Author Topic: 3 diabolo shuffle: help! (wrap start & asynch shuffle)  (Read 189795 times)

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Re: 3 diabolo shuffle: help! (wrap start & asynch shuffle)
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2006, 01:23:58 pm »
Hi Josh,

Just watched the video, familiar problem, we've all been there.

You need to concentrate on bringing your left hand down quickly after each throw. This will help the diabolos go more vertically and keep the space between them.

Keep at it!

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2006, 07:37:43 pm »
i've finally had a breakthrough and now i really start understanding it.  Now with a little more practice i think i'll have it!!!

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2006, 03:11:08 pm »
I could never figure out why Umberto's shuffle looks the way it does. I have tried to do it many times and i can't do it but i can see its definitely there in yours.

Good luck! Keep trying.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2006, 03:42:34 pm »
Josh, that's good stuff. You've got the wrap start down and that's half the battle. My advice now would be to make try and make the pattern as big and slow as possible... and I mean big. Way back some 14 pages ago in this thread I describe how when I first got it to work the diabolos were peaking far above my head. With your left hand, make it big, make it deliberate, give you brain some time to work at first. (That's assuming you want to learn asynch first.)

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
yeah my shuffle starting to look more like priams asynch shuffle.  my left hand is moving faster and I just got 3 10+ ot runs in 10 mins so it's coming along.  And Sean, my synch just doesn't work lol.  maybe i'll try it after i have corrections and wrap accel with asynch (maybe another year :D)

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2006, 01:09:06 am »
after a full day of nearly continuous 3 diabolo practice, it's going nowhere again.  I just can't lift the diabolos.  All it does is push it across and not up much.  Also when i try to use my right hand, it just falls apart.  I think i'll post another video sometime for more help.

how do you push the diab more up than across?  I think that's why my shuffle keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Martijn

« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2006, 06:12:40 pm »
Quote from: J_J777
after a full day of nearly continuous 3 diabolo practice, it's going nowhere again.

I suggest you take some breaks in between. Also focus every now and then on 1d, 2d or balls/clubs/whatever. Breaks are very important for your progressing. I can't help you on the actually 3d thing, but I know others can. Congratulations on the start! big victory for you, huray! :) You'll have it soon, I guess. Keep it up!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2006, 10:44:26 pm »
I have just taken a long unvoluntary break of doing homework... and still am  :cry: I was just thinking though, some people with asynch shuffle have very active right hands being a righty while some people don't.  When i attempt to shuffle 3, i don't use my right hand at all.  Maybe that has a thing to do with why my pattern keeps getting smaller and smaller?  How do i incorparate my right hand cause it keeps screwing up.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2006, 09:56:20 pm »
The right hand part of an asynch shuffle is strange. I feel that even though it moves alot, it doesn't put much force on the diabolos.
What i did when i was learning was forget about the right hand completely, and just concentrated on the left. At one point i was running an entirely left handed shuffle. But this wasn't very good. So i changed my appraoch a little and began to incorporate the irght hand.
Using just my left hand i managed to develop a synch shuffle almost completely by acident as i was trying for asynch. I soon turned this into asynch because thats what i wanted. Then i coldn't decide for a while and kept changing every now and then. But the point is, it doesn't matter which way you learn first, you can always change later.
So you don't actually have to learn 3 synch or 3 asynch, just learn 3 diabolos any way that works for you.
So could just forget about the right hand altogether and work on that later.

THis advice may be completely irelivent (sp?), and some may think it bad advice, but it worked for me.
It may not work for everyone though.

Practice. Don't give up, it will come eventually.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2006, 12:13:45 am »
The right hand mainly gives speed to the diabolos. It also feels like it gives some stability to the pattern.

In terms of the speed - think about what is actually accelerating the diabolos - friction on the string. You can generate friction by pulling the string up and out from underneath the rolling diabolo faster than it is rolling. Now in most shapes of the 3 (or 2) diabolo shuffle there is also a sideways driving motion in which the diabolo is pushed across and then the string is pulled out from underneath.

All that to say - you'll find it easiest to concentrate on your left hand at first - the right hand is only giving speed and stability. Yes, it's true you can have a right hand only shuffle, but I would consider that an advanced 3 diabolo skill. If the motion and rhythm isn't just perfect it doesn't work... at all. Back when I was learning 3 diabolos I believe I read some wise advise from Trash: concentrate on the left hand, the right hand will take care of itself. I also remember the advice to concentrate on lowering your left hand quickly.

