Author Topic: Any other diabolos? Alternatives for Henry, Babache, Yoho?  (Read 9260 times)

jing

Any other diabolos? Alternatives for Henry, Babache, Yoho?
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:37:57 am »
Hey guys.  I see most of diabolo players around the world love Henry, Babasche, and Yoho.  It is quite natural since their products are indeed exquisite.

But I am wondering if there are any other alternatives in the world of diabolo.  Is there any other companies that you guys have tried or recommend?  It doesn't have to be as good as the ones the major guys make, but say, something that might be fun to try?

Personally, i have tried Chinese Yo-Yo and Beard ones.  They are Ok but too characteristic. I think...

Thank you very much

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 02:45:26 pm »
Spintastic diabolos are good too. Similar to Yoho diabolos but they have a groove along their axle. They are best known for their ratcheted diabolo - the Spinabolo.

Diabolotricks.com Spinabolo review
Spintastic diabolo website

seán_

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 06:14:09 pm »
Renegades if you can get hold of them.

They are hard plastic, unusually shaped (the ends are nearly capped) and get up to speed really quickly. They make a horendous sound when dropped and to be honest scare the hell out of me. They dont lend themselves to backwraps etc because of the shape of their axles but because gaining speed isn't a problem that doesnt seem to bother users.

The UV coloured ones are amazing under blacklight. Matt_H and Matt Hall demonstrated this at the Scottish (I bottled out... well a bottle had something to do with it ;) ).

http://www.diabolotricks.com/wii-Renegade.html will show you a pic of them and details, also at the bottom of that page are links to some other diabolos you might be interested in. The most unusual of them would appear to be the Radical fish one - designed by mathematicians to look freaky, be heavy and loosen at will.

Another diabolo that is not there is the Oddballs Radiant nice enough but not in the same league as the usual suspects, I believe they will suffer from bell distortion if not looked after in transportation etc. they grind pretty nicely though.

HTH Seán

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 07:18:42 pm »
The Renegades are quite cool if you can get them.  They lend themselves to the trick you can only do with them, which is the Curl.  Due to the plastic covered ends, if you get it spinning and stick your finger in the hole, you can balance it.  Quite cool, makes it turn too.

Always wondered about the Radient, those Finnish guys use them, don't they?  How come they're prone to squishidge and others aren't?  Did it used to be a big problem?

Flare Jumbos from Beard are quite interesting, but the one piece brass axle isn't great, though they are a good size.

Wanted to try a Radical Fish one, they look interesting, wonder how multiple work is with them.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Mattias

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:01:10 pm »
A couple of years ago I was the owner of a radical fish. As said it is really heavy to be a diabolo of that size. But I guess it served me well, atleast on the level I was on(trapezes, grinds and high throws, mainly :P)
But when I started up again a couple months ago. I noticed it wobbled and wobbled more and more. It turned out to be that the axle had gone crookish on me. So if trying a Radical I would suggest staying away from hard surfaces. Since the hard plastic and the weight of the diabolo makes it kind of easy to destroy so to say. my .02
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

seán_

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 08:05:31 pm »
Flares work ok, they are real shincutters when the edges get roughed up though, the axle has a simmilar profile to renegades but made in a different material.

I have used a pair of radical fish, they are really heavy and a nightmare to correct because of the bell profile. I dont think you can get ahold of them anymore, maybe an oldschool juggler might have some. Basically they're usable but not something I'd go out of my way to get hold of.

Ifrit

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 08:35:40 pm »
In the radiant oddballs defence i have two and take them to college everyday and have never experienced any problems with distortion. In my opinion theere pretty damn nice if not on the light side. I have had one break before in the summer but that was from to many high trows on to hard surfaces.

I think there pretty nice for ppl wanting to start as they really are the best value for money diabolo ive brought also its not like shelling out antoher £25 when you want to move onto 2 or 3.

jing

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 03:50:27 pm »
Wow, oddballs diabolos sounds so interesting.  I heard Radical Fish is coming back sometime this Summer.  

I have tried Flare Flex, hispin, and gyro.  The problem with Beard diabolos are the way it's made is a little coarse than the major threes.  The general impression that I have for their product is more like a coarse immitations of the major three companies.

Like both flex and gyro are OK, but the axel is not smoothly integrated into the cups.  The edges of the axel is kinda sticking out, and the string get caught sometime.  Hispin has unique design, but it just wobbles when it's revolving at high speed.

Has anyone tried Butterfinger, Higgins Brothers, and Declic and so on?

lemony

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 07:21:07 pm »
i was using radiants until recently and found them to be great for most things although it was pretty much impossible to do finger grinds and bounce tricks were very unpredictable... the bells never distorted for me but they did gain a few gouges along the way
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 09:42:22 pm »
Beard are currently testing out a diabolo that is almost exactly the same as the renegade diabolos. The hubs are the same as their flair range, which were ripped off renegade, but made out of brass, and the cups are the same size and shape as renegades...

So if you are in the uk or europe and don't want to order from America, call Greg and the crew and see if you can get hold of a pre-production test diabolo or something.
Luke

seán_

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 10:02:30 pm »
Greg from beard had a couple of small diabolo prototypes in Glasgow. I don't know if you managed to get your hands on them Luke?
one was made from a clear hard plastic, the other from a flexible type of rubber I haven't seen before.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:11:37 pm »
I think Beard have missed the boat with their renegade copies.  Or maybe people will still buy that kind of diabolo, I dunno.  

The ones seán_ mentioned were interesting.  They didn't seem bad for prototypes, but were very light (so may be good for people who like finesses?).  It will be interesting to see how they turn out, particularly if they make five inch ones. (These were 4 inch I think).

jing

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 02:23:22 pm »
wow, new diabolos from Beard huh?  Sounds real interesting.  I wonder if any other European countries(aside from Babasche and Henry) are making diabolos.  Does anybody know?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 11:49:30 pm »
My friend that paid a visit to the Beard factory was given a price book and a wall poster of (nearly) all their gear.  And there was indeed some photos of these prototype ones.
The rubber type one is the Flare Rubber Gyro, which I think is a 4" one as it didn't say Jumbo.  So like a Jazz, but nastier axle.
The Renegade type one Luke Burrage talked of has been named the "Bon-Go" which looks to be very similar to a Renegade with nearly capped ends and a one piece brass flare axle.  This is what I gathered from the small pictures in their diabolo range, but do look interesting.  If I'm ever up in the area, I'm definately popping in for a play.  And I wanna feel a silicone ball.
There weren't any prices for them nor any other details unfortunately so that's it.  And the Radical fish ones seem to be unavailable, but still seem to be in production (possibly breakdown in machinary or something) so maybe a resurgence of the heavy bastard.

Chiok

Jester

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 01:51:21 pm »
I've been using and learning from Harlequins from mr babache for 2 years and six months

i've bought a couple of G2 Finnesses a couple of months ago
but just can't get into them

I even bought wieght kits and everything

I love the wieght of my harlequins and am now learning 3 diabolo wrap start so i don't think they are holding me back or anything

Harlequins are heavier than henrys right?
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 02:09:40 pm »
Quote from: Jester
Harlequins are heavier than henrys right?

Yeap.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 04:02:33 pm »
30 grams heavier I believe.

Chiok