Author Topic: MR Babache Perfomer sticks  (Read 12087 times)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
MR Babache Perfomer sticks
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:59:38 am »
Does anyone use MR Babache perfomer sticks and if so could you please post some information about them. :D
Behind your back is your front.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 12:41:55 pm »
I believe I use them, not too sure if they are MB performer, but they aren't the Henry's ones thats for sure.  They're ok as handsticks, cost a bit more than the Henry's, but would rather go fhr the henry's.  The aluminium shaft is hollow tube, bout 8-9mm in dia (so quite fat really) with a brass end piece.  I think they used to have a stopper at the end like you get on fibreglass and carbon fibre sticks, but the ones I have probably lost them.  So I just tie a big knot in the string and it wedges itself up the stick.  This is good as you don't need a whole 2ft of string extra.

The end piece came off one the other day which was a bit annoying, so I had to stick it back on with superglue.  Still has a padded handle with makes them a bit nicer to use.  They do bend as well, not as much as a solid shaft, but they can bend so be wary of that.

Otherwise, perfectly fine, though I'd get Henry's aluminiums.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Moe

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 08:14:54 pm »
I totally agree with fireblade. I first got the MB alu-sticks for christmas but the black handle came off just a few days later. Both me and my brother had this problem and both our sets of MB sticks are bended (not that badly, but still annoying).

Now, just a week ago I bought Henry's alu-sticks and they are both shorter and lighter - much more comfortable to use. They're not as heavy as the MB ones, so the genocides doesn't swing as smothly but I still strongly recommend anyone to buy these sticks.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:34:44 pm »
The MB performer handsticks are big, heavy, and tend to fall apart. Stay away from them at all costs.

Go with any of the Henrys sticks or wait a month or two and buy the new MB aluminum sticks, which are perhaps the nicest sticks of all.

We have discussed some of the problems with the MB performer handsticks here: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=184

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:59:32 am »
I prefer the carbon fibre (we have both), my brother prefers aluminum. I find carbon fibre to be much better for suicides, genocides etc., although eric and antonin use aluminum sticks (MB though, not Henry's). I also like the bit of extra stick length, and the bump at the tip. I think those two are definitely the sticks of choice, personal preference takes it from there. Matt Hall and I think Ryo Yabe use the carbon fibre.

-Jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

seán_

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:11:07 am »
Matt Hall uses Henrys allys, (or he was a month ago any way). Ryo Yabe uses carbons (don't know which ones).

I spotted that Remi uses one carbon and one ally stick in his section with Trash in Diabology. I wondered at the time if this was for a special reason (different swing weights and grinding abilities maybe?) but Matt_H said he remembered that Remi wasn't too concerned about equipment and if he broke something he'd use anything he could get his hands on so that might be it.

I haven't used the MB performer ones but have never heard much in their favour. The Canadian girl at the scottish used them, but broke them there and bought some Henrys allys to replace them. I think Dave P. uses them (but since he's so smooth and wouldnt miss a trick I doubt he would have any  problems with them ;))

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 06:02:05 am »
Quote from: seán_
Matt Hall uses Henrys allys

yeah he does, that's why im using them actually. i tried those and really liked them. i've also tried henry's fiberglass and carbon fiber....carbon fibers are sweet but the string through design and that little lip on the edge are annoying.

only downside to aluminum is that it bends easily. i severely bent my stick and then i bent it back most of the way... i guess it's ok now.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 11:25:56 am »
I'm not using them any more, the end fell out of mine :( . the bending thing was really annoying too, I was forever rolling them on flat surfaces to try and see if they were straight.  :roll:

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 05:42:12 pm »
Ryo Yabe uses carbons (don't know which ones).

Henrys carbon, but he recently started taping them up with silver decorations to look pretty on stage.
I spotted that Remi uses one carbon and one ally stick in his section with Trash in Diabology. I wondered at the time if this was for a special reason...

I saw these sticks being sold when I was in France. I'm not sure who makes them, but I don't think their distribution is very widespread. If I remember correctly, these sticks are sold in black and silver but both are hollow aluminum.... so I think they are essentially the same stick.
The Canadian girl at the scottish used them

What! There's a Canadian girl who diabolos!?  :shock: ...and you've kept this secret from me?  :)

seán_

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 06:45:16 pm »
oops, me and my eyes.

Passe sell some that look fairly simmilar to the Henrys, maybe with a taper (hard to tell just from pics). I wonder if anyone on here has come across them.

