Author Topic: Differnece between Chinese yo yo and Diabolo  (Read 9172 times)

tanh3

Differnece between Chinese yo yo and Diabolo
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:55:16 am »
Hi all i'm new and i've been using a chiense yo yo. and i want to know the difference between chinese yo yo's and diablo's.
whats the pro's and cons of each as well.

Shaun

• Donator
Re: Differnece between Chinese yo yo and Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:19:50 am »
Hi
Why did you post the same question in two different places? This should be in the 'gear' section.
I always thought chinese yoyos and diabolos were the same thing, just different name, but I could be wrong.

TomMiller

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:35:09 am »
Chinese yoyos are wooden and have a long wooden axle,They have a different cup shape to most diabolos

Diabolos have a metal axle and they can be customized
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:48:32 pm »
chinese yoyos look like a barbell, diabolos look like an hourglass. :P

tanh3

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:51:55 pm »
Sorry about posting in 2 locations.. :-\
Which is more ideal for performing?
which can last longer in spinning?
With the chinese yo yo, i feel like i lose spin extremely fast and my trick combinations tend to lose a lot of spin after 2/3 trick.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:15:20 pm »
Generally diabolo's are better for performing and doing tricks because they are designed for that. The design of chinese yoyos hasn't changed in a long time and are still sticking to the traditional style.

That's the main difference I find.
Behind your back is your front.

willum89

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:36 pm »
the diabolo tends to be better balanced and a lot better for performing and spin time.

diabolofreak617

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:39:49 pm »
Even though I have never tried a Chinese yo-yo, I think of it as more of a recreational toy rather than performance tool. From the videos I've seen with Chinese yo-yo's being used, the person spins the yo-yo and then does a short trick, then the person spins the yo-yo again and does another short trick. With diabolos, the tricks can be seamlessly strung together.

For some reason diabolos just look more professional to me (it could just be those streamlined cups and axle  8)). Plus with diabolos you won't get that whistling noise that you get with most Chinese yo-yos.

Generally diabolo's are better for performing and doing tricks because they are designed for that. The design of chinese yoyos hasn't changed in a long time and are still sticking to the traditional style.

I'll buy that, the Chinese yo-yo probably hasn't changed much since the dawn of it's existence. 
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:41:09 pm »
The chinese yoyo spins faster, because of the large hollow space between the 2 wheels.

tanh3

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 05:15:11 pm »
so you guys got me convinced about diablo's,
now whats the difference between the weights of the them? from light to medium and heavy, also the soft and hard ones?

???

TomMiller

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 05:17:33 pm »
soft and hard ones,Theres plastic or rubber i prefer finesse beacuse there light and rubbery but alot of people say circuses are better but both of em are great
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

tanh3

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:04 pm »
the chinese yo yo's help you determine how fast your spinning. Louder the whistling the faster its spinning vice versa.
and i've seen on chineseyoyo.net they sell a chinese diabolo set which is the diablo casing around the hollow part of the chinese yoyo.

whats the difference of heavy diabolo's and the light ones?

willum89

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 07:45:49 pm »
the weight of diabolos has been addressed elsewhere. Basically you want a heavy diabolo as it will maintain speed longer. While at the same time if it's too heavy you'll probably get tired easily for awhile. I probably wouldn't use anything more than 280g but that's just me. Having started with chinese yo yos I have to say that diabolos tend to be heavier so just be ready for that. You don't want a light diabolo because it will slow down and you won't be able to do a whole lot of tricks. Suicides and other tricks that involve swinging the diabolo around tend to screw up easily with light diabolos.

n3mo

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 04:55:11 am »
im also a chinese yoyo to diabolo convert.
chinese yoyo has wheels, and makes a sound when you play; diabolo has cups and is silent (unless you drop it =D)

in terms of play, they play exactly the same, except that chinese yoyo's tend to lose spin quickly in comparison, and are not very stable at low speeds. the slits that make the sound are also quite dangerous. string too, i use cotton string for yoyo, but henry's yellow for diabolos. weight depends on the yoyo, i find them a little lighter usually (although there are some huge chinese yoyos which are quite heavy).
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Nahxela

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 12:38:48 am »
Note how all the converts are of some Asian origin (mainly Chinese/Taiwanese/Malaysian) ._.

