Author Topic: Diabolo tennis history  (Read 3818 times)

billfro

Diabolo tennis history
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:41:51 am »
Thought everyone would like to see this.

In the general description of Diabolo on one of the sites, it said that the craze swept England and France in November, 1907.  Here is a link to an actual photo from November, 1907 where Diabolo tennis is being played in New York City (likely Central Park).  I don't know how long this link will be active as this photo is for sale:  http://www.mmgcollectibles.com/images/L/LV/LV793f.jpg

If anyone want to buy it, here is the link to the photo on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Photo-PLAYING-DIABOLO-New-York-1907_W0QQitemZ350005461434QQihZ022QQcategoryZ50129QQcmdZViewItem

All the best,

Bill

Beni

Re: Diabolo tennis history
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:59:47 am »
I can't believe no one has replied to this!
Diabolo tennis is quite a cool idea, just need 3 other diaboloists...

Beni
it said that the craze swept England and France in November, 1907
(Celebrating 100 years of diabolo)

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:02:33 am »
at bristol convention we played a few rounds of tennis but it ended up being more like 'just throw it and see who catches it'. its actually quite hard. we were playing with 2 diabolos, so you had one and caught the second, and we were playing with lots of lefties and righties, but it was fun!

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:46:10 pm »
so, it's basically tennis without the ball hitting the ground? that sounds like fun, whats even better is my friend billy is on the tennis team, and he has taught like everyone on it how to diabolo yay!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Beni

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:50:46 am »
so, it's basically tennis without the ball hitting the ground?

Badminton?

sasha

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:19:37 pm »
its a fun idea, like volley-ball, but you should use like one diabolo per man to make it interesting, and rules  like "you may not have the diabolo onstring for more then 5 seconds after catch" and stuff like that.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 07:37:22 pm »
I hear "International Diabolo Tennis Association" coming about ::)
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
I and a few others played excaliburtennis over a volleyballnet (much too high) at the 05 or 06 Berlinconvention. Need less to say it was difficult abecause of the height of the net. The best we managed was five throws counting serve. It was good fun though trying bouncetechniques and flying whipcatches. With a lower net and a "sandcourt" so you can throw yourself it could develop into a very fun game.

Tomko401

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 04:55:24 am »
Wish more people diaboled in my town.  Pretty much only 3 people :'(
TOMKO

marcdblo

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:50:33 pm »
In our diabolo class we will sometimes play a type of tennis based on a skateboarding game.
You must do a trick pass the diabolo your friend must then do that trick if they dont they get a letter and you start again until they make the trick then you change the trick.Ie.H all the way till HORSE if you get to HORSE you lost!--although we play it SKATE for skateboarding, like tony hawks game I believe.
Great way to learn and have a laugh.

Beni

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:43:02 am »
I like to call that game **** or ******* ::).
Seems like a good idea, tried it with Sam (onemanband) over a year ago and got hung up on the second trick; inside/outside suns! It was a trick I had never picked up in my beginner days.

Beni

marcdblo

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:48 am »
Thats why you stick with it because if you cant do the trick your mate obviously can and can then show you,great for learning new tricks because of that and I suppose thats why it tends to get referred to as **** or *******.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:30:32 pm »
me and pete used to do that alot for a title of 'god'