Author Topic: Shefcon 2005!!  (Read 9627 times)

nik

Shefcon 2005!!
« on: February 15, 2005, 04:04:01 pm »
Just to let you all know about "Shefcon" Sheffields annual juggling convention. This year its the 19-20 March and is to be held at goodwins hall like last year. it either £11 or 12 for the 2 days and that includes staying in the hall overnight and the public show on sat night. Its a pretty big place and there should be loads of people there! i really enjoyed it last year and the show lineup looks cool already.
more details on the provisional website at:

www.shef.ac.uk/~ftc/shefcon05.html

note the advertised price has changed, the website will be updated really soon......
it would be great to see a few diabolists there to join me, Dave p and 3-ball Dave will be there too.
cheers!!

seán_

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 04:19:50 pm »
Sorry Nik, that extra few pounds just kills it for me... just kidding.

Leeds lot should be there in force, (we expect the return compliment for our convention, now rescheduled to November). I enjoyed it last year and it will be just the thing to get us in the mood for the BJC.

It will be good to see you lot again.

Seán

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:12:51 pm »
If there's any interest I'll be giving a 3d async workshop. :)

onewheeldave

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 06:43:24 pm »
We've been thinking about games for Shefcon 2005-

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~ftc/shefcon05.html

Some possibilities are:-

1. a blindfold 3-ball endurance (does anyone know what the current records are for this?)

2. Out door three egg distance pass. idea here is that, in teams of two; one member cascades three eggs, then flashes them out to his/her partner over a given distance. If successful the distance is increased, the winning team being the one which passes the greatest distance without mishap.

3. A three-ball trick contest. A search for the new 'mills'- contestents present their best three-ball creation which is judged for style, innovation, sleekness etc. Perhaps with seperate categories i.e. 'best pure 3-ball trick', 'best multiplex' etc.

4. Best Poi move, similar to above, but with poi. Given the progress that technical poi has made recently, it would be interesting to see, and judge, some of the new moves.

Any comment/feedback on the above, plus suggestions for other games, would be great.

I'm sure on this board there could be lots of ideas for diabolo games.

barnesy

• Administrator
Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 06:48:49 pm »
The Shefcon site is very broken in Firefox and Opera.  I think it's because of te two dodgy characters at the start of the html file.

seán_

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 07:36:32 pm »
Quote from: onewheeldave
We've been thinking about games for Shefcon 2005-

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~ftc/shefcon05.html

Some possibilities are:-

1. a blindfold 3-ball endurance (does anyone know what the current records are for this?)

Well after seeing them try on stage at Birmingham I would have thought not too long. However talking to a good juggler he reckons it could be a potentially long one. Luke would probably have an idea though. I do know this if they aren't allowed to bounce it of their chests it will be a lot shorter.

2. Out door three egg distance pass. idea here is that, in teams of two; one member cascades three eggs, then flashes them out to his/her partner over a given distance. If successful the distance is increased, the winning team being the one which passes the greatest distance without mishap.

ah the classic

3. A three-ball trick contest. A search for the new 'mills'- contestents present their best three-ball creation which is judged for style, innovation, sleekness etc. Perhaps with seperate categories i.e. 'best pure 3-ball trick', 'best multiplex' etc.

I cant remember being at a convention where any 'serious' competition like this has been run. I do remember seeing some thoughts about running juggling comps in a kind of jam format, head to head instant judging kind of set up. (there were ideas for and against it :) )

4. Best Poi move, similar to above, but with poi. Given the progress that technical poi has made recently, it would be interesting to see, and judge, some of the new moves.

Last years BJC had a 'how many poi/staff tricks in a minute (different thing all together I know but the only poi game I have seen.

I'm sure on this board there could be lots of ideas for diabolo games.

