Author Topic: sundia one-sided fly  (Read 3871 times)

n3mo

sundia one-sided fly
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
i only saw passing mention of this, it seems to be a new product.

the cup is the same as the fly - the sales guy literally pulled a cup straight off a fly to make this in the color i asked. they rotate a lot (like any other one-sided), but in vertax, they are very stable. aside from the bearing wide axle (which feels the same as a normal wide fly), the bottom tip rotates freely in both directions, making for a really long spin time when balancing in the hand and such.

only thing - beware wooden floors. the tip can and will damage anything less hard than itself.

edit// got a picture of me balancing it in my palm, its much easier than the traditional one i've been playing with.

- Princeton Juggling Club -

fzzyrn

Re: sundia one-sided fly
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:56:45 am »
i see you have the lighter suns there also.

the wood floor thing might just be the fatal flaw for me though, because other than that i only have carpet (which it can't spin on, right?)

n3mo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:00 am »
found these at the sundia shop in taiwan.

yeah, those are the lighter suns, the guy said they are the same weight as flys, and it plays very well.

it can't, but i find it more fun to balance these on my palm =D
i've actually seen videos (its a bunch of rather old chinese men) balancing traditional one-sided on their feet, elbows, and any other semi flat body part you can imagine =P

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:07:44 am »
those are the lighter suns, the guy said they are the same weight as flys
Weren't the old ones the same weight as the flys (if you switched the washers)? The new ones should be lighter at 260g.

These look very neat - I'd love to try one out. Thanks for the review. Hasn't Nev been selling them in his shop?
http://www.diabolomoves.com/diabolos/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=98

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:27:29 am »
whats the deal with one sded diabolos?? ther not as cool as normal ones
what do they have that normal diabolos dont?? >:(
lol

Aside from your lack of vowels, and punctuation. One sided diabolos are like a diabolo/spin top hybrid you can play like a spin top and like a diabolo. If you knew how to read, or even look at pictures you could see that he balanced the spin top in his hand and on a floor or anything really.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Ethan

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:38:23 am »
those things are sweet, i like the idea with the counter weight with a fly, gonna start looking around for some
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher

nev

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:21:46 am »
Yep - I've had those in stock for about 6 months now.

They are a lot of fun to play with and are definitely easier than the traditional ones at first - due to the bearing.
Standard set up is for the traditional method of cup towards you at the start (so any vertax needs to be done backside) - but you can also switch the bearing if you prefer for western vertax (cup away from you at start)

The early ones the tip is fixed - a solid metal cone / point pretty much like the traditional ones - the last one I got had the same spinning tip like your picture - they don't play much different to be honest - both still spin fine in your hand.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:20 am »
Yep - I've had those in stock for about 6 months now.

They are a lot of fun to play with and are definitely easier than the traditional ones at first - due to the bearing.
Standard set up is for the traditional method of cup towards you at the start (so any vertax needs to be done backside) - but you can also switch the bearing if you prefer for western vertax (cup away from you at start)

They are awesome (had 1 from Nev for quite some time now and plan on purchasing more). From an MC-stall you can just place them in your hand and then with the bearing just grab the axle and put it somewhere else. They spin for a LONG time when up to speed. I have been able to do curls with the Fly but not with the others so for beginners maybe it´s the best?

About the carpet, mine worked to spin on grass (given it had sufficient speed ofcourse) so it might be possible for a short time to spin it on carpet. Has anyone else tried placing two on top of eachother? I tried with my SUndia+Fly (because the Sundia is flat) but the SUndia couldn´t stand that long. We were two people trying with monobolos at the NJC but those doesn´t spin as good.

Aaron Z

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:42 pm »
What were the prices at the actual store? Do they have multiple stores? Do you remember their address?

I might be going overseas soon, and my parents are open to suggestion, may as well go to Taiwan and save a couple bajillion dollars on equipment.

n3mo

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:20:17 pm »
-they spin for a decent time on short grass, if the soil is firm.

aaron, the price i think was somewhere between 500 to 550 NT, which is about $17 american or so. their address is...long. and in chinese. its on their website, sundiasports.com.

Jonny_

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:30 pm »
i almost got one from nevs store but seeing that they turned put me off

nev

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:46:55 am »
The Sundia non bearing traditional ones don't turn
these ones stay in line
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String