Author Topic: Wide axeled Finnesses  (Read 12591 times)

diabololi

Wide axeled Finnesses
« on: February 14, 2005, 07:31:17 pm »
Hey!
I'm thinking of getting some finnesse diabolos with wide axels, but do the wide axels make any 1 or 2 diabolo tricks harder (except excalibur)? Do they make any easier?
Thanks
Oli

Arjan

Re: Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:12:04 pm »
Quote from: diabololi
Hey!
I'm thinking of getting some finnesse diabolos with wide axels, but do the wide axels make any 1 or 2 diabolo tricks harder (except excalibur)? Do they make any easier?
Thanks
Oli

Yes... grinds... and some tricks where normal axled diabolos tend to tild fast because of the string.

Paul

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:20:31 am »
I found they are a lot more forgiving for sloppy technique which suits me fine!  I do go back to the circus though now and then when i need a longer spin for figuring things out, but apart from that I find them easier for all tricks
Peace

Sean

• Administrator
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 02:06:44 am »
Finesses in general lend themselves to their own style - perhaps even more so with wide axled finesses - a style that involves a lot of chinese whipping or similar acceleration techniques. They are lovely to work with, but they must be spinning fast to be stable.

As has been mentioned, they are more forgiving than normal axles in terms of string rubbing on the cups and they are obviously the best for stick and finger grinds.

They are probably not a good prop to learn 2 or 3 diabolos with because they are less stable than other diabolos when they are at low speeds and they are less forgiving to correct with. They are lots of fun to play with, though, once whipping and corrections are not a problem for your given number of diabolos. I use wide axled finesses for 1 and 2 diabolos most of the time but trying to do 3 diabolos asynch with them is hopeless.

Oh, and correcting an S-fan with almost anything but a wide axled finesse is very hard (unless your name is John and you live in the UK  :roll: )

Diabolical

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 03:16:04 am »
I have considered getting wide-axeled finesses for their safety concerning axel wraps. But if they are not the diabolo to start learning three with, which diabolos are?

I use very old Mr. Babache "Harlequinos"

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 08:46:15 am »
Sean are you saying that finesses in general aren´t good for learning three?
Or just when using wide axels?

I think that I´m little closer 3d because I can do some action with my left hand, but now I gotta get my left hand "throws" straigth, now they are going a bit front. But in few months I belive that I´ll be abel to do some 3d.

Sean

• Administrator
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:19:13 pm »
I think that wide axled finesses make keeping a 3 diabolo asynch pattern harder to maintain for a long time - not impossible - but harder. I don't think they will make it any harder to learn the wrap start or the motion to maintain the shuffle.

I don't think it matters what diabolos you learn with. It's the hundreds of hours of practice and analysis that are important... but that's a topic for our 3 diabolo shuffle thread. :)

kragen

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:28:21 am »
From what ive seen finesse are harer to learn at least 2 diabolo with. My 2 diabol shuffle is more or less spot on at the moment when I use harlequins (despite the pitiful amount of time ive put into diabol recently), but as soon as I try to do a shuffle with my friends finesse (with normal axels).

It might simply be that im not used to throwing in with finesse, but I got the shuffle within a month or so with harlequins, wheras don has been trying for a fair time now with finesse with very little success.

I think its the weight, harlequins build up speed and stability very quickly, finesse just dont.

Next time I get the chance I will have another play - see if I can figure out what it is that stopping me, I'd like to use finesse more than halequins if I can - harlequin are great but the weight makes them hard work practicing for long, plus I just love the finesse for doing 1 diabolo now.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Chiok

• Donator
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 03:44:50 pm »
The main quarrel I have with Finesses is the lack of weight behind them.  But all the attachments you can get makes them better than a girls pocket massager.  Hence I think the weight kits and the wide axles are a great improvement on the interesting design of the Finesse.
I think Harlequins are useful for 2D because they are large and heavy so spin up quickly and stay so for a bit, plus the mottled effect is really good for seeing how fast things are going.  I was able to pull off a double sprinkler with Harlequins, something I've not been able to do with Beach, never tried with Finesses.  I'll get some maybe.

