Author Topic: Problem: String wearing too fast, questions on 2d etc.  (Read 1380 times)

The_New_diaboloist

Problem: String wearing too fast, questions on 2d etc.
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:17:48 am »
Hey everyone.

I'm pretty new (skillwise) and have just decided to start getting serious. I currrently have one Circus Diabolo, but have realized that with the metal hubs (I use alu's) the string usually wears out within a week. I'm using the neon string from jugglingstore.com, and it's pretty expensive if you have to change it every week or so.

My (first) question is, how would I slow the weaing down? I have looked into getting the plastic/teflon hubs (mostly the ultralight kit from Jugglingstore.com, I'll post a link in a bit), and was wondering if there are any known problems with the new hubs. Also, would they slow the wearing of the string down at all?

Second Question: Should I think about getting a completely different diabolo? I was thinking of the Finnese g3, but realized that the cups on the Finesse aren't as elasticy as the Circus', and if you bend them pretty hard, it could warp forever. I didn't really like the thought of having to be that careful with my diabolos (not that I don't look after 'em, just if somehow it gets bent, I don't want that to be the end of it).

Third: For 2d, I have heard alot about non-bearing diabolos (Flys and Spinabolo), are they good for 2d, worth it, and which one should I think about getting?

Fourth (last one, I promise :P), What type of string would you all recommend, in terms of quality, and price-vs-quantity.

Thank you all in advance, and if anyone needs more information, I'll be happy to supply it.

TND

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: Problem: String wearing too fast, questions on 2d etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:20 am »
First there are plenty of threads that already contain all the information you are looking for, perhaps look into the "Search" function on the forum. I won't find the threads for you because I can just give you the quick answer.

1. To slow down string wear, your technique will have to get better. Not sure about the Circus and how it wears the string. Also changing it every week is about average if, I'm pretty sure, I change it about every two weeks because I'm cheap.

2. I use Finesse G3's and they are great diabolos, but if you already have a Circus, I think that it would be better for you if your looking into two diabolo just to buy the upgrade hubs, and another Circus.

3. Fly and Spinabolo are BEARING diabolos, and Finesse and Circus are NON-BEARING diabolos, just to clarify. They are not as good for multiple diabolos because the axle doesn't provide resistance against the string, and so you will be working harder to keep the shuffle.

4. Henry's Yellow, hands down. Put a little bit of soap on it wash it off, and you have the best string in the world.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?