Author Topic: Sundia Sun Series Diabolos  (Read 38740 times)

Duncan

• Administrator
Re: NEW DIABOLO - Sundia Sun Series
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 07:59:20 am »
I've been messing with the Suns for a few weeks now and I can say that they're a nice set for anyone looking for a diab with a bit of extra weight to make things lazy (sean_) or concrete resistant. They play a lot like hard-shelled circus diabs. 3low is very nice with them, and 1 and 2 are just fine thanks to the extra weight. The Flys are more customizable, but the Sun won't let you down at all. They're not for everyone, in my opinion, but they'll suit circus people (or those still stuck on harlequins) fine.

Note, the black diab seems to mark up whatever it touches like the purple taibolo, so no using it with something markable in the near vicinity.

-Duncan

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 09:15:52 am »
nice little critique there duncan. the suns are starting to sound like a disappointment (compared to flys). would be nice to some how combine the two.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 09:19:53 am »
Well, the Flys are probably better overall, since (I think) Sundia Suns were a prototype of the Fly

Wrong - The Sun Series is Sundia's BRAND NEW diabolo and has only been available a few weeks now, it is definately NOT a prototype of the fly (if anything its the other way round) - the diabolo you have is probably an older version of the Fly as there have been a few improvements / modifications to that model over the years to get to the current one.

Also - the light kits fit the Sun too, and there are lighter axles and washers also to reduce the weight so they are also customizable (just no bearing option).

In short the Sun is a fixed axle diabolo which plays like a fixed axle Fly BUT with the extra durability of a Circus for use on concrete or other hard surfaces.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 02:35:41 pm »
the suns are starting to sound like a disappointment (compared to flys).

I wouldn't say they're a disappointment. They're simply different from each other. Fly's take concrete like butter takes a hot knife, so I bought a set of Suns to have the Fly playability and concrete resistance.

Nahxela

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 11:11:11 pm »
Wrong - The Sun Series is Sundia's BRAND NEW diabolo and has only been available a few weeks now, it is definately NOT a prototype of the fly (if anything its the other way round) - the diabolo you have is probably an older version of the Fly as there have been a few improvements / modifications to that model over the years to get to the current one.

Also - the light kits fit the Sun too, and there are lighter axles and washers also to reduce the weight so they are also customizable (just no bearing option).
Hmm... All these Sundia brand diabolos look so much alike...

I don't suppose you have the Chinese name for the Sundia Suns? Since I seem to know my Chinese/Taiwanese diabolos better if I know their names in Chinese (Symbols would be nice, but Pinyin is ok), much appreciated if you could get me that name.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Matt D

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 05:18:24 am »
THose crystal suns look awesome, but are they still made of rubber ???

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 08:05:28 am »
crystal suns look awesome!!
I finally got my suns, but im going to just continue with the flys, sell the suns
The suns are a good diabolo, it has a few differences in mold and parts than the flys, in many ways better, but im content with flys for now.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 12:50:12 am »
Cor blimey, I  might have to get some of those Crystal Suns just for the hell of it.  As long as they can be kept scratchless so they don't end up looking like a battered Diabig.  What's the scuffability of the Suns?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 07:38:25 am »
What's the scuffability of the Suns?

My white Sun looks like a harlequin after taking some black streaks from my black Suns. They take the concrete, but they get sharp edges on them that make vertax (for me) nearly suicidal. They probably take it just like a diabig. If I bought a bit of sandpaper, it would probably fix the edge problem.

For the most part, my black ones are in better shape - I can still see my reflection out of them, albeit barely. I didn't buy them, however, to keep them looking nice.

So whatever you do, keep that crystal Sun off concrete at all costs and it should look fine.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 01:12:19 pm »

The black ones in the shop? I would love an all-black sun diabolo  :P.

Christopher

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 03:36:43 pm »
Hmm... All these Sundia brand diabolos look so much alike...

I don't suppose you have the Chinese name for the Sundia Suns? Since I seem to know my Chinese/Taiwanese diabolos better if I know their names in Chinese (Symbols would be nice, but Pinyin is ok), much appreciated if you could get me that name.

There is nothing on Sundia's site that metions the sun series, but it literally translates to "

Nahxela

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 07:53:48 pm »
There is nothing on Sundia's site that metions the sun series, but it literally translates to "
I know ;), I went to the sit a couple of times and they seem primarily focused on Flys and the traditional Chinese Yoyo in that section (plus the sticks).
And I was asking for the name of the Suns in Chinese/Pinyin, not the translation.
The translation is usually literal with these diabolos (i.e. the Fly Diabolo is literally that in Chinese).
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 11:11:50 pm »
Could you mod it with a spinabolo or fly axle?

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 01:02:28 am »
I've briefly played around with the Sun and Fly parts, and I couldn't properly make a Sun diabolo have bearing mode, don't know about spinabolo though.

Christopher

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 03:29:07 am »
I know ;), I went to the sit a couple of times and they seem primarily focused on Flys and the traditional Chinese Yoyo in that section (plus the sticks).
And I was asking for the name of the Suns in Chinese/Pinyin, not the translation.
The translation is usually literal with these diabolos (i.e. the Fly Diabolo is literally that in Chinese).
why don't you try "san1 ling2 tai4 yang2 xi4 lie4 che3 ling2", just call them this first or mabye send an email to Sundia(filling.yu@msa.hinet.net) to find out the excact name

BMW

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 01:41:07 am »
Finally, I got my Crystal Sun. It's wonderful shape and good steadily. I love it.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 02:31:05 am »
I wanted to say, ill trade my two mint condition finesses for a crystal sun and some good handsticks (Aluminum, Carbon, Crystal, any of the sort.) and if you dont want to trade the handsticks too I'll just trade em for the sun (I just really, dont like finesses)

The_New_diaboloist

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2007, 12:21:52 am »
So from what I gathered, Suns are like Circus's (rubber cups), only a little lighter.

What I'm looking for is a good diabolo that is a bit lighted than  Circus, and has plastic hubs (275g would be great, and these Suns are perfect). I use Alu's, and now my new string wares down past peak grip in nearly three days (due to the marked up metal hubs).

Questions:

Are the rubber cups durable? For example, could it drop or get pushed on a little and come back to its normal shape? Is the flexibility more like a circus or a finesse?

Like I said, I need plastic hubs, or hubs that don't dent/mark easily. I think these hubs are aluminum, but has anyone experienced aluminum sticks-on-axle to create dents?

I heard that the Flys spin well, and feel very stable, do these Suns offer the same effect?

Lastly, since I'm used to Circus's, do you all think that these would be a good fit for me? Or would you recommend a Finesse?

Thanks,

TND

nev

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 02:57:29 pm »
Firstly the Suns are 290g as standard, but you can fit the Fly washers to reduce the weight to approx 275g

1. The rubber cups are very durable - like a circus / diabig on the flexibility more than a finesse.
2. The Suns have plastic hubs - the axle part is stainless steel - so there is not much chance of any denting etc.
3. The Suns feel very much like a fixed Fly due to them sharing the shame axle shape - if anything even more stable because of the extra weight.  They will spin faster than a circus and get up to speed very quickly.
4. If you are used to stock circus (with the heavy metal hubs) then you should like the Suns as they come.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

onewheeldave

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2007, 09:29:19 pm »
Nev- Do the light kits fit Sundai Suns, or are they just for the Flys?

If they don't (fit the Sundai suns), are there likely to be ones available in the near future?

(Incidently- I'm super-happy with the two blue sundais I bought from you at the manchester convention- initially they felt on the heavy side but I quickly acclimatised; the axles are the best I've used and the cups material is very good and seems to be long-lasting).