Author Topic: Sundia Sun Series Diabolos  (Read 38275 times)

seán_

Re: NEW DIABOLO - Sundia Sun Series
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2007, 09:45:25 pm »
Nev has his crystal Suns fitted with light kits, you need the washers from a fly that the sundai kits fit to.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 11:08:53 pm »
Aww.
I wanna see a video of that. Crystal Suns with light kits would be so nice. With some of Peter's light sticks.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

jacky

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2007, 08:40:20 am »
so that website charge in USD or other?

iroQuai

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2007, 01:48:16 pm »
I believe its English pounds...

nev

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 02:43:34 pm »
Nev- Do the light kits fit Sundai Suns, or are they just for the Flys?
The Sundia LED's fit both the Fly and the Sun diabolos (the blue and green suns are translucent - the black & white are not - so black & white won't shine through the cups - all the Fly colours except black are translucent) - obviously the LED's work best in the Crystal Suns & Glow Fly's
Nev has his crystal Suns fitted with light kits, you need the washers from a fly that the sundai kits fit to.
You don't need the Fly washers - the LED's fit on the standard Sun just fine - I change the metal washer for the fly plastic ones simply to keep the weight down.
I wanna see a video of that. Crystal Suns with light kits would be so nice. With some of Peter's light sticks.
I filmed some impromptu stuff of Garner & Pete at Durham with LED crystal suns and Peters sticks - unfortunately its still sitting on my DV tape, haven't even had time to view it yet.  I'll get round to it soon ;)
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 08:33:59 am »
You champion.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

wilyspin

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01:12 pm »
Wrong - The Sun Series is Sundia's BRAND NEW diabolo and has only been available a few weeks now, it is definitely NOT a prototype of the fly (if anything its the other way round) - the diabolo you have is probably an older version of the Fly as there have been a few improvements / modifications to that model over the years to get to the current one.

Also - the light kits fit the Sun too, and there are lighter axles and washers also to reduce the weight so they are also customizable (just no bearing option).

NEV - I am interested in the Sundia sun's but would like to get the weight into the 260-275 range...can this be done? and how so? (does it mean affecting the durability?)

Thanks

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 07:31:39 am »
Put your text outside the [/quote] tag

Christopher

New Colours For Suns
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 01:07:36 pm »
I've just looked through Naranja and found some new colours of the Suns.  There is orange, yellow and crystal coloured ones available.  I wonder if the Crystal coloured ones are also limited.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fnaranja.co.jp%2Fjuggling&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 01:24:15 pm »
Any chance of getting these over here, Nev?

onewheeldave

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 06:09:03 pm »
The Sundia Suns are still my favourite diabolo- I've got Fly's and Tiabolos, but it's the Sundias that I use on a daily basis (much prefer them over Henry's and Finesse as well).

As a little bit of consumer feedback though, I have noticed one little problem- not so much for me as I've got the necessary tools to rectify it when it arises, but, for a newbie it could be an issue.

Basically, at least one of my Suns has fallen in half on several occasions (both mine are blue so I don't know if it's one, or both).

Unlike Finesse, the Suns can't be secured by finger pressure alone, so it's a matter of finding two socket sets of the right size.

The third time this happened, I used locktite, but it 's happened again since that.

The main problem I see here is that a newbie could buy the Sundia, and, if it comes apart, not be alert enough to notice the small black nut- without which they won't be able to put the diabolo back together.

This became apparent when it happened to me- I picked the sun up after not using it for a while and it came apart- the nut wasn't visible and it hasn't turned up since.

Unable to cope with the thought of using a lesser diabolo, I experimented and found the nuts on my Fly's fitted- they're also much better than the small black ones that came with the Sundais.

Checking with a friend who also bought 2 Sundias, he says that one of his has also been coming apart.

If this is a common problem, maybe, as potential solutions, the manufacturers, who seem quite open to feedback, could simply cease using the black nuts and switch to the, IMO, vastly better ones that the Fly's ship with, which seem to have some kind of plastic locking material internally?

I'd like to stress again that, other than this issue, the Sundias are absolutely the finest diabolo I've ever used- I'm not complaining here, just offering feedback.

