Author Topic: String vibration  (Read 2487 times)

bugboy

String vibration
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:15:42 pm »
Hey guys,
A couple of weeks ago I was doing really high tosses out into the street, and I was missing a few. Then I was accelerating, and the diabolo started to make like a rattling noise.  Then all of a sudden the half unscrewed, and both cups and all of the parts spilled out all over my deck.  It think it unscrewed since it was crashing against the asphalt, causing the nuts to loosen.
I figured out how to assemble the diabolo, but now the string tends to vibrate noticeably when the diabolo spins very fast on the string.
Do I have to take apart the diabolo again, re-assemble it and try it then?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Anders :)

Beni

Re: String vibration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:45 pm »
You've probably made it unbalanced. What diabolo do you use?
If it's finnesse, then you have to experiment with the markings on the cups to find the right balance.

Beni

bugboy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:42:57 pm »
I use a Henry's Jazz with the Henry's string.

Conor

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:08:05 pm »
it might be that you havent tightened it up enough, my diabolo does that if it isnt completely tight.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:09:05 pm »
You've probably made it unbalanced. What diabolo do you use?
If it's finnesse, then you have to experiment with the markings on the cups to find the right balance.

Beni

I never paid attention to thoses marks and manipulated the cups a lot to try out some stuff with wide axels and they've always been fine, I doupt the problem come from here.

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12:16 am »
I never paid attention to thoses marks and manipulated the cups a lot to try out some stuff with wide axels and they've always been fine, I doupt the problem come from here.

i thought this too but it really dose make a difference if your diab starts wobbling out, just move the cups so that they are in line, and i bet my carbons on it that it will aid (not nessairly fix) the problame.
mofro
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

Luc

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 12:24:42 pm »
I have a Jazz. It's very quick and when my string starts to get worn and a little over grippy (when your Henry's yellow has gone through Henry's green and blue and become Henry's brown) it does cause a small vibration on the leading hand side.

It's not serious and I've accounted it to the direction of spin and the grip on the string causing a "slacking effect" as the axle pushes the string under it which re-tenses when the weight of the diabolo prevents it from climbing.

If it's too bad for you to continue, try new string and (just in case) check your axle for rust or damage.

If you're using aluminium sticks, the sound of the vibration will carry all the way up the string and down the sticks. Build up lots of speed, then hold them together like a tuning fork and put your ear close. It won't solve your problem but I thought it was interesting listening to the diabolo that way (sad but true).
monkey see... monkey do.

bugboy

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:59 pm »
I don't think that my string is the problem.  Yesterday it got back into its original super-smooth play, so I figure that the cups need to be in that 'sweet spot.'
I'm just going to fool around with it and tighten more and see what happens.