen these, used them, or even knows the damn name of them (as the chinese say it), as its pretty impossible asking someone for a diabolo when they cant even tell you where ther nearest crapper is.

If I do find where to buy them, and theyre cheap, im gonna bring back a damn suitcase full of them, and sell them to any of you guys who want them, as long as you pay for the postage and such. So if there is any demand for them, let me know ASAP so I can get the numbers about right. If you dont reply within a day or 2, even if I do find them, its unlikely you'll get one, as the ammount i can carry is limited and ill have to be able to get to the shop before I leave.

Also: I've brought my 2 new G2's with me, and everytime I was bored in the hotel room, I whipped them out and started wworking on my 2D. So within about a week and a halfs practise (I had a week or so at home before I came) I can now do a pretty good 2D shuffle :D

seán_

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 02:38:25 pm »
Hi Will
some of the links in this thread might lead you to the name. if not bring your diabolos with you and demonsrate what you are looking for.

diabolo99049

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 08:10:17 pm »
Shuang, i hav using tat chinese yoyo bout 3 year already. When u do 2D, it will b harder then the rubber diabolo(lik finess, henry). Actually the correction is using the left hand 2 correct it. Move ur left hand front or back 2 correct the diabolos with the string.

huaiyi

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 10:39:12 am »
I've used this kind of diabolos for five years.
I think it's not too hard to correct it.

wua05

chinese yoyos...
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 06:06:00 am »
well if u can speak chinese, "chinese yoyo" in chinese is qe V ling / (hanyupinyin)