Author Topic: Fly or Finnesse...  (Read 10402 times)

jaigoda

Fly or Finnesse...
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:49:07 am »
Hey everyone, been a bit since I've posted..
Well, I kinda took a break from diaboloing, but I'm getting back into it again. I'm wanting to start trying 2 diabolos, but I only have a Finesse and a Beach. I've also been wanting to buy a Fly diabolo for a while now, but also a Finnese so I can try 2d. But I only have enough for one. So do you think I should buy the fly and work on 1d stuff for a while, or should I buy another Finesse to try 2d?

Shaun

• Donator
Re: Fly or Finnesse...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:40:51 am »
Sounds like a question only you can answer. What would you like to improve, 1d tricks or 2d? flip a coin.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:56:46 am »
Just try and have a go on all the different diabolos and see what you like as only you know what you'll like.
Bill.

jacky

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:37:38 am »
i think you should just take g2,then when you got money to buy another diabolo then you can buy fly..

Squiggle

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:10:01 am »
Well..How much do you like your finesse at the moment?

I'd get a fly, If you like that get another if not buy a finesse. 

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:45:36 pm »
1 diabolo ftw!

I'd say get yourself a Sun with light washers :) But that's just me, it's all personal preference mate.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
O yeah, i had a question relating to flys and finesses. Are bearing diabolos any good for 2d?(Because i love them and personally hate my finesses - I have 2 finesses in basically mint condition, barely used G3's if anyones interested in buying)

jaigoda

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 02:54:22 pm »
I've actually tried someone else's Fly's, and based on the hour or so I tried 'em, I would say I prefer them over Finesses. But really, I'm not sure if I want to do 1d or 2d, and that's why I asked. I know I still got stuff to learn (and I'm having tons of fun with inf. suicides and genocides), but I'm afraid I'll run out of stuff (in my skill level) to do. I do really like my Finesse and all, but it just doesn't compare to the Fly. And also, I should ask the same question as legault: Are bearings good for 2d? cause I was planning the get a bearing fly, so...

Nahxela

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:58 pm »
It's really up to what you think you'd enjoy more.

I prefer 1D as I'm too lazy to constantly correct 2D and restart after I mess up :(
Plus 1D is more fun and easier to learn :D
2D is just a pain if nobody is around to teach you :(
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Squiggle

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 01:42:37 am »
Yeh, imo Bearing can be good for some 2d.   I don't like them for string control =[ Which sucks as thats my main 2d thing =[

Bearings = Less friction, More spin.  Just getting used to em.

(Only guessing flys are similar to other bearing diabolos in the feel of 2d.)

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:05:46 am »
oh mate, Flys are orgasmic! I don't play with them in bearing mode anymore, maybe later. 2d shuffle with bearings is really wierd, I'm not use to it. Go the suns like Martijn said, I'm getting some crystal suns soon, can't wait!

karl e dangerous

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 10:30:29 am »
1 diabolo ftw!

im sorry you correct my grammer but go and use abbriviations what does ftw mean?

and
but I'm afraid I'll run out of stuff (in my skill level)

what was your skill level when you began, inf suicides and genos i think not, you can always improve your skill level with practice and watching videos
sorry for my bad grammer

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 10:40:07 am »
im sorry you correct my grammer but go and use abbriviations

OMGKEK. Pwned.  :)

(Used that as an excuse to talk crap)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 11:08:22 am »
im sorry you correct my grammer but go and use abbriviations what does ftw mean?

For The Win

(post count exactly 1post/day :o)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Bizzat1

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 02:20:34 pm »
not to bring it to the forums or anything but kek to me sounds like a world of warcraft term ::)... ( its ok i quit :P)

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:23:14 pm »

If you must know, I used an abbreviation to emphasize the style of that sentence.

