Author Topic: Dutch Juggling Championships (in dutch: NKJ)  (Read 6603 times)

Martijn

Dutch Juggling Championships (in dutch: NKJ)
« on: February 28, 2005, 01:10:08 pm »
Hey everybody,

Arjan and me went to the Championships this weekend (26/27 feb) and entered the diabolo competition. It was a great festival, Luke Burrage was there as well. There was a very cool Renegade where Arjan and I did our double routine (a lefty and a righty, one stick each  :P ) Luke Burrage hosted the show next day, that was cool. It was a great convention!

However, here are the results of the Diabolo freestyle competition:

1st place: Martijn Halekor => 87%
2nd place: Arjan Groenendijk => 75%
3rd place: Huub Cooymans => around 50%
4th place: Robert van Woenzel => around 50%

So that's means I won  :wink:  My routine went great. Only a few mistakes and one drop. I won a Diabology DVD (which I already have) and a MB Finesse. That's nice :)
I found a photo of my performance in the newspaper today ('de Telegraaf') and I believe something was on the television saterdaynight.

I forgot my videocamera, so it's gonna take a while before you guys can see our acts. Ah well, better luck next time.

Arjan, speak up!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Arjan

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 01:23:52 pm »
Well it was a great weekend with the guy`s.
Had a lot of fun. I`m happy with my routine, regardless the 4 or 5 drops.
Forgot a few things in it :(  But, with famous words, I`ll be back ;)
(Martijn, are these the official %`s? I didn`t pay much attention when they were annouced)

The weekend in general was great. The renegade eve was small, but very good. Had a few beers. As usual a lot fun with Martijn, Daan, Niels and others. Had great food btw! And a nice sleep.
I`m waiting for video`s to release, Martijn forgot to film, so it`s up to others.. I hope they will be online soon.
So after the performances and dinner at sunday eve I went home with others, very tired.

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:34:48 pm »
I didn't pay attention either, but my mom did know them (a bit).

diabololi

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 01:51:03 pm »
Nice one! I told you you could do it! I can't wait to see the video.
Oli

Eduardo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 04:11:49 pm »
Congratulations Martijn and Arjan, good work!
By the way a quick googling and I came up with this:
http://telegraaf-i.telegraaf.nl/daily/2005/2/28/TE/TE_2S_20050228_3/pagina.php
Congratulations once more :)

Eduardo

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 04:54:39 pm »
congrats guys, i bet it was great fun, nice one Tijn with the win. Also, that is a great photo.

Keep it up.

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 05:19:20 pm »
Quote from: Eduardo
Congratulations Martijn and Arjan, good work!
By the way a quick googling and I came up with this:
http://telegraaf-i.telegraaf.nl/daily/2005/2/28/TE/TE_2S_20050228_3/pagina.php
Congratulations once more :)

Eduardo

Thanks you all! Yeah, nice one Eduardo :) I like my photo :D

Priam

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 05:40:29 pm »
Congratulations guys !
 I've seen Martijn and Arjan diaboloing 2 weeks ago in Belgium, and I can say they deserves their score. Arjan has even a longer fan than mine...

Thanks also to the organizers, it's good to see more and more freestyle contest everywhere...

Priam

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 06:07:06 pm »
Thank you Priam!

Yeah, Arjan won the S-Fan endurance from Priam in Ypres.  :)

Arjan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 07:05:14 pm »
Thnx fella`s, so is it all about winning? LOL a little bit it is, but more by just being there. Had a great time at NJK and in Ypress, I hope to see more freestyles and S-Fan enduarance and 2 diabolo combat.

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
Re: Dutch Juggling Championships (in dutch: NKJ)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 08:34:25 pm »
Quote from: Martijn
Hey everybody,

Arjan and me went to the Championships this weekend (26/27 feb) and entered the diabolo competition. It was a great festival, Luke Burrage was there as well. There was a very cool Renegade where Arjan and I did our double routine (a lefty and a righty, one stick each  :P ) Luke Burrage hosted the show next day, that was cool. It was a great convention!

I had a lot of fun at the championships too. When I was first asked to be a judge I thought "How hard can it be? Just point at a guy and say 'he wins!'" It turned out to be a lot more tricky than that, considering us judges had to come up with the detailed rules of the competition too! In the end it took lots of video replay and me making a complex excel spread sheet to calculate the winners. They system worked though, and the final numbers matched the jugglers' perfromances accurately, down to the nearest hundred thousandsth of a point in some cases.

Renegade was hosted by Joost and was good fun. My favourite part was seeing Arjan and Mertijn do their collective thing. I did announced the competition results on stage and did some juggling, but wasn't very good at it.

The freestyle and artistic competition was on Sunday for some reason they wanted me to host it. I'm sure someone who could speak dutch would have been far better. Actually, forget being able to speak he dutch language, someone able to pronounce dutch names would have been a step in the right direction. I didn't see much of the competitions because I was always running arround back stage trying to organise stuff. However, Martijn's diabolo routine really stood out. Not only did he get the highest score in the diabolo section, he got the highest score of any competitor in any competition of the whole weekend!

Quote from: Martijn

However, here are the results of the Diabolo freestyle competition:

1st place: Martijn Halekor => 87%
2nd place: Arjan Groenendijk => 75%
3rd place: Huub Cooymans => around 50%
4th place: Robert van Woenzel => around 50%

The Dutch championships was really a juggling convention but I did less juggling than any other convention I've been too. Mainly because I was quite ill for most of it (nasty head cold-flu type thing) and partly because I was busy doing other things. There was a diabolo workshop announced so I ran upsatirs to get my handsticks (I took them with me, even though I didn't take any diabolos) but was grabbed on the way to have a judges meeting... grrr. However, I did try out 3 finesses for the first time and got a decent run after only 2 or 3 attempts. Decent run for me is a different standard compared to people who can actually run it. I must get myself a set of three G2's some time soon.

