Author Topic: Trauma...  (Read 4839 times)

Trauma...
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:44:27 pm »
I went to the downtown mall yesterday with my friends gillium and austin, who were playing music. To help attract attention, they asked me to do diabolo in front of them. So gillium pushes me up front, and i do a high throw, and of all the places to land....It landed right, between, TWO COPS.
So one cop looks at me and yells "THIS IS WHY YOU DAMN KIDS SHOULDNT BE PERFORMING DOWN HERE"
I was like....O-o
._.

Post a response to me or post a traumatizing moment for you in diabolo

tomangleberger

• Donator
Re: Trauma...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:33:40 pm »
That's rotten, but at least you didn't injure the cop, which might have ended in a misdemeanor charge.

I've hit kids on the head with the diabolo a few times. (That sounds terrible, but I've been performing for 15 years now, so think how many kids I DIDN'T hit, as Eartha Kitt might say.)

The worst thing that ever happened to me, though, was while juggling torches at a Street Fair. The head of the torch came loose from the handle and flew across the tent. I couldn't pick it up because it no longer had a handle, so I had to  poor a Big Gulp and a bottle of water on it.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:13:24 am »
I smacked a woman in the head with an excaliburgenocide one time. Luckily it didn´t do any damage but the sound of it sent chills.

Also had the string snap during inf. genocide recaptures while practicing and the stick flew at least 10 m and went into a steeldoor with a very loud "boom". It wasn´t close to anyone at all but since it was in a public hall it was kind of scary. I had no idea so much power went into those (they feel so smooth).

It´s kind of annoying because I usually practice in a tenniscourt and people who are not supposed to do so come out on the court and start hitting and they don´t take any warnings seriously either (after all, it´s only a "plastic toy"). It´s probably only a matter of time before something really serious happens. Maybe diabs should have a warninglabel ???.

ERIK da blue

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 02:47:40 pm »
i was trying Excalibur genocide for the first time (in a confined space-bad idea) i was doing really well up until the point that the string wrapped around my friends neck! :o

he was ok but i am very wary about that trick now. ;D
Sideways is rubbish

jacky

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 03:03:53 pm »
always make sure your area is clear when u are going to do that trick course that trick can be very danger,i have a friend doing that trick with a very hard stick and swing it hardly and it a person leg...the person cannot walk properly for few days...

seán_

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 06:37:37 pm »
Think I mentioned this before but I had Norbi catch me across the back with a henrys fibreglass on a missed vertax genocide, left a nice S&M style mark. David LH had a henrys ally come of the string and the thick end hit me on the temple. I wasn't too close or else that could have been pretty serious.

So I try to be a bit careful about that trick (and checking if my string is about to snap).

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 06:47:28 pm »
I could a friend of mine in the side of the head with a vertax genocide using my extra-heavy steel-tipped G2  Extremes. He took it pretty well considering.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Nahxela

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:39:35 pm »
Erm... let's see, I was practicing in my basement which has a ceiling that's about 7-8 feet high (which is only about a foot or so taller than I am) and I was messing around with various suns.
So I start going into 2d sun combos... I do a left sun, a right sun, a left sun, a big sun and I smash a diabolo into the light above me...
Luckily I didn't get hurt, but glass scattered everywhere on the floor so I had to get a vacuum and stuff to clean up all the pieces.

Then about a week later, I'm playing video games, and after I finish and begin to stand up, I get a tiny shard of glass in my knee :'(
Didn't hurt too much, just an annoying stinging feeling and a small cut that kept bleeding for about a minute or so.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 10:52:36 pm »
I was doing an excalibur genocide in a classroom, with a teacher present, and lost control, knocking over the teachers coffe onto the carpet leaving a giant stain here to this day. I didn't diabolo much in that classroom after that. ;D
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Matt D

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 01:21:18 am »
I was doing an excalibur genocide in a classroom, with a teacher present, and lost control, knocking over the teachers coffe onto the carpet leaving a giant stain here to this day. I didn't diabolo much in that classroom after that. ;D
Good for you take it to the teachers with there hipocrytical coffee. I haven't hurt anyone diaboloing but i was juggling lacrosse balls in my class once and I lost control and nailed someone, she was fine so it was okay.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 01:12:36 pm »
C'mon people, it's common sense!  Don't do anything you're not fully in control of in an environment you can't control.  It's pretty much an adage of juggling that "what can go wrong, will go wrong".  If there's a cup of coffee or a vase on a tall pedestal, it will get knocked over sooner or later.  I somehow think that when people are trying to impress others, sensibility goes out of the window.

However it is very annoying to break a lightbulb as you then have to clear up the mess in the dark.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:58:53 pm »
I fully agree with Chiok and add that you should recognize that circus props are very dangerous when used improperly. When I teach juggling and kids go running for the clubs, I yell at them to not touch them because they will hurt themselves - no ifs ands or buts: they are not ready. I tell them not to throw any props around because someone will get hurt, even if it's a juggling ball.

When I'm outside in my back yard, I'm always thinking about what could get hit, and make sure I'm far enough away from whatever could get hit or positioned so that it will never happen. I also try to never juggle when someone is walking by and not paying attention - they're a disaster waiting to happen. If you have a crowd, make sure they know where the barrier is for them or just plain tell them "you will get hit if you don't stand back."

That said, even when you take care, disasters can and will happen. I had one of my sticks tangle up, wrap around the diab, whirl around too fast for me to move and smack me right in the nose - I was pretty lucky there was no break or blood, but it damn well smarted.

-Duncan

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 03:14:50 am »
Lol, i was showing some kids at school outside and accidentally knocked someones lunch tray over.
He was fine with it after i bought him a new lunch and an ice cream  ;)

k2pek2

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 04:20:39 am »
worst thing i had happen: hitting myself in the head with a performer from a high toss. ow.

i kinda consider myself lucky, i was diaboloing in a crowded square in my town with a friend, i do a high toss because someone yelled out for me to do that, i guess they like those, and once i toss it, a huge gust of wind pushes it into a nearby building, it bounces off and spins out of control. lands 2 feet from a circle of girls standin round and talkin i was like oh thank gawd
-John

TomMiller

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:17:39 pm »
my worst one has to be i was at svhool and the new headteacher at school came up to me so i started infinit suicides the string snapped and hit him right  acrosshe eye and nose with my stick i got internely excluded for 5 WEEKS   >:( >:( >:(:o stupid headteacher
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

SilentScreamer

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:12 pm »
I have almost made myself half blind when my diabolo spins in my eye when doing a Head Hop / Neck Trampoline... It hurts a half day and from then I don't like the trick much anymore..... :-\

Nahxela

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:30 pm »
C'mon people, it's common sense!  Don't do anything you're not fully in control of in an environment you can't control.  It's pretty much an adage of juggling that "what can go wrong, will go wrong".  If there's a cup of coffee or a vase on a tall pedestal, it will get knocked over sooner or later.  I somehow think that when people are trying to impress others, sensibility goes out of the window.

However it is very annoying to break a lightbulb as you then have to clear up the mess in the dark.

Chiok
Yeah, that's certainly true.
I usually just stick to diaboloing outside or in an auditorium or some open place, but if the weather conditions are poor, I usually end up only being able to diabolo in my house (which is hard to resist...

"Luckily," I broke the light during the day, so I could still see fine from the light coming through the windows.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

TomMiller

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »
my next one is i was in town and i was trying vertax and i tried a throw in start i missed and his a coper in the head :o :o :o i was so busted after that they took one  my circus away :'( :'( :'( :'( i was given that
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)