Author Topic: [Urgent] Buying new diabolo, which one?  (Read 2301 times)

willum89

[Urgent] Buying new diabolo, which one?
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:08:13 am »
I'm going to buy stuff from the Higgins Brothers site. I really don't want to have to spend more than $30 for a new diabolo. I just need to get 2 new ones so I can practice 2d. My old yoyo/diabolo is from taiwan and I can't get ahold of another one.

Could yall point me to the best diabolo in the <$30 range?
Or give me reasons why I should spend more?

The diabolo I got from taiwan only cost $17 and it's pretty good so all these prices seem pretty ridiculous to me. I'm also getting some for a class and I'm pretty sure the parents are just gonna withdraw their kids from the class if the diabolos are going to be so expensive.
Also, the yellow string on Higgins Brothers is good correct?

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: [Urgent] Buying new diabolo, which one?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:12:27 am »
There is already many topics like this, please try and use the search function next time, I would point you to it, but the easy answer is just telling you and locking this.

They two most widely used diabolos is the Finesse and the Circus, they are pretty much the standard. The only reason I suggest the Finesse, is it's lighter, off the bat better stock, and cheaper by at most $10 (compared to the Circus) at $40 for one, and thus $80 for two.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

seán_

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:37:39 am »
A lot of what you want to know has been covered in the gear section and it's stickies but since you seem to be in a panic-
Hard to pick a best sub $30 out of that range you really get what you pay for where diabolos are concerned.
Out of those I'd go with the medium harlequin (with the full knowledge that if any of your students takes a proper interest they'll be upgrading to a more expensive one sooner or later).
They have some weight and are generally well made but not the best to crack 2d with. good for orbits and throws but it really is a case of best of a bad bunch.
The flares (HB rebranded) aren't much cop and wont stick up to prolonged workshop use, they also have sharp edges and outdated design (especially axle). The milleniums are very light

Some people might point you in the way of a Henrys beach diabolo as a not unreasonable, cheap, relatively normal sized diabolo.

Have you checked out the other available shops and looked into whether or not you could get a good group buy rate on something like a finesse (especially since the G2 is being phased out).

I know you have been diaboloing for quite a while and I dont know what diabolo you use but I'd be very surprised if you didn't see a marked improvement upon using something like a finesse, circus etc.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:53:28 am »
Hmm... YoSpin.com has wholesale options, and that seems like it would be the easiest to buy bulk diabolos
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

willum89

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:08:41 am »
thanks for the suggestions, I'm currently looking into the yospin wholesale. Sorry to make a new thread, I've been reading them a lot and know what the community seems to all like but the stuff just seems a bit expensive. $17 for 25 meters of string  :'( $40 for a diabolo when i'm totally content w/ my $17 dollar one which I'm just having trouble getting another one of so i can learn 2d.

but yeah, thank you again and really sorry for creating another thread, just club and class are starting to pick up and i realized i hadn't found a vendor yet.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:42:28 am »
What seems fine for 1 diabolo can make learning 2d seem impossible. Learning 2d is hard enough that you don't want to make it any harder! While you might get away with cheaper diabolos for the club, if you seriously plan to learn 2d, invest in a full sized proper diabolo. Doesn't matter if it's a finesse, circus, yoho jumbo, taibolo, spintastics, sundia fly, or sundia sun. Get whichever of these you want or whichever is cheapest for you. Look around the various vendors.

It's cheaper to buy 2 of these than to buy 2 of something else and then buy 2 of these.