Author Topic: Axle wear due to lots of play?  (Read 1707 times)

willum89

Axle wear due to lots of play?
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:16:20 pm »
The axle of the current yo yo I have (the same one all the kids in the background are using at that diabolo camp or whatever in the MHD videos, the ones that are white in middle w/ a colored rubber ring on outside) seems to form a little groove in the middle of it after a long time of play. I'm not sure if it's being rubbed away or if it's melting or something, but does this happen to the axles of your yo yos? The people I know who use this yo yo also have nice little groove in the middle of what used to be a nice smooth axle. I just wanna know if Finesse axles are gonna give out after a few years and I'll have to buy a new axle.

A little side question, does anyone actually use those diabolos and what are they called? They directly translate into something like "Safety Yo-yo/diabolo" but I've never seen anyone talk about them. I've only seen William using them for a few 1 diabolo tricks in his videos, when he moves to 2 and 3 he uses the European style diabolos.

diabolofreak617

Re: Axle wear due to lots of play?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:01:22 pm »
My sister owns a Finesse with a Finger Grind kit installed and it does come with a pre-made groove. She has been using it for at least 4 months and the only thing that has happened is it has gotten brighter (due to the constant friction) but it has held out fine. All of my diabolo axles are fine and I've had quite a few for a while. I wouldn't know about regular Finesse axles but I imagine they hold up just fine. I'm not sure about your side question but I am sure someone on here can answer accordingly.

Jon
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:47 pm »
As for the axle wearing away, I don't think you need to be worried at all about anything failing due to that.  Are you sure it's actually making a groove there that wasn't present before, or if it's a trick of the light perhaps?  Either way, I think you'll be fine.

As for the diabolos William uses, I think I know which ones you mean.  Quite long and the cups aren't as curved as European designs with a long thin axle for lots of grinding (say, with a ring or an umbrella).

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

GbH

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:25 pm »
My first set of Jumbo Swiss (i.e. pre Mister Babache branding) diabolos certainly had axles that wore out with use.  In the end, they both had deep 'U' shapes where they'd previously been flat.  This was nearly 20 years ago, though, and I don't think I've seen any modern diabolos suffering a similar fate.  Well, certainly none of mine, anyway, but I guess there could be a different reason for that!

willum89

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 06:14:38 pm »
As for the axle wearing away, I don't think you need to be worried at all about anything failing due to that.  Are you sure it's actually making a groove there that wasn't present before, or if it's a trick of the light perhaps?  Either way, I think you'll be fine.

As for the diabolos William uses, I think I know which ones you mean.  Quite long and the cups aren't as curved as European designs with a long thin axle for lots of grinding (say, with a ring or an umbrella).

Chiok
Heh, yes, that's the diabolo, and I'm positive it a groove and not the light tricking me. As long as I don't have to worry about that with the more modern diabolos then it's all good. I'll just save this old one for doing grinding tricks, unfortunately grinding isn't very impressive unless you use random props, like spatulas  ;D.