Sean on the Canadian front, you must have missed this in the scotish juggling convention thread
...also nice to meet a diaboloiste there (is that what you would call a female diaboloist from Montreal Sean?)

She is called Véronique Provencher, was running two and won the infinite suicide comp.

sballe

MB Performer sticks and SUICIDES!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:12:13 pm »
OK, I did it! I bought the MB Performer sticks! Cant change that now. I quite like them, though, I have had no problems with the quality og foam coming off.

The ONLY thing is they ARE TOO HEAVY for doing suicides properly - I litterally have to throw the sticks all the way round!

So, I was thinking, perhaps it is possible to cut 3-5 cm of the stick-end - they are quite long, so maybe it would work. Has anyone tried this!?

Or, is they any secret to doing suicides with these heavy sticks!

If you use or have used the MB Performer - please give me your oppinion!

- SBALLE -

Ifrit

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 03:24:57 pm »
Its like you read my mind. Thats what i decided to do 2 days ago but forgot as i was rather drunk at the time. Cheers for reminding me. Im off to do it no and if it doesnt have the desired effect i will post it here. If it works fine take it as a sign thats ts a good idea.

Isnt there a version of MB sticks that are shorter designed for 2D or something?

sballe

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 03:41:35 pm »
*lol* Awesome! Dont forget to tell how it works !

Ifrit

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 03:55:46 pm »
Done. It works. The ends dont get in the way when im doing 2D or trying 3D. The force needed for suicide has gone done making slowacides a hell of alot more smooth. There faster on the suicide to which has its draw backs as there still very solid to a mis catch has the potential to hurt abit but after i get used to them im sure that ill not be a problem.

Now my only negative about them is they dont have that little knob on the ends like on the henrys carbon fibre stick (the one ive used for the past year).

The lack of a knob is fine for most trapeze (stopover) tricks but it really annoys me when im trying 3D trapeze starts (the start that up until now ive had the most luck with). Any one got any good ideas for a modification that could add somthing similiar to the ends?

I was thinking of duck tape over a ring of wire but this might wear out.

sballe

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 04:07:28 pm »
How much did you cut off?

Ifrit

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 05:33:52 pm »
Around 2 inchs. So the grips are just the right length. Enought for the whole of my hand to fit on with 1cm for good measure.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 06:19:09 pm »
Quote from: Ifrit
The lack of a knob is fine for most trapeze (stopover) tricks but it really annoys me when im trying 3D trapeze starts (the start that up until now ive had the most luck with). Any one got any good ideas for a modification that could add somthing similiar to the ends?
I was thinking of duck tape over a ring of wire but this might wear out.
I will sidestep the fact you said you suffer from the "lack of a knob" but anyway...  A lil while ago Martijn posted some photos on this topic from an idea he got from Barnesy http://www.circusplanet.net/tijn/tape/ which he uses on the Henry's Aluminiums.  It looks a lil bulky to me and the idea of a ring of wire and a small covering of electrical seems better to me.

Suicides are fine with these sticks for me, it's infinite suicides that aren't really possible with them.  When I can, I'm gonna make my own sticks to my own specifications, and they're gonna be great... maybe...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 08:32:31 pm »
One tip: don't use coloured tape for that! My new white Circusses had pink  stripes all over the place :P it looks very ugly, but fortunately you can clean them!

So no coloured tape, but white :wink:
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

sballe

Turn your useless MB Performer sticks into GREAT STICKS!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 12:05:14 am »
So, Ifrit and myself had a little experiment going yesterday with the MB Performer sticks. As many agrees they are too bulky and heavy making suicide tricks almost impossible since they wont swing 'round...

BUT, dont dispair, there IS A SOLUTION.

CUT THEM UP!!!

Since they are 43 cm long, cutting a bit of the bottom edge improves the stick A LOT. I cut exactly 4.5 cm of mine, and the reduced length and weight (reduced approx 8-9 grams pr. stick) has turned these fellows into completely new sticks. My suicides-orbits goes smooth and circular now -Perferct.

I think you cut maybe even cut another 1 cm off, making them even faster on the suicides...

AND YES, it would probably be easier just to get the HENRYS ALUMINIUM in the first place, but for those of you out there who has already got the MB PERFORMER, be glad to know that the money was not completely wasted!

ciao
Soren.

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 02:39:54 pm »
just out of interest, can you still buy the MB performer sticks from anywhere, as I believe they are the sticks Antonin and JiBe with the big coned end tips and wouldnt mind a pair.
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!