There were some thoughts about it (and other games) in a recent set of threads on UKjugglers yahoo group. Ones I have seen include
Rolling diabolo with nose (York, nice for children  not so well attended by the older ones)
Diabolo in the box (done to death but great to see the hardcore box on head of volunteer at the Scotish  recently)
Long throw, might work well in the large hall at Sheffcon. I would like to see a version of this with two diabolo passing.
Longest infinite suicide was on offer in Glasgow too. Matt Hall sugested it then missed it :). Only a few went up for it.
2D gladiators, we tried this at Brum, Barnesy took me out within 10 seconds :)[/list:u]

HTH Seán

David LH

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 07:42:56 pm »
2d gladiators was ace!!!! hehe and not just because i won  :P

infinite suicide endurance sounds great, maybe that could turn into gladiators!!

cant wait
So thats how you do three diabolos!

diabololi

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 07:44:45 pm »
I really want to go! It sounds great, but im not sure my mum appreciates juggling conventions enough to drive me up north for a weekend twice in one year  :wink:
Oli

seán_

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 07:53:17 pm »
Quote from: David LH
2d gladiators was ace!!!! hehe and not just because i won  :P

infinite suicide endurance sounds great, maybe that could turn into gladiators!!

cant wait

The infinite suicide thing seemed to go well with the crowd. If It was dragging on then I suppose you could start calling for tricks.
I wouldnt like to be on the recieving end of a ally handstick though ;).

How about cheesiest string climb? :D

Mattias

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 08:01:35 pm »
anyone care to explain the 2D gladiator? Battling which one can hold a shuffle going with sabotage allowed?
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

seán_

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 08:08:00 pm »
pretty much thats it, just get two going see who is doing it last.

Barnesy backed into me at the start but the rest seemed to be making do with far subtler ways ;). I could see some nifty little ways of interupting peoples shuffle that I'm keeping to myself for the next time I get to play this.

Punkerpanda

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 08:26:38 pm »
diabolo basketball?
you would need hoops without nets though since the diabolo will get stuck.

onewheeldave

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 03:52:18 pm »
I'd really like to see a three diadolo endurance (probably 3-low).

I know at least one of the people at sheffcon is going to be able to compete in this, so presumably, with nearly a month to sharpen up those skills, there could be a fair contingent of contenders.

Do you think it should be 3-low? or would you want a seperate 3-high and 3 low, or even a 3 freestyle (anything goes)?

Also, you may want to discuss rules for starting the game to make it fair.

Dave.

Sean

• Administrator
Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 12:08:36 am »
How about s-fan endurance and/or s-fan gladiators.

Now there's a good way to get a rubber burn on your face. :)

Arjan

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 08:20:52 am »
I really like S-Fan endurance!

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 11:24:58 am »
Notice how everyone wants games they know they can win :wink:
Quote from: seán_

Gets my vote!No talent required, just style(or lack of!)

nik

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 11:28:31 am »
Hello! so how do people get quotes from other posts on thiers?? i couldnt work it out...
anyway i just wanted to say if ya thinkin about using the train to travel from down south(oli) then make sure you book a bit early its so much cheaper.

oh and the show looks better and better, matt from sheffield has sorted an act from sweden, apparently expected to perform seven clubsand some other crazy stuff in the show!!  
i cant wait... be cool to see everyone who is coming too!

seán_

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 12:36:42 pm »
Quote from: Dave P
Notice how everyone wants games they know they can win :wink:

Gets my vote!No talent required, just style(or lack of!)

May I refer the honourable gentleman from Sheffield to his performance at the renegade at this years Bradford :)

Admittedly the 3 low asynch might have gone a long way to cover it up but I'm sure you had thoughts of how to test out a possible string climb for just a situation as a 'cheesiest string climb'

Seán

Nik, click the quote button in the post you want to quote, a bit of cutting and pasting if you want to do multiple quotes. more help in the FAQ

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 04:00:41 pm »

May I refer the honourable gentleman from Sheffield to his performance at the renegade at this years Bradford :)

'Tis true, I have had a little practice in this ancient artform :wink:

Mat Smiglarski

Shefcon 2005!!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 03:47:07 pm »
Just to let you know, the websites been changed completely, www.shef.ac.uk/~ftc/shefcon05.html and it will continue to get updated until the convention.

Cheers then, Mat