Thanks to Marco and the gang for organizing the event.  And for the food too. That was nice and lots of it.
Luke

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 05:27:20 pm »
Quote from: Luke Burrage
considering us judges had to come up with the detailed rules of the competition too! In the end it took lots of video replay and me making a complex excel spread sheet to calculate the winners. They system worked though, and the final numbers matched the jugglers' perfromances accurately, down to the nearest hundred thousandsth of a point in some cases.

Cool, sounds pretty much identical to what we had to do in Vegas. Sounds cool, sounded like a lot of fun. I had a bit of trouble with names at first, but just remember the J is a Y and 'ij' is more of an 'ai', and then some simple french pronounciation things like 'an' being more of an 'on' and then take a stab when you're not sure, you might get lucky.

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 09:55:10 pm »
Quote from: norbi
Quote from: Luke Burrage
In the end it took lots of video replay and me making a complex excel spread sheet to calculate the winners. The system worked though, and the final numbers matched the jugglers' perfromances accurately, down to the nearest hundred thousandsth of a point in some cases.

Cool, sounds pretty much identical to what we had to do in Vegas. Sounds cool, sounded like a lot of fun.

It was very different from anything in Vegas. For a start, each juggler only performed 10 tricks each. These had been discussed by all the competitors and the ranking (out of 10) was given to each trick. The sum of these values is your start value. Most people aimed for between 50-70.

Each trick was performed in turn. If the execution was sloppy (wild catches, taking steps, props clashing, hitting yourself in the face, etc) the competitor would have up to 20% of the value of that trick removed from their score. If they dropped that was an automatic 20% reduction. If they stopped without dropping and had another go, they got the 20% knocked off automatically too.  You can take as many attempts at a trick as you like but remember: a - if you drop 5 times on the same trick, that is 100% of the score of that trick removed, so don't bother trying again, b - if you take too long you'll run out of time. 1 point was removed from the final score for every 10 seconds you run over 3 minutes, and anything after 3 minutes 30 seconds isn't counted.

There was also a way to get bonus points by connecting tricks, but again it was nothing lik any Vegas competition.

The rules were sometimes a bit harsh, but fair, in my opinion. Niels made a perfect 7 club flash on his first attempt. That would have been worth 8.8 or something really valuable like that. Unfortunately he did it about a second after we shouted "TIME UP!" so it counted for absolutely nothing. If Niels didn't spend so much time working himself up to do a tricks (in Valentino style) he would have won the competition easily.

If anyone has any more questions about the technical juggling competitions and how they were judged, ask away and I'll try to remember...
Luke

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 10:03:00 pm »
Right, i dont doubt that the scoring was competely different. Just having to watch replays whilst figuring out for ages how to score it, then making a complex spreadsheet, identical.

Yeh Niels did that in Vegas aswell, he really needs to get out of the habit. I had it for ages (and still do with 8 rings and 5ring flatfronts, i just cant release past the first one [which may seem odd to anyone that has seen me perform it, i have a great way to get over it, but its really hard, mentally])

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 10:47:15 pm »
Quote from: norbi
Right, i dont doubt that the scoring was competely different. Just having to watch replays whilst figuring out for ages how to score it, then making a complex spreadsheet, identical.

Ah yes, I see wht you mean. Actually, we knew how the scoring was going to be done before the competition, but sometimes it was unclear what trick the juggler was doing or if they performed a trick for long enough.  The most confusing thing was when a juggler would do the tricks in the wrong order, or would do a trick that wasn't on the list.

For example, one guy listed a siteswap, then "Indescribable trick" and then  "indescribable trick box". But when he performed it he forgot the siteswap and right onto the indescribable tricks, but we didn't notice that what he was juggling wasn't just a siteswap... and then we couldn't tell the difference between the normal and box variations...

Another problem was that quite a few jugglers gave me a list of their tricks in dutch so I had to guess what was going on. I know that if all the judges had got to see the lists beforehand, and if we had a spreadsheet already sorted, we could have announced the scores within seconds of the end of each competitor.

But one thing that was very pleasing abou the rule set was that when a juggler had a clear list and a clear routine, both of us judges would compare scores at the end and find that we differed only by 5% of a single trick. That means that the system was robust enough that two judges could each get a final score out of 100 within about 0.005 points of each other. How cool is that?
Luke

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 03:04:11 pm »
For people who want to know, you can find my little article in the dutch newspaper 'de Telegraaf' here:

www.circusplanet.net/tijn/tijn_telegraaf.jpg

Good luck with that Dutch text :wink:

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 08:30:51 pm »
perhaps a translation is in order from someone?  :roll:

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 08:53:30 pm »
Ok, here's a translation, and if my English isn't clear, I'll try to explain it..

14 year old Martijn Halekor proved to be a real talent at the first Dutch Juggling Championship wich took place this weekend in Groningen. The public watched his show with the diabolo with admiration. Also Matthijs Smit (19) from Groningen did a good job. He, among other things, let 3 balls glide through the air with very fluent moves. "I mostly train at home, for myself, but now I want to do more with it!" Smit does some magic (= performing conjuring tricks?) on the streets, but he likes performing for an audience too, wich was obvious this weekend. "And of course it's cool to impress the girls on the beach with a juggling-act", he says laughing.

Martijn

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 08:59:03 pm »
Nice translation  :D