I agree with Pete that it doesn't matter if you learn asynch or synch first. Once you get the shuffle going it won't be long before you can do the other. Then, you can choose whichever style you wish to become your 'prefered' technique - the one you work on corrections and tricks from. Or you can keep practicing everything with both techniques! Synch lends it self to some things and asynch to others.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2006, 12:48:55 am »
no, no your misunderstanding me.  I want to incoporate my right hand into my "left hand only" shuffle.  My left hand only shuffle seems to get smaller and smaller until it crashes in the middle (about 5-8 otts later) and i don't know why.  Today though i did asynch shuffle with both my left and right hand and i got 12 otts without the pattern getting smaller but only once.  it's just my right hand feels so awkward.

dave114

« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2006, 09:41:05 pm »
Hia guys,
               I've been trying to start 3 diabolos for a while now but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out? The problem seems to be just after I unwrap the diabolo and try to get it into the shuffle. Please help me,
             Dave
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Great-Uncle did not like the passenger in his car!

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2006, 10:46:10 pm »
It's all in the timing of the unwrap.  Watch diabology if you have it with the 3 low educational part. Also you should search for other threads with this topic.  The search button is up near the top of each diabolo.ca screen.    

I'm also working on 3 diabolos but I have the wrap start pretty solid, it's just the FREAKING shuffle.  I usually feel the beat of each diabolo when you're doing 2 diabolos in one hand.  When I feel one just leave the string, I give the wrapped diabolo spin, grab the stick and unwrap.  With my motion, I always get a decent start.

Hope it helped
Josh

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2006, 02:05:58 am »
hi I've gotten consistently 5 otts each run but now I've been trying synch.  This is the longest 3 help thread which is why I posted this here.  Anyways, my problem is my right hand.  I can't push it very well except for once which I dropped stupidly, I think I could've got 20+ otts if I didn't do that...   anyways another problem I have is spacing the diabolos.  Sometimes the diabolos aren't well spaced and they collide.  Are there any tips to help me space them better?  Thanks

Josh

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2006, 02:25:42 pm »
A qestion first. When you say you have problems with spacing do you mean that one diab gets closer to another so when you do your normal movement that diab stays where it is and the next one runs into it or is it another problem?

Don't keep thinking about what you could have done. If you didn't do it then you didn't do it and that doesn't matter now. What matters is what you can and will do eventually it just takes practice.

By all means think about yiur right hand but don't forget about your left. I have a heavy right handed synch shuffle (at the moment Lol) and my left hand still does alot of movement. And i didn't realise it until i saw myself in the Ieper 2006 video.

Keep trying. Its worth it.

Martijn

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:33 pm »
Quote from: Pete
And i didn't realise it until i saw myself in the Ieper 2006 video.

(Sorry for the offtopic) Pete, did you mind? I should have asked before I released the video... sorry if you didn't want it to be released.

Martijn

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2006, 06:12:10 pm »
Do I mind? Of course not, in fact i'm really pleased you put some footage of me in that vid. At the moment thats the only footage of me on the net so its great. Thanks alot!! I've been meaning to get a camera and film some stuff but i never got round to it. (i have a camera now though and hope to produce something this summer)

Martijn

« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2006, 06:42:16 pm »
Ok cool :) It sure is nice when your first clip on the internet is a 3 diabolo sun! :D

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:20 am »
pete, u've hit the bugger right on the head!  I'm prolly gonna upload another vid to show my problem when I get more "unlazy"... YEAH RIGHT! lol... okay I might but do you have any advice?

oh yeah pete, about your shuffle, I noticed you move your hands asynch mostly.  However your shuffle looks more synch than asynch and it's faster than normal asynch!  Explain it please :D

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2006, 04:17:41 pm »
Quote from: Martijn
It sure is nice when your first clip on the internet is a 3 diabolo sun!

Yeah and the best bit is that you see priam fail the same trick in the next scene lol. Not trying to badmouth Priam or anything, his part in the show was amazing!

Back on topic for good now i think.

Josh, the problem is that i don't fully understand how to get rid of the timing problems. They used to happen all the time when my shuffle was really rushed and i would just move my hands really fast to make them move (and it worked to some extent) but then the timing would get messed up and they would collide.  But now when those problems happen i sub-consciously get rid of it and i don't know how because i just do it withough thinking. The rythm changes in my head just for a second and then its back to normal. I ususally have these problems in my corrections. I do one right at the start of the clip of me in the ieper video. So i'm afraid i can gice no advice on this other than keep practicing. the bst bit of advice i could give you would be try not to let the timing get mixed up in the first place but thats a bit harsh.

Have a look at diabology (if you have it) at the siteswap freestyle vid and look at the part when Baptiste does a grind with 3d and he has a few problems with timing. I know its asynch but it could help a bit.

As for my shuffle... I don't know too much about it. Every person is different and unique and thats the way my shuffle landed. Personally i've never thought of my shuffle (as it is at the moment) as synch but now you mention it it is a little but not too much. If you watch the vid in slow mo you can see that my hands rise at the same time but my left hand starts going down before my right. Although my right hand moves much more.

I don't really know, i can make it more synchronous if I want to but this way feels right. And i find it gives more spin this way (the big right hand movement puts alot of force in).

Sorry for the essay.