Author Topic: 2007 Tricks of the Year (reposted from rec.juggling)  (Read 5948 times)

Matt

• VotW Contributor
2007 Tricks of the Year (reposted from rec.juggling)
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:21:15 pm »
Hi everyone!

The title says it all.  I set a goal during Christmas Vacation 2006 to see if I could learn one new trick a day.  My first idea was that I would go through all my old juggling videos and find those pesky little tricks that I wanted to learn years ago, but perhaps did not have the technical grounding to pull off at the time.  The quest soon changed as I started using all of the tasty videos being offered online.  For standards, I basically told myself that I had to be able to pull the trick several times before I checked it off.  For siteswaps, this meant being able to do at least four rounds of the trick.  It didn't matter what prop I used, and it didn't matter if the trick was really easy--it just had to be a trick that I thought was cool...

For the rest of the story, and the results of my year-long quest, which just ended a few days ago, see below:

http://scweb.esuhsd.org/programs/jugglesensei/2007Tricks/2007Tricks.htm

No videos.  No podcasts.  Just some writing and Excel sheets about one year in the life of a juggler.
Check it out and let me know what you think.  It's a new year, and time for some new goals!

matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

LaNgErZ

• Donator
Re: 2007 Tricks of the Year (reposted from rec.juggling)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:37:14 pm »
good work to you sir, i admire your commitment. outstanding

lz

inspired
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »
That's mighty impressive! Congrats on all the new stuff you learnt. I found one error though:

"2/1/07                     
Drop It Like Its Hot Nev 1 Diabolo Mach 5 Entry into Excalibur"

I don't think that trick is from "Drop It Like Its Hot." I think it was from "Hot Teen On Cam"

Anyways for this year, do a similar exercise: Video each trick and make a video at the end of the year, stick it on youtube and see how many hits you get. It's the kind of thing youtube feature and it'd be nice to see a juggling related video featured.

Have fun with this year!

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:46:45 pm »
Well done, to set such a goal and achieve it, especially when you start losing days to illness and injury.

(Glad to see you managed to put ten days aside for the wife!!  ;))

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:11:16 pm »
I was actually going to write a front page blog about setting goals yesterday, and now you come in and pop this thread up - a perfect coincidence. So you've made the front page, Matt.

I believe Matt has set the bar on "epic commitment" that few others will be able to match. Very inspirational and a very good example of how to follow your goals.

-Duncan (going off to find his notepad to write down some of his own goals).

TomMiller

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:48:03 pm »
thats really enspiring

the front page just inspired me completely

thanks  Matt
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
well done to you sir i too am impressed

good work!

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:26:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

Leo, thanks for the correction--I had a feeling that I was off on that one. 

Thanks to all of you for being my teachers in 2007.  That's what's so great about juggling and the juggling community.  You notice that I learned a ton of diabolo tricks from the lists, eh?  It wasn't so long ago that I got people like Chris Garcia into juggling, and now he's better than I am at his chosen prop.  Chris just makes up stuff all the time.  I tell him that it's his job to make stuff up for me since I'm the old white guy trying to tutor people at lunch while he gets to play. And yes, I do have some new goals for the new year.  In 2008, I am taking a reverse approach.  My main juggling goals for this year revolve around getting just four main tricks under my belt:

2 devil sticks (just for jollies)
5 club singles (coming along)
3 diabolos high (had it, and it's slipped a bit)
3 diabolos low (never even tried it, and scared to death...haha)

My other main juggling goal for the year is to create/re-shape a routine for every prop I do with some frequency.  I am talking about getting each routine really solid and hopefully adding to it in terms of choreography, tempo, and aesthetic selection of tricks.  So, for me, that will most likely involve:

balls-bounce
balls-toss
cigar boxes
clubs
devil stick
diabolo
kendama (finally test for black belt and/or make a Renegade comedy
routine)
tennis ball and can

And, of course, I want to keep learning new tricks.  In that sense I am still very much like a young, too-keen instant juggler.  I just want to be able to do THAT (whatever 'THAT' is at the time)!!  Part of the fun is spending all the time to learn the darn trick, so that it is possible to share it with others in a workshop (giving full credit to the inventor, of course). Case in point, Busk and M4U--the two Italian diabolo wizards tearing up the scene in the past couple years.  Unless you have actually met these guys at a festival and have learned their tricks from them,
those tricks can be BRUTAL to learn from a video (trust me, I know...). And yet, now having learned them, I could help someone else learn them in a quarter of the time.  That's a good thing.  There are STILL tricks I can't figure out from the videos, so I'll just have to be patient until I meet someone at a fest or online who can explain them.

Whoa, long reply.  Sorry about that.

Forward 2008!!

matt

seán_

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »
Ah, was going to reply on rec. but shall do so here - I really enjoyed the insight into your year, more power to you. Hopefully if I make it to the Scottish I'll have a few moves for you to work on (since I didn't make last years list :) )

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:50:43 am »
I really hope you do make it to the Scottish bro!

And don't be silly, your Drop It Like It's Hot video is one of my all-time favorites. 

The countdown to Scottish has begun...

matt

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:39:50 am »
Matt, now i respect you even more. I love the way you think about juggling.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:28:18 am »
Sick as a f***ink dog? ::)
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:32 am »
Sick as a f***ink dog? ::)

?

That's quite something Matt and major props to you sir and puts my level of commitment to shame. I may evem try and implement a "done that trick" system in the 24 hour endurance.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Kusti

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 07:09:50 pm »
Lazy: 30+ days
Wife: 10 days

;D Maybe this year ought to be a year for the missus then.

It's great that you have that kind of motivation for juggling. I think it would be almost impossible for me to learn new stuff every week. I don't even have the time to train every day :(. Keep on juggling!

DaviD Brackpool

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 01:17:22 pm »
im just being nosey but can your wife juggle????
by the time you've finished reading this you've wasted roughly 8 seconds of your life.