I can be quite certain when I say my posts are generally better written and proofread than yours, so don't try to be clever. I ignored looby's previous post trying to put the crime in my shoes , but it's getting annoying now. Just try to put some time in the things you post on here. Proofreading and punctuation is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Lily

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »
A fine choice is just wait some weeks to buy both ;) or just buy a fly diabolo, as, i assume, u have already seen that a good skill on 1d is needed to go for 2d...
Bah, someone may buy a extinguisher for the "fires" on this topic too... (don't bite)
Diabolo in Athens is like the sea turtles: you can't say they are extinct, as there are a few left..

Nahxela

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »
Feh. Flame wars are no fun and then the things that go along with it get overused and cliched (stupid flame shield quote)
And overused gaming acronyms D:
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 12:02:11 am »
Kek. Never played that silly game.
Jake told me what it meant.

Get over it.

Oh and although most would say fly over finesse. Personal preferance.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

willum89

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 03:25:41 am »
what about the sun? Only reason I ask is because it seemed like the fly and sun are about the same and the debate over which is better seemed to be inconclusive.....unless the debate was finished in some thread that didn't come up in the search for "fly sun". and "sundia sun"

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 04:22:52 am »
There is not much difference between the fly and the sun. The main difference is the sun has a rubbery material instead of plastic and is not bearing compatible if I call correctly.

So suss that out. If you don't want a bearing, go the sun.

Nahxela

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 12:18:50 am »
There is not much difference between the fly and the sun. The main difference is the sun has a rubbery material instead of plastic and is not bearing compatible if I call correctly.

So suss that out. If you don't want a bearing, go the sun.
And I believe the Suns are more durable in comparison to the Flys

Bizzat1

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 11:30:02 am »
Hmm Ive got a friend with 2 Finesses and a henry circus, hes about to purchase 3 flys without even having seen 1 in real life :-\. crazy in my opinion but food for thought perhaps. I don't know what i prefer as I have never tried any Diabolo but Finesse and Circus. :)

Nahxela

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:57 am »
Hmm Ive got a friend with 2 Finesses and a henry circus, hes about to purchase 3 flys without even having seen 1 in real life :-\. crazy in my opinion but food for thought perhaps. I don't know what i prefer as I have never tried any Diabolo but Finesse and Circus. :)
Originally I hadn't tried any diabolo that I bought :D.
The only ones I have tried out prior to buying was a type of Sundia diabolo.
All my others I hadn't tried before (excluding my third finesse, which was in addition to two I had previously bought).

I've got about 8 different diabolos that I didn't experiment with :)

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 01:58:44 pm »
Why is no one fighting for the side of the finnesse, i have 3 pink g3s, had 2 yellow g2s, have 4 yohos, 3 tiabolos and 2 flys. The finnesse are the best by far, but the tiabolos are ok. I dont like my Flys, they are too easily chewed up (literally by some random dog) and dont feel anywhere near as nice as finnesse.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 02:19:36 pm »
Nobody is fighting for Finesse because everybody likes Flys.  ::) Obviously.
I dont like my Flys, they are too easily chewed up (literally by some random dog)

LOL. Owned.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 02:29:45 pm »
Why is no one fighting for the side of the finnesse
Because they suck imo, but I've never liked finesses, it's like playing with an anorexic diabolo, compared to wide axle flys anyway. The smart random dog must like flys more than finesses too :D

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
I think the fly and the finesse are at opposite ends of the spectrum. They will appeal to different styles. The finesse is all about lightness and stability at low speeds. The fly is a heavier diabolo that is very stable at higher speeds. Different strokes for different folks. Different diabolos for different styles.

As always, the circus is in the middle. Will we all eventually come back to the circus? You've got to admit, despite being the oldest design of the modern diabolos, they've got something good going for them. Quality never dies... well except for those hideous metal hubs. They die.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 03:03:26 pm »
Yeh old skool circus' are mad ;). I'd probably use mine more if they had different hubs (hubs are expensive). The metal is all lumpy and rough, it's just not cricket!

