Author Topic: cheap string...  (Read 9542 times)

pottergs18

cheap string...
« on: February 08, 2005, 04:26:57 am »
well i am getting more into diabolo since i am starting to get good at two and i am eating my string (its fraying) can i get some string from like menards or some supply store not like a juggling or web site? if so what should i look for? talk to u guys later

Chiok

• Donator
cheap string...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:10:13 am »
You're pretty much just looking for any string that is "braided" instead of twisted.  I've heard of people using certain types of fishing line, though a bit hard to see the string I imagine.  Just check out local hardware stores or haberdasharies (sewing shops) to see what sort of polyester or nylong string you can get.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Juggling_Arcs

cheap string...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 07:59:09 pm »
Also check kite stores (if you have any around) they can have some good string.

Juggling_Arcs
If at first you don't succeed, Sky Diving is not for you.

No luck involved it was all skill... or absence there of.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
cheap string...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 10:24:25 pm »
and hardware stores will usually have a range of braided nylon strings, you'd probs be wantin the thinnest they have but at approx 8-10p a meter you might as well try a few thicknesses see wot suits

Susannah

• VotW Contributor
cheap string...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 02:09:19 pm »
I work in a shop that sells roman blind cord....the thinnest one works really well and is cheaper than diabolo string.

CM

cheap string...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:54:05 pm »
If you really need string I've found that masonary line, available at hardware stores, works in a pinch.
YO!

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
cheap string...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 07:59:49 am »
I think the common diameter of string is 1.3 mm for Henry's and Babache.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
cheap string...
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 09:09:06 am »
isnt the babache string a bit thicker? i seem to remember Priam telling me this at BJC. Anyone?

Sean

• Administrator
cheap string...
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 02:10:49 pm »
It depends which Babache and which Henrys string we're talking about.

Many of the MFP are using the white Babache string, which is thicker than the Henrys yellow string.

From the way they feel I think the Henrys white and Babache white are similar thicknesses. The Henrys yellow and Babache yellow are both thinner than the white and I think they are similar in thickness to each other, but I could be wrong there. They're very close at least.

eplea

re:
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 01:13:52 am »
I found Yale 1.5mm and 2mm pulse line while looking around online.  Spectra core with a 100% polyester sleeve.  It's about the same diameter as the stuff I've been using, heaps cheaper and has an average break strength of 275lbs.

Going on a hunt this weekend to see if I can find it at any of the local marine shops to see how it compares to what i've been using and what came with my diabolo's.

Anyone tried it?

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
cheap string...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 08:10:04 am »
Not used that specific type, but I've found that string with a core doesn't perform or last as well as the non-core stuff.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

Wayne

Re: cheap string...
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 08:02:53 pm »
Can anyone pls upload a clear photo of the string to use so that i can easily find it...

Squiggle

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:35:15 am »
Hardwear store.

Heaps of good string,Cheap.

wilyspin

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:15:49 pm »
i've found the mother of all cheap string.....goto ebay and this link.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmowfugger

This guy has string from 0.9mm diameter braided to 1.4mm braided that works awesome for diabolo.  I like the 1.2mm from him the best.  At the prices I've won actions at it averages 0.02 USD / meter and is as durable as henry's yellow.

Will

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:51 pm »
Nice buy. You could've got that $11 chainsaw too.
But yeah I don't bother with proper diabolo string much.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Xev

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
It doesn't seem as if you want to order online, but the string they sell at Renegade is pretty decent and a lot cheaper than most string, $5.00 USD for 33m of it. http://renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.html

Niark

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »
There's even another way to make you some string. Get a standart string (not too thick) and put some glycerin on it, wait until it dries.
Usually works to me, altough the rope gets dirty in less time...
Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeu!

NightFang

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »
Sorry for digging up such an old post, but i have something useful to add.

If you're like me, in a country where diabolo equipment isn't really available, here's a fairly decent substitute to string.

This comes from vertical blinds. Its the string which is used to open and close them (usually hanging with a weight on the end of the blinds).

It doesn't snag that easily, it takes a bit of playing to wear it in, but is a little slippery when first used. Now i can't vouch for all makes of this string being the same, but the piece i cut from our blinds is tightly woven and you can feel its rather rigid. The piece i caut also has bits of black between the white.

Hope this helps someone.