See you tonight perhaps Justin,

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Arjan

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 04:06:36 pm »
I like finesses for it`s smoothness. The way it just slides along the string. Especially with the wide axles, it`s a lot fun. The low way doesn`t really bother me, it`s a little softer for the arms, and easier to move around in small places.

Sean

• Administrator
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 04:32:40 pm »
Quote from: Arjan
I like finesses for it`s smoothness. The way it just slides along the string. Especially with the wide axles, it`s a lot fun.

Excatly. A finesse simply spins smoother than a circus (or other diabolo). They feel nice on the string... truthfully that's what I like the most about them too.

I've never managed to successfully teach someone to keep a 2 diabolo shuffle going with wide axled finesses but I've taught many people with circuses or harlequins or yohos. I think doing multiple diabolos with wide axled finesses requires a certain amount of previous skill.

Martijn

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 05:24:14 pm »
I find Finesses the best diabolos ever! I like the the G2 improvements. I don't know if it's much harder for learning/correcting them with 2d, but for 1d they are perfect. They definately feel nice on the string, and it feels so natural!

The wide axles are very cool, because I like fingergrind stuff (and a few stickgrind variations as well) The wide axle give 10g extra, just enough :) With the LEDs or weight kits they are to heavy I think. Maybe if you switch from Circus to Finesse you like it, but now I'm used to my Finesses, I don't like the Circus anymore, I don't use them any longer.

I would say you can learn 2 or 3 diabolos with everything, some people find it harder to do it with finesses maybe, but if I try 3d with Henry Circus, it's 900g in my string! A bit too much..

Anyway, you just have to practise a few days or so with other diabolos if you want to see if you like them.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

=AGE=

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 04:15:34 pm »
hi

i just learned to handleand correct two dia s , i jused wide finesses right from the beginning

i think it is not harder , you just have to get used to the feel of it
and in my opinion wide finesses are the best diabolos ( i just like them)

hope i was able to help

=AGE=

http://www.yoyo.at/dys/

Sean

• Administrator
Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 04:51:36 pm »
Quote from: =AGE=
i just learned to handleand correct two dia s , i jused wide finesses right from the beginning... i think it is not harder

Ummm, so if you've only used wide axled finesses from the beginning how do you know that it is not harder than learning 2 diabolo corrections with various other more stable diabolos?

=AGE=

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 05:22:35 pm »
hi sean

i played 2circus from a friend(but not very long)
but i was not able to handle them ( maybe because i wasn´t triyng long enough

i just wanted to say that i have my second finnese for two weeks
and i am able to correct it now , so i think most other people will learn it quickly  too

but thats why i said " in my opinion "

( i think it is all about getting used to your diabolo)

maybe i was able to help this time

=AGE=

eggy900

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 08:48:59 pm »
i just got a wide axel for my finesse and it gets very hot after spinning it for a while. May be because i use chinese circles to spin it. Any one else found this a problem?

Paul

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 03:06:09 am »
They do get warm after a while but I dont think its really a problem. I prefer them when they are nicely warmed up because they seem to glide easier on the string. I havent had any probs with handgrinds because of the heat either. They never get quite hot enough to burn
Peace

Mattias

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 09:02:20 am »
The thing is, they do get hot enough ot burn, but with fingergrinds you dont have the axle on the same place long enough for it to burn.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Paul

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2005, 05:09:15 pm »
Has anyone found that the wide finesse axel becomes a really dark grey with a shiny spot along the centre where the string lies? The dark grey appears to be some sort of dirt build up and its a bit sticky. Is there a good way to clean this stuff off? It must be dirt becauses i've got a couple of random shiny spots in the grey where the axel has been whacked quite hard with an alu stick.
Peace

stix

Wide axeled Finnesses
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2005, 05:17:52 pm »
I have found if you run the string along the gray spots it eventually comes off