Author Topic: Diabolo Strings - What's good, what's bad?  (Read 16580 times)

willum89

Diabolo Strings - What's good, what's bad?
« on: October 26, 2007, 03:33:30 am »
I felt the need to make this thread because there wasn't one for me to figure out what to get. Hopefully it's not just me who finds Henry's string a tad on the expensive side. So I've gone all around this forum trying to find alternatives to Henry's and I just want to help others out by putting all the information I've gathered into one place. If you try some sort of alternative string please post about it in here so we can have a massive string encyclopedia. Try to be as exact as possible in describing the product so people can be sure what they're buying is what's described here.

Higgins Brothers - Euro Diabolo String (yellow) 25meters ~ $8
It is rather grippy though tightly knit and bright neon yellow. Currently I've started using it for long string since the grip doesn't affect long string tricks very much. The string tends to wrap up very easily with just 1 wrap, if you're being very careful you can speed it up a bit but it reaches a point where if your diabolo is spinning very very fast it'll wrap up. (Passed in a diabolo sped up with a different string, the moment a loop was placed around the diabolo the Euro Diabolo String caused it to wrap up) Giving the string just a little too much slack will cause it to wrap up as well, so it is rather difficult to use for beginners who can't control the slack perfectly. I'll often have trouble with slack in orbit acceleration and the diabolo will either wrap up on the left or even on the right.
Opinion: wouldn't use for anything besides long string or to tie up ornaments in the yard.

Everbilt - Mason Twine #18 (yellow) 100% Nylon 250feet ~ $5
Not as tightly knit as the Euro Diabolo String (yellow) but same color. Grips even more and is just plain bad. The string feels like it's pretty tight when on the spool but off the spool it is so very soft and cuddly and COMPLETELY not fit for diabolo.
Opinion: why oh why?? Don't get this. *NOTE: I'm not saying that ALL Mason Twine is bad; in some threads people have claimed it is rather good. Just don't get Everbilt because it just isn't any good for diabolo.

The Warm Company - Warm Window 2mm Cord 20yards (Item #4243)~ $5
It is a cord used for window blinds and is available through various fabric/crafts stores. Just got it and haven't used it extensively though it will go through a 2 hour practice session tomorrow and I will update this thread with any new discoveries. Very tightly knit but also a little stiff. The stiffness hasn't affected play at all so I don't believe it's a problem though it might be a bit annoying for those who are into slackwhips. Starts off with enough grip for hover acceleration while smooth enough that there aren't wrap up problems.
Opinion: After using for awhile it basically became diaboloing with junk worse than Higgins so don't bother buying any.

Henry - Any color diabolo string ~ I don't even care to think about how much it is including shipping.
Most preferred by just about everyone who has used it. I personally haven't used it because I have yet to come across someone to bum string off of and I don't feel like ordering it from across the Atlantic.
Opinion: get this if you can, but the purpose of this thread is to look for alternatives, so.....I refuse to give in to the brain washing of the Henry's strings. You who use Henry's string, you have all been enslaved, forced to purchase expensive string forever while the rest of us are throwing money here and there trying various strings.  :o
Hopefully this will help some people out and not result in the random buying of string and praying that it works.

Mister Babache - Performance string ~ I'd assume somewhere around the price for Henry's
It seems that some people like it while other Henry's addicts find it to be junk. One thing MB users tend to agree on is the fact that the coreless wears out quickly so if you're going to try MB string make sure it's cored.
Opinion: I only checked jugglingstore.com and it's $20 there so I'd personally choose to be enslaved by Henry's before trying MB.

seán_

Re: Diabolo Strings - What's good, what's bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:53:40 am »
Good Henrys Coloured (some dont like the slip when new)
Passable Babache (some find it a bit wrappyuppy, others feel its good to go and slacks well)
Bad Pretty much everything else. (tried so far)

Everyone finds diabolo string stupidly expensive for what it is but you'll probably find that people have bit the bullet and see it as a necessary evil.
You buy Henrys (or if strange Babache :P) and you know what you are getting (and generally how to get it relatively painlessly). Start converting the prices into cans of coke, burgers or whatever and suffer for your art.

Your on the right track with your last suggestion, Henrys Yellow is purported to be sourced from blind cord (some say kite bridle). Probably a bit thinner than the one you found. the coloured feels stiffer (because of the process some believe) than the white but magically works.

