Author Topic: Sundia Sun Series Diabolos  (Read 37205 times)

nev

• Donator
Sundia Sun Series Diabolos
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:35:43 pm »
The new diabolo from Sundia (makers of the Fly) is here.

The Sun Series is a rubber cupped diabolo with the same shape and feel of the Fly but this time the cups are a much more durable rubber material which should stand up to a lot more abuse on concrete etc.

The downside (for some) is that it is fixed axle only (no bearing option) - It has the more durable stainless steel axle from the Fly fixed axle set.

Colours out so far are White, Black, Green, Blue ,Crystal (transparent), Red, Yellow, Orange & Pink
All are in stock at www.diabolomoves.co.uk
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

barnesy

• Administrator
Re: NEW DIABOLO - Sundia Sun Series
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:32:32 pm »
I'm very tempted.   But how does the plastic/rubber feel compared to other makes?  Is it like Taibolos?  It looks too shiny to be like Henrys, but it's not easy to tell from a picture. 

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:49:52 pm »
I think I'm about to become very poor when I go to manchester this Thursday :(
These look much more appealing than Taibolo's in my mind.

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:58:54 pm »
You really know how to keep us buying don't ya ;) I'll probably get one together with a Taibolo :) A little OT, but how's that Sundia string? What does it compare to?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »
also how are the sundia carbons?

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:31:49 am »
I sure you could mess around with parts and make them bearings too! ;D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Brian_DK

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:40:41 am »
A little OT, but how's that Sundia string? What does it compare to?

The string is roughly 50% thicker than Henry's yellow I reckon with a core, it isn't as smooth as Henry's, and it actually feels a bit heavier to play with in my opinion. I think it takes some time to get used to, my Chinese speed snaps/whippings wrap up a lot easier, but I'm not too good at those though. The colours are very nice I think, I have the pink and blue.

also how are the sundia carbons?

I have got the white carbons, long version. The length is actually the same as Henry's short carbon sticks. I think they feel and play almost the same. The tips on Sundia's sticks don't look as good and elegant as on Henry's, they are more square looking but I believe it's only cosmetics and has no real effect when you play with them. Sundia's sticks have one advantage over Henry's though, the hole in the end of the stick is a bit larger which enables the knot on the string to rotate more freely, even with Sundia's thicker strings. Other than that they are very similar I think.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Brian

nev

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:34 am »
The string looks and plays very much like MB with a few less tangles.  All the colours are UV reactive.

The sticks are nice - the short are 32cm long (henry's alu's are 33cm and short carbons 35cm).  The shaft diameter (OD) is 6.5mm - same as henry's alu's and significantly thinner than henry's carbons at 8mm, but the carbon wall is thicker so they actually feel sturdier and stiffer.  I'd imagine they will be more durable also due to the extra amount of carbon in them.

The long are 35cm (same as Henry's short carbons) but are otherwise the same as the short.

The cup material is similar to the Taibolo and the old Diabigs - it seems very durable and the finish (not just the shine) is very high.  There is a nice big outer rim too and the washer sits flush within a recess (a nice touch and great for UFO's)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Matt D

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:04:55 pm »
I have been wanting to get some fix axled fly's for so long but I haven't had the money but now that these are out I will try to save up for them instead.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:31 am »
Meista, please order some ;) I'd buy these instead of flys if you did.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:18:21 am »
Any chance the light kits will fit nicely on a diabig?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:43:59 am »
Any chance the light kits will fit nicely on a diabig?

They would need a little modding I think - If I remember correctly the diabig bolt only has a nut at one end (ie. its a bolt and one nut rather than a threaded bar and two nuts).  The bolt diameter is the same at 5mm but I'd have to check on the thread gauge.  One of the various Fly bolts may be the right length to fit on the diabig - then the lights would fit fine - I'll check later for you when I can take a diabig to bits.

Nahxela

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 01:32:41 am »
Well, I went to the Sundia website, and it turns out my previously unknown 三鈴 diabolo was a Sundia after all.
But the only difference is that mine doesn't have those pretty hubs... When I picked mine up in Taiwan it just came with the standard diabolo materials (Plain Hubs, Cups, Axle, Screw, Nuts, etc.).

I like these very much, they play pretty much like a fixed Fly and look the part, too. They get good spin and have very good balance along with a decently sized axle that's good for grinds. In fact, I like to think it's the step between fixed axles and bearings (if that makes sense at all...)
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

David - SAS1

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 08:38:22 pm »
If the axels are taken from the fly's then could the bearing axel just be fitted on
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 03:30:46 am »
If the axels are taken from the fly's then could the bearing axel just be fitted on
hope so, that would be handy, ive already got 4 flys with 3 sun series diabs in the mail, cant wait to try em out.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 10:03:16 am »

No

David - SAS1

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 02:17:12 pm »
No

Well that's a shame but I might have to buy some all the same so that my fly's don't get completely destroyed
www.lufbrafever.co.uk fever - Loughborough University Juggling and Circus Society

Nahxela

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:57 pm »
Well, if you're deciding between flys and sundias, I would go for the Flys.
They seem more balanced to me... And you can customize them easily :)
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 05:46:28 am »
Well, if you're deciding between flys and sundias, I would go for the Flys.
They seem more balanced to me... And you can customize them easily :)
i think you mean Sundia Flys and Sundia Suns. ive fixed the axles on my flys anyway, so if i dont like the Suns, i suppose ill just sell them, we'll see...

Nahxela

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 12:53:39 am »
i think you mean Sundia Flys and Sundia Suns. ive fixed the axles on my flys anyway, so if i dont like the Suns, i suppose ill just sell them, we'll see...
Oh, right, my mistake ::).

Well, the Flys are probably better overall, since (I think) Sundia Suns were a prototype of the Fly, since I met with a friend of Yabe's (Zhang Yao Wen of TPEC, if I recall correctly) in Taiwan who had helped to design the Fly. Although my Chinese isn't too great (I'm still learning), so some stuff might've been lost in translation...
Plus Flys are customizable with light kits, weight kits, and interchangeable axles :).
I think Suns only have a weight kit, if anything.