Author Topic: BENEFIT OF PLAYING DIABOLO  (Read 8645 times)

jacky

BENEFIT OF PLAYING DIABOLO
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:05 pm »
i'am writing a proposal of a diabolo workshop so i would like to ask you guys what's the benefit of playing diabolo,i could only think of they can improve their teaching skill if the are in another lever and they can learn a skill of diabolo art..

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Re: BENEFIT OF PLAYING DIABOLO
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 10:48:18 pm »
Hand eye coordination, meeting new people and learning to be creative are a few.
Behind your back is your front.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:05 pm »
I heard a couple of years ago that juggling (and i suppose diabolo) can help with:
ADHD
dysgraphia
coordination
Self esteem/confidence
Stress (its relaxing)
It teaches concentration, patience, timing, tracking skills, gross and fine motor skills
As well as the social and creative elements of diabolo (like guppygould said).

jacky

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:15:54 am »
wow...that sure help me alot.thanks alot

nicodemus

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:32:23 am »
Sorry, I'm too tired and tipsy to search for it right now, but if you check out rec.juggling (jugglingdb.com/news)within the last month or so there was some interesting article thingy linked about the benefits of juggling to children in primary school, learning to read, etc.

I would like to think that it encourages creative thinking, but that's just me.

jacky

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:49:51 am »
really thanks alot..hope that i can make diabolo very popular in singapore..wish me good luck:)

Kobe

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:20:07 pm »
There are really much benefits of circus and diabolo. I'm making a whole essay over it in dutch. I don't have the time by now to translate it in english. But I've translated it with altavista. So the translation is really bad. I hope you, and everyone else, can do something with it.

"Why circus?
Circus has a lot of advantages on pedagogical area.
Thanks to circus techniques reach you with few resources very fast a successful experience: young people feel therefore immediately that they can reach also something with the necessary exercise. And that is certainly true it at deprived young people for twists. If you become from young to tell that you might nothing, then they jump a breach in air when they see that they are possible, however, something. As a result, they have been motivated also enormously. Children learn set up more than only a red nose.

By the familiarisation with many circus techniques such as to juggle, twin wheel, acrobatics, trapeze, trampoline and this way further, they find certainly their gading in something. Personally and in group they undergo therefore a terrible development. Because a something else is possible as the other, they develop admiration for each other, they know where the difficulty lies.
Thus they get in the first place respect of each other and for each other. This is respect which she had deserve differently in a different way. On the street for example. And instead of hanging on the street, or in more terrible cases, have they fight now physical contact in a positive manner, they even do acrobatics with two, three or with the complete group. By this type exercises they must cooperate. For this reason circus does not belong also to sport, where competition central state.

Cooperation is necessary a distinguished final result reach. Everyone must cooperate and each other to trust. Such as you sees there be therefore numerous advantages to circus. As all the learned skills also outside the context of circus used have to the children already much are learned.
But the list of advantages go still further. During the year the children their coordination and balance are trained, and also concentration is a point which cannot forget become. If one equally which circus technique wants learn one must concentrated to work. This concentration can be transferred then to situations which are nothing to do with circus. At the end of the year, to the end action, they learn their ideas and put ideas in an effective act. Them experienced tension, comes in stress situations, and feels how it is for a group stand.
 Here too the aspect comes work respect on the other side to learn them somewhere naartoe and there also a responsibility to propose. If they do not succeed a part of the act has failed. It is most important the balance that there sits between respect which you get, and the responsibility which you must take. Already already it is during the year a nice and useful pastime, what ensures a basis of contacts, both with co-students and speculators. It is more than circus techniques only. There is started with a heap individu's, and these are gradually formed to a strong group friends."

If anyone has questions, just ask! I can translate good it but it takes me a lot of time. (and I wanna spend it in diaboling ;) )

Kobe

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:55:01 pm »
Kobe, perhaps you can break up the massive paragraph into smaller ones for our poor eyes and for easier reading?

