Author Topic: Harlequins? Are circus really that much better?  (Read 3252 times)

~james~

Harlequins? Are circus really that much better?
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:50:23 am »
Hi Diabolo.ca
Ok, this is my first post and i just started diaboloing a week and a half ago ;D, i am starting to experiment with more tricks (just got genocides and am working on infinite suicides right now) and think it would be good to get some better gear  :D. So, im in australia and the best shop here IMO is "JuggleArt". Harlequins and Circuses are both going the for 65AUD and the only difference i could see was that harlequins are 2mm smaller and 50g lighter. My buddy who got me into diabolo has harlequin and there great. However... i was reading the guide and noticing the general mood on the forums and it seems that everyone likes circuses but i havent heard mention of harlequins yet... ??? so i was wondering if and if so, why, circuses are so much better than Harlequins.
As ill be buying 2 and expect to use them for some time i would like the opinion of someone who has used Halrequins as well as the many who have used circus to give me a good idea of pros/cons of the 2 varietys :)
thanks
James
If you dont like my driving... get off the sidewalk!!!

fzzyrn

Re: Harlequins? Are circus really that much better?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:03 am »
According to the jugglingstore, Harlequins are 35g HEAVIER than the circus. I guess people feel that this 35g makes them too hard to speed up. The diameter of the cups, however, is .1 inches wider than the Harlequin, so I would guess that it has a greater rimweight and therefore greater stability. The Harlequin is also much taller (standing on its cups) than the circus. I dont really know what effect this has on performance, but i bet it has something to do with rimweight.

seán_

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:02:25 pm »
The general trend is away from heavy diabolos. I've used both and personally found the harlequins to be a bit unwieldy. I know that one Aussie (jester?) really rates them but I reckon I could find an overwhelming majority of people that would probably point you towards the circus given the choice you have given us. (any finesses at that shop?)

circus. Pro: stable, indestructable, was the standard choice for years, some modification kits (hubs) available still pretty much one of 2 standard choice diabolos
Con: hard to clean the marks you get from doing 2d, metal tipped sticks hurt the axles (plan to replace the hubs for POM at some point anyway)

harlequin.
 pro: nice axle and hub
con: hefty, looks a bit nasty (IMHO), there must be some reason few serious diaboloist use them.

Squiggle

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:12:57 pm »
I like both. (I prefer bearing or finesse though :P)

Probbly the same, I find Harlequins nice and stable.    I prefer harlequin over circus probably. (Mind you..Only used circus stock)

@Sean_ (Sorry I don't know how to do the '   lol..)  Yeh, It's jester.   is pro..lol

Also, You might want to look at some international stores also, Prices may be different now.  But I found it cheaper to order from uk..Then to buy from Australia with no shipping costs :P

BTW- Where in Australia are ya?

seán_

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:08:21 pm »
Gah you strange people.
Cant you pick up yoho's at toy stores for half that price(probably)? might want to get some decent sticks and string though. http://www.yoho.com.au/distributor.htm

Squiggle

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:50:53 pm »
Most toy stores I have seen that sold diabolos here only would have the tiny yohos..Which are ****.

Althought can probbly order of the website cheap if you really want yoho.  But I suggest not.

I'd probbly buy the Harlequin, Get some nice 1d.   Then either buy some more Harlequins, Or switch to Finesse or Circus.  o\

seán_

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »
I know you would Jake but I honestly would recommend going straight for the circus (or finesse if available). in fact if you include all of the 'normal' sized diabolos (circus, finesse, fly, suns, taibolo, yoho/diabig, harlequin) I'd have a hard time putting them in my order of preference except to say the harlequin would be at the end. The only reasons I could give for getting one are if the price difference was substantial, you already had one and wanted to try 2d, a mate had one and you both wanted to have a go at 2d.
I agree with Jake about the small yoho but if you stumble across a regular sized one...

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:06:11 pm »
I started with harlequins, then moved to circus, then to finesse.

I think that circus's are in general more thoroughly engineered to be a better diabolo than harlequins; the cup shape makes them much more stable and a lot easier to do string corrections with (at least for the way that I tend to correct). the smaller weight makes them easier on your wrists and better for many tricks, and the solid colors tend to look sharper on stage and in videos. the harlequins also have that sharp cup edge, making throw starts more painful. Also, the existence of several very good plastic hub options (all of which are showcased here: http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/henrys_circus_diabolo.html ) gives you several options for later on when you may decide you want a more customized diabolo.

if you were looking at the medium sized harlequin, it is indeed 45g lighter than a standard circus (though with the right hubs, the circus can weigh 5g less than it), but is even more unstable than the standard jumbo harlqeuin, and less suitable for advanced tricks.

overall, the circus is considered to be a far superior diabolo than jumbo harlequins, and the additional options push it even further. the fact that they're available at the same price is just a further plus. I say, go for the circuses for sure.

ps-I use finesse; they're good too
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

fzzyrn

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:04:06 pm »
what with all this circus/harlequin talk, has anybody yet tried to fit harlequin hubs and axle onto bowls from a circus?

~james~

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:39 pm »
Hmmm... ok thanks, it seems like circus is the way to go for me -stability and a little bit lighter.
Also, currently i am using wooden sticks and would like to change to new ones soon, the aluminiums look like the way to go... except for the fact that they damage the circus? can someone tell me how badly they damage it and does it effect performance? or should i just go for another stick? Thanks for all the fast responses guys :)
Also i could order finnesse in but currently they are out of stock.
BTW: Jake im in north/eastern NSW just below the gold coast. ;)

James
If you dont like my driving... get off the sidewalk!!!

BVB231

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:46:08 pm »
I have 2 circuses with regular hubs. I use carbons and about after 2 weeks, I sarted to notice that my Circus hubs have small chips in them. I ended up buying a kit to replace the hubs.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:50 am »
I have 2 circuses with regular hubs. I use carbons and about after 2 weeks, I sarted to notice that my Circus hubs have small chips in them. I ended up buying a kit to replace the hubs.

You either aren't treating it too well or your sticks have something wrong with them.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

seán_

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:21:27 am »
Zack runs standard hubs and uses carbons (long the freak), the metal tips of these chip the hubs but he just keeps using them stock. I offered him some hubs I had when I changed to POM's but he said he was used to them and didn't mind. I reckon as long as the chips are smooth and not jagged it isn't the end of the world and nothing a file or sandpaper wont put right. The main reason I use replacement hubs is to get them that much lighter and because they feel smoother (something I only really appreciated upon getting heavily into 2d) .