If you find a decent replacement for Henrys yellow let us know (you have used it as a baseline?) Or keep the source to yourself and go into business. :)

BTW http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=342
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=27
people have looked into it everything from masons twine, blind cord, fishing line etc etc but when you get down to it there is a reason people use the big 2.

willum89

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:15:31 am »
ha, maybe i need to learn to use the search.....never seen those threads before. oh well, maybe i'll try some of that kite string and stuff and still post about it in here so other search challenged individuals like myself don't have to try as hard. oh and if you're ever in taiwan/china check out some of the stores there for string. A friend of mine got a big roll of string from taiwan a long time ago and the string is great, but he can't remember where he got it and there is no brand/name or any info on the spool.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:19:46 am »
Granted, searching can be tricky at times, but having a quick scroll through the Gear sticky at the top of this forum is pretty easy (and often neglected!).

I'd say bite the bullet. At the rate you go through the stuff it's really not that expensive. Most of these slippery top quality strings last much longer than anything else. Henrys yellow especially. The benefits of using good quality string make it worth it to most. Besides, by the time you spend money trying everything else first you'll be spending a lot more.

But, hey, if you want to discover that magical cheap string and let us all know, be my guest!

willum89

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:55:58 pm »
Yeah, the problem I find with stickies and stuff is that I have no idea what information is still accurate. Maybe I'm just being too cautious now since Higgins switched up their "yellow string" and I ended up buying useless junk and now have to pay for the shipping again to send them back.  :-[

Anyways, anyone used MB Performance string before? http://www.jugglingstore.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=131 I want to try some other stuff before I go to Henry's, I fear the several weeks of complaining I'll get from the little kids about it being too slippery. They don't practice a whole lot so it's gonna take them forever to wear it in.

Jon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:47:06 pm »
I am using the yellow MB performance string at the moment and, even though I can't compare it to anything else because I only got my first diabolo a few months ago, it seems fine. When it's new you can do one, or even two wraps if your careful, without the string wrapping up. However, it seems to be quite short-lasting and gets dirty fairly quickly.

TomMiller

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:51:24 pm »
hi there Jon,Mb String does get dirty quite quick maybe thats beacuse its coreless,Try henrys its much longer lasting than mb and is more slippery when you use up youre Mb string try henrys yellow
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

john_s

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 07:42:27 pm »
i'd just bite the bullet and go for the henrys string. it's by far the best quality string available, and if you're worried about it being too slippy and not wearing in quick enough, go for the soap technique (or buy some henrys string other than yellow, i've found green breaks in a lot quicker). either way it'll save you money in the long run, and you'll get the best diabolo string around.

double whammy.

/john

Moabiter

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:29:28 pm »
 I used the henry's yellow, but when i wasted all my supplies I bought the classic cheap white string from local shop and I am satisfied with it :)

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 11:17:07 pm »
Hey, if you are ever around San Antonio, I'll give you a length of Henry's Yellow string, so that you can try it out.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 11:17:38 pm »
mr b performance is cored. its doesn't last ANYWHERE NEAR as long as henrys. but different strings for different tricks

bear that in mind

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 02:02:44 pm »
mr b performance is cored.

Really? It was coreless the last time I used it. -Close to two years ago bear in mind.
Behind your back is your front.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 02:06:33 pm »
i assure you it is, i use pretty much nothing else,

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Jon

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 03:29:54 pm »
Yeah, my MB string is cored too, it's probably the old MB string that isn't.

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:36 pm »
and again the yellow Mr MB is the best!(a conspiracy theory i think!) Corded stuff is great but it is expensive because you do get through it at a rate of knots! (sorry for the pun) but seriously if you can afford to keep replacing it, its well worth it.

mofro
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

diabolofreak617

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 01:41:29 pm »
Yeah, my MB string is cored too, it's probably the old MB string that isn't.

I just purchased a pair of Xtreme handsticks and the Mr. B string (white) that was included definitely doesn't have a core. Maybe I just got a defective string length because it really doesn't play that well in my opinion (probably because I'm addicted to Henry's string :)). 
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

willum89

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
Has anyone tried Sundia string? If so, what color and what do you think of it.

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 11:35:20 am »
I just purchased a pair of Xtreme handsticks and the Mr. B string (white) that was included definitely doesn't have a core.   
i never even knew that you could get mr MB string in white maybe you got conned!
 :P
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

diabolofreak617

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 01:12:09 pm »
i never even knew that you could get mr MB string in white maybe you got conned!
 :P

Oh yes it comes in white although the only good aspect I can find is that it doesn't get dirty really quickly. I found myself quickly switching back to Henry's yellow.

I believe that there was a short review about Sundia string in one of the fly diabolo threads although I'm not sure where it is. 
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

lowe

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 12:18:02 pm »

yea ive tried sundia, i got a small reel of white string with my new fly, all i can say is that it doesnt last very long. After a few days of 1 to 2 hours use it starts to fray and becomes realy grippy and wraps the diabolo when its spinning fast. (i usually play with my fly tightened btw)