Nahxela

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 05:39:32 pm »
Different strokes for different folks. Different diabolos for different styles.
:D That made me chuckle.

I've always liked the circus over the finesse.
Well, at least after I tried out the circus, since I originally used Finesses before coming into contact with other name brand diabolos.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 06:07:43 pm »
The smart random dog must like flys more than finesses too :D

thats why he bit a chunk of it right out. finnesse are perfect in my opinion. the material is durable and smooth, they last for ages, unlike flys. They don't use up string in copious amounts like fixed flys and the look awesome! flys look like a tiny diabolo thats been photoshopped to look bigger. IMO of course.

EDIT: props to Garner and Pete for rekindling my love for finnesse. Blame them.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 09:35:05 pm »
I hate finesse, their super grippy, and wrap up the string when you try to do tricks.
And they cant hold spin or ufo grind well, or grind at all for that matter.
My best grind with finesse is 10 seconds, with spinabolo a minute and 10 seconds, and i havent gotten my fly yet so iunno with that.

Nahxela

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 10:25:10 pm »
thats why he bit a chunk of it right out. finnesse are perfect in my opinion. the material is durable and smooth, they last for ages, unlike flys. They don't use up string in copious amounts like fixed flys and the look awesome! flys look like a tiny diabolo thats been photoshopped to look bigger. IMO of course.

EDIT: props to Garner and Pete for rekindling my love for finnesse. Blame them.
:o. Your dog bit a whole chunk out...? That's crazy.
And poor diabolo :(

Finesses are alright. They aren't terrible, but I prefer circuses and flys over finesses

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:18 pm »
Quote from: legault
My best grind with finesse is 10 seconds

Then its not spinning fast enough.

with spinabolo a minute and 10 seconds

Its completely unfair to compare a non bearings grind time to a bearing diabolo's grind time.

their super grippy, and wrap up the string when you try to do tricks

Thats either a string or technique issue, seeing as mine don't.

or ufo grind well

Oh well.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 12:45:09 am »
Do you have a photo of your ripped up fly? Flys grind of...ever :D best grind diabolo I can think of.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10:34 pm »
If you want i will post pics of my snapped fly, and the haggard one. I did forget to mention that one of the axles has snapped. It is completely unfair to compare the grind time of a fixed axle and a bearing axle diabolo. As for UFO grinds, they are possible with finnesse, just practise.
:o. Your dog bit a whole chunk out...? That's crazy.

The hilarious thing was that it wasn't my dog, just some random dog came up and walked off with it, deciding to slobber all over it before biting chunks out of it.

Give me a couple of days and i will get pics.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 01:11:44 pm »
I hate finesse, their super grippy, and wrap up the string when you try to do tricks.
Finesse are so smooth! Most importantly, they don't look like toys, or don't look cheap, and they are completely indestructable.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 01:31:48 pm »
they are completely indestructable.

Planet Matt would beg to differ ;)

Nahxela

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 08:05:13 pm »
The hilarious thing was that it wasn't my dog, just some random dog came up and walked off with it, deciding to slobber all over it before biting chunks out of it.

Give me a couple of days and i will get pics.
Well then, I think dogs have a thing for diabolos.
I hope it didn't swallow, that'd be rather tragic for the dog :-\
Does this void your warranty ::)?

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 10:18:20 pm »
Planet Matt would beg to differ ;)
I was talking about Finesse, the dog went for a fly.

-Alex
(That was so badly a 'try', his foot was above the line!)
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 11:17:01 pm »
I think flys look great, their smooth and glossy.
Finesses dont look very professional to me, and since this is a fly vs finesse forum, its quite fair to judge a bearing vs a nonbearing, if your comparing a fly and a finesse

Martijn

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2007, 10:19:09 am »
Why the hell do we have a topic with 3 pages of people saying that the finesse sucks/rules?! I'm sure there are a lot more interesting topics to discuss. It's a matter of personal preference, so please leave the arguing behind and let it to rest.

jacky

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 07:54:28 pm »
well..as a bearing diabolo user i would like to say bearing diabolo is totally not good for 2d,it's hard to get the feeling if you are using bearing diabolo for 2d.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2007, 07:50:20 am »
well..as a bearing diabolo user i would like to say bearing diabolo is totally not good for 2d,it's hard to get the feeling if you are using bearing diabolo for 2d.