Edit - danke

Longer edit -

I agree with many of the points in Kobe's little essay paragraph. This summer, I worked  in a program directed to street kids to try and introduce circus skills as a method of training life skills (see my sig link for more info): respect, concentration, cooperation, responsibility, etc. Juggling also, quite simply, improves your mental capacity since you're actively solving an assortment of puzzles - the tricks themselves.

It is an activity, however, that appeals to few and is needed for many. Kind of the downside to trying to teach to people who could use the life skill training.

-Duncan

pippy

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 08:50:39 pm »
I think one thing no one has really mentioned is that its a hobby.  Its an interest you can talk to others about and show them it/ teach em a little bit of the basics. So t'is good for making non juggling friends too, let alone showing off to girls you like :D

Also as a hobby, it's something to concentrate on and something good to think about when your life goes to the ****s.  Just look at the thread sayin 'you your obsessed with diabolo when...'!
Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 09:29:03 pm »
I know for a fact that my reflexes has gotten crazy fast since I got into diabolo. Now, whenever I or someone around me drop something (like a sanwich or a glass, a pair of keys or whatever) I can usually catch it on the way down without thinking about it. Maybe not the most important thing the diabolo teaches but pretty convenient skill at least.

Also, everything that´s already been said are great reasons to do Diabolo. It would be harder to come up with reasons not to practice.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:32:49 pm »
Diabolo/juggling or just a physical hobby is great for study breaks. It takes your mind off the work your doing, so when you go back in your mind is fresh and ready to begin again. In other words, it reduces cognitive overload. I'm always playing diabolo when I should be doing uni assignments, it increases the quality of my writing too.

Midoryu

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:19:34 am »
I do a lot of around the legs, so I can definitely say that playing diabolo helps build your arm muscles exponentially.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 06:06:39 am »
I do a lot of around the legs, so I can definitely say that playing diabolo helps build your arm muscles exponentially.
Especially if your using harlequins!

Martin_

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 01:04:34 am »
Pulling the opposite sex  ;). I kid you not, my last gf was thoroughly impressed by the old diabolo skills. It shows commitment and putting your heart into something and doing it well. Which are quite attractive features, at least i think so!

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:53:13 am »
hmm, dont know about pulling the girls...depends on what they're into. If your good and style it up, then it might, trick robots have less chance imo, looks boring.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 04:29:50 pm »
Quote from: Martin_
Pulling the opposite sex
True, but at the same time it can have the opposite effect where they just dismiss you as a "freak" for playing with a toy they use in the circus. Unbeleiveably some people just think its "sad" to spend hours a day practicing with some little toy shaped like an hourglass. Clearly they are all wrong. :P

And another point, its generally a good physical activity. Burns a few calories, good range of movement, keeps you supple, get your heart rate up a bit if you're trying something really physical too.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

pippy

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »
They may call you a freak at first unless you show them something impressive and attempt a charming conversation.  Then your in there!  As for peeps who can't believe how long you spend doing it, I just ask em what they enjoy doing and how long they do that for.  Generally they say football so you just yawn say 'how orginal... so what can you do with a ball then?' Just laugh as they attempt an around the world with their ball, ah good times
Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol.

mellowscholar

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 07:52:37 pm »
In terms of exercise I find loop diabolo is much more tiring, mainly on the triceps(?).

jammy

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25:27 pm »
I add a pretty bad Accident nearly 2years ago,where i cut my main artiera in my right arm,as well as cutting my gruides and ligaments!  >:(
the doctors said that i would not be able to use my hand so upto 2years or so,but i started just playing with my diabolos just spinning them,not doing crazy trick!
i went to a appoint so they could check my progress,and they could not believe how well i add came on.
i was asked how i mangered it,and it diabolo!
thats one of the benefits
another is the people you meet such as SPINK and SAMBO and of course that GINGER TOM lol
Ìf¤¡ñºÐøû߆°G°¡†¤Õù†°

Midoryu

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 05:08:13 am »
Jammy, you are a miracle.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].