I fit the above >_>
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Midoryu

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 12:05:09 am »
Well, I'm of Taiwanese origin myself, so I can give you a more detailed background if you'd like:

Chinese yo-yo's:  The people above are quite correct.  The chinese yo-yo has retained its design ever since the dawn of time, so the performance is a lot worse than a diabolo.  The chinese yo-yo, as tanh3 said, can tell you how fast it's going because of the sound it makes.  Louder=faster, softer=slower.  As well, CYY's are now made of plastic and has a metal core, so that it won't break as much as wooden ones! ;) ;D :P  Plus, they're much heavier, so it's really easy to spin really fast (by the way, I hate using cotton.  It ALWAYS tangles, so I rely on red nylon, which starts fast but slows just as fast as well.  What can you do?).  Anyways, I think it's better using a CYY first, so that a diabolo can be much easier to use afterwards.

Diabolos:  Here it is...What all of this is all about:  The Diabolo!!!  With its awesomely sleek and aerodynamic design, it's the ideal improvement from the CYY.  I think it was started in Europe in about the 1800's (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Anyways, the diabolo is definitely a plus, because it's much lighter, so it spins for a longer duration of time.  Plus, diabolos don't break as easily as CYY's, and if you listen closely, you'll notice a small whirring coming from the diabolo.  Obviously, the louder the whirring, the faster it goes (and vice versa).  Not that I'm saying you don't know all of this, but the thing is, CYY's are good for training, while diabolos are good for performance.  That is why it's better to train with a chinese-yo-yo first, then carrying out the tricks on the diabolo.

Last tedious tidbit:  Like someone above said, the chinese yo-yo has flat faces, and looks like a dumbell, while a diabolo looks like an hourglass.  Most people don't really understand that, so I thought I'd make it clear.

HHH                     HHH
                HHH----           ---HHH
                HHH     ---...---    HHH
                HHH     ---...---    HHH
                HHH----           ---HHH

||                  ||
                ||||             ||||
                ||||||        ||||||
                |||||||O|O|||||||
                ||||||        ||||||
                ||||             ||||
                ||                  ||

(I apologize for the horrible grapic representation... :P)

If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:34:29 am »
Code: [Select]
HH         HH
HH__     __HH
HH  -- --  HH
HH    X    HH
HH  -- --  HH
HH¯¯     ¯¯HH
HH         HH

OOO         OOO
  OOO     OOO
   OOO   OOO
   OOO\ /OOO
     OOXOO
   OOO/ \OOO
   OOO   OOO
  OOO     OOO
OOO         OOO

just thought I'd improve on your graphics a bit :D

Chinese Yo-Yo top
Diabolo bottom
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Nahxela

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 12:04:52 am »

Or we could just be diligent, not lazy, and find an actual picture comparing the two :P
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

n3mo

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:11 am »
true enough. that is one hell of a beat up yoyo though. and those are quite unstable...there's another model that's just as stable as a diabolo at decent speeds.
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Nahxela

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:16 am »
Haha, yeah, those aren't actually mine.
I have a SundiaSports brand Chinese yoyo (and a mono-yoyo/diabolo) which is much better than the traditional kind and a broken one :(

Midoryu

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 03:46:22 am »
I'd recognize those marble and cheap and cold/hard floor tiles anywhere...Where did you get the picture, Nahxela?  Those floor tiles are Taiwanese!

tanh3

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 04:05:39 am »
Midoryu thanks for the information!
I got a hold of a diabolo and its extremely light like you said. the downfall of it is knowing how fast its going, but i'm growing accustomed to  it.

Nahxela

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 12:01:16 am »
I'd recognize those marble and cheap and cold/hard floor tiles anywhere...Where did you get the picture, Nahxela?  Those floor tiles are Taiwanese!
No. Not exactly Taiwanese... More like a school's flooring.

Midoryu

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 04:17:54 am »
Well, whichever place they are from, it still brings back old memories...