I beg to differ Sir
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 03:44:23 pm »
Well, i found the string i was using makes a huge difference in my liking.
I just got 25 meters of henrys yellow, and wow.
It actually made the finesse slippy!
And when i put ivory soap on it...
Then it was just perfect..
They still cant hold too much spin and arent great for vertax though...

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2007, 03:49:35 pm »

They still cant hold too much spin and arent great for vertax though...

No.  You're not great at putting a lot of spin onto them.  And they're not great for Vertax?  Have you seen any Sharpes videos lately?

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2007, 10:52:35 am »
barnesy... i thought you were a fly/circus man? It's nice to see you fighting in the finnesse corner  :)

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2007, 03:51:36 pm »
im more of comparing then to bearings.
Also, There fine for vertax Passing.
I just dont find them great for stuff like vertax double genocides, continuous vertax suns, and vertax bounce genocides.
As well as ufo's because my g3s have the curved in rim, makes more then a one second ufo pretty impossible.

TomMiller

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2007, 06:56:46 pm »
Wrong,A finesse ccan do a long ufo grind,Take a look at pranays diabolo freestyle he does a long ufo grind
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 08:26:11 pm »
Finesse G1's and G2's i beleive.
G3's rim is curved in for stability.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2007, 09:28:20 am »
the rim makes no difference i can still do with both with ease. so can most people.

different diabs for different tricks

lz

still loving finnesse
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2007, 11:52:12 am »
barnesy... i thought you were a fly/circus man? It's nice to see you fighting in the finnesse corner  :)

I'm not all that keen on Finesses, but that's because of the relative narrowness and the angle of the curve of the cups.  I also used to dislike the weight, but my preference changed on that one.  They're not my preferred diabolo, but none of the reasons Legault is criticising them for make any sense, so I corrected him. 

Olive

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2007, 12:40:58 pm »
To join the debate... Flys hurt SO much more when they hit you, it's not really a deciding point when buying them, but finesses bounce off you slightly more. I now can't see out of my right eye and will be playing with my trusty g2s for a few days before my flys are forgiven...

willum89

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »
if you're hitting yourself in the eye then you're doing something wrong......

Martijn

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:28 pm »
Post of the year ;D ^

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 10:20:04 pm »
Maybe you should go to the hospital? If you can't see out of your eye... then that's bad...
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 10:28:50 pm »
if you're hitting yourself in the eye then you're doing something wrong......
Post of the year ;D ^
Hahaha :D Classic Martijn!
Flys don't hurt people, people hurt people.

Nahxela

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:27 am »
Haha, all those posts from Olive's to Miesta's were the best :D.
I'm seriously laughing my ass off!

Ahem... On topic...
Based on Olive's results, we can assume that Flys are made of harder, tougher material.
So don't go hitting your eyes with Flys, stick to using the Finesse if you wish to.

No harshness meant on you, Olive ;)

seán_

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2007, 02:50:39 pm »
I was showing a pretty student some simple tricks at the Leeds Uni club the other night (tempted to leave this post at that :P )

We were working on magic knots and I wanted to show her how you could force floor bounce form one. I wasn't too sure how well flys bounce (and I haven't done this trick in about 4 years) so I gave it P for plenty and managed to bounce it high enough to catch her under the chin.

So they bounce quite well.

karl e dangerous

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:25 pm »
so I gave it P for plenty and managed to bounce it high enough to catch her under the chin.

So they bounce quite well.

awesome i bet she was well impressed, as far as fly/finesse i prefer the tough love a finesse can stand
sorry for my bad grammer