Nahxela

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 10:00:20 pm »
Weren't the Crystal Suns supposed to be of a limited supply?
Did SundiaSports just make another batch, or have these been circling around?
I want some...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 10:33:53 pm »
As far as I know they're limited, but because of the demand I wouldn't be surprised if they made more (hope they do). They look really nice. I have some waiting for me in brissy, cant wait to get them.

wilyspin

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2007, 12:33:26 am »
Basically, at least one of my Suns has fallen in half on several occasions (both mine are blue so I don't know if it's one, or both).

Unable to cope with the thought of using a lesser diabolo, I experimented and found the nuts on my Fly's fitted- they're also much better than the small black ones that came with the Sundais.

Buy lock washers at the hardware store.  $0.20 will fix the issue for good; it worked for mine.  You might also have to invest in a metric set of sockets....I think they were 4 or 6 mm acorn nuts....Nev?

onewheeldave

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2007, 11:34:45 am »
Buy lock washers at the hardware store.  $0.20 will fix the issue for good; it worked for mine.  You might also have to invest in a metric set of sockets....I think they were 4 or 6 mm acorn nuts....Nev?

That's true- and pretty much what I did, except I got the lock washers off one of my Fly's.

However, this is basically an issue of me recommending diabolos to friends and kids who are on my workshops (I teach circus skills in schools).

Previously I'd generally recommend Finesse (as opposed to Henry's, as the finesse are lighter (for kids) and don't need an extra £8 to replace the poms), partly cos the cup material is so resilient and long-lasting.

But the Sundias are so much better (IMO) in terms of balance and the quality of their axle, that I'd like to recommend them (with the proviso that they could be overly heavy for some children).

However, to recommend a diabolo that will likley fall in half (and, from your post, it sounds like yours have come apart too) to individuals who don't necessarily have a socket set and, almost certainly don't have the two socket sets necessary to tighten up a diabolo- is obviously an issue.

Particularly when the nut is small, black and likley to get lost when the diabolo comes apart (as happened to me, even though I was aware of the ease with which the nut could be lost, I still haven't found the thing).

My friend, for example- it turns out he's damaged his diabolo by trying, the last time his came apart, to secure it using pliers- obviously, to those of us used to dealing with nuts/bolts, it's a no-no to use pliers, but, to those who don't know and who are mid-way through an intense practise session with 2, the temptation is clear.

If I recommed a particular piece of circus skiils equipment, especially to children (whose families may not be equipped to repair stuff) I do put a lot of thought and analysis into my choices- currently, although, IMO, the Sundia is a top diabolo, this coming-apart issue is a major sticking-point.

I think the Sundia is great for those who are equipped with the tools to sort it out and, that probably includes most of us hardcore diabolists who've used henrys, cos they've had to change the poms- but, when it comes to 'civilians'- they're often not as well equipped and I think they have an expectation that, if they pay £20+ for a diabolo, that it's not going to fall apart.

The main thing though, is that, as far as I can tell, it's very easily fixable at the manufacturers end and, if that's done, the Sundia becomes a diabolo that can be recommended, without reservation, not only to diabolists, but to newbies and the growing numbers of children who've experienced a workshop in circus skills and want to get their own kit.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 12:28:02 pm »
I know this thread is about Suns, but I agree that the wide axle fly is the best for children learning to play diabolo. There is much more room for error in balancing the diabolo, and the bearings make learning new simple tricks so much easier.
I haven't had any problems with Suns falling apart.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 01:00:05 pm »
Ive not experienced this problem personally, its the first I've heard of it, but I've just reported it to Sundia.

In the meantime, I have a supply of nylock nuts if anyone needs them - just PM me (its not a metric thread so general hardware stores probably will not have them)

Any chance of getting these over here, Nev?
Working on it - the Crystals have been re-made and I should have some more stock very soon.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

nev

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2007, 03:03:37 pm »
OK so the Crystal Suns are now back in stock ;D

Also in stock now are some new colours for the Sun Series

White Suns and LED kits are also due back in very soon.

And I've also reduced the shipping charges for the UK and EU (sorry but International shipping remains the same)

Merry Christmas

Squiggle

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2007, 03:13:13 pm »
I WANT! O.o

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2007, 04:35:56 pm »
You'll here from me soon nev :P I want some of thoses ^^