Author Topic: Taibolo or Sundia Sun?  (Read 14417 times)

Taibolo or Sundia Sun?
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:36 am »
Im currently deciding which diabolo to get(3 of)and which is better, particularly better for 3 diabolo shuffling.
So opinions are appreciated, thanks.

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Taibolo or Sundia Sun?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:39:43 am »
Taibolos were made with multiple diabolo play in mind. But suns, being heavier, have more momentum so they might be easier to shuffle.

I'd go Taibolos personally. Since Nev also has a discount.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:21:00 am »
Neither one is better. They do feel quite different though. The taibolos are very light - especially if you switch the washers for something lighter, which is probably a good idea. Then they are lighter than finesses. The sun's with the default washers are quite heavy. With fly washers they are a bit lighter, but still on the heavy side of diabolos. They are both quite stable.

If you tend to get wrist problems then definitely go with the taibolos. They are the only ones I can practice 3 diabolos with without wrist pain. Suns would be the opposite.

They are both great diabolos for 1, 2, and 3.

I'd say that heavier diabolos may be easier to get a feeling for the 3d shuffle, but they are also more likely to give you wrist problems when putting in the endless hours necessary to learn it.

I've settled on the taibolos as my favourites at the moment.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:57:20 am »
I'd say it's easier to learn the shuffle on suns. Taibolos are a bit harder to keep in line without knowing how to accelerate, but they are incredible for tricks.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:21 am »
I have both and I use Suns almost exclusively because I enjoy a heavier diabolo - the wide axle feel is perfect for me, but it is a bit too heavy for a lot of people. It still has all the same potential as any other diabolo, and you can lighten it with some Replacement Washers from the Fly. The Tai has a great feel, but its so light and the axle area is a little weird to me. Maybe I need to put more time into that diab in order to appreciate it more.

Aaron Z

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
In my opinion, the two are mostly comparable in weight, so depending on the amount of use the weight difference can become beneficial, or reverse.
For short periods of play, the weight would aid stability and spin duration, at the cost of accelerating with more effort- so it'd be more straining on you.

For long periods of practice or whatever, a lighter diabolo would have more responsiveness, accelerate more easily, and be less straining on you.

So if the weight difference is all that you're wondering about, just think about what you're going to be doing with your diabolos , and for how long.

(Don't take my word for it, I've not touched either one so far- just judging by what I've read so far...  ;)   )

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:04:15 pm »
Finesse G3 ;D

I would go with Taibolos because they are more like my favorite diabolo, and they are more responsive because of their weight. I have Sundia Suns and they seem sluggish compared to my Finesses of similar weight to the Taibolos
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

wilyspin

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »
Neither one is better. They do feel quite different though. The taibolos are very light - especially if you switch the washers for something lighter, which is probably a good idea. Then they are lighter than finesses. The sun's with the default washers are quite heavy. With fly washers they are a bit lighter, but still on the heavy side of diabolos. They are both quite stable.

If you tend to get wrist problems then definitely go with the taibolos. They are the only ones I can practice 3 diabolos with without wrist pain. Suns would be the opposite.

They are both great diabolos for 1, 2, and 3.

I'd say that heavier diabolos may be easier to get a feeling for the 3d shuffle, but they are also more likely to give you wrist problems when putting in the endless hours necessary to learn it.

I've settled on the taibolos as my favourites at the moment.

What did you use to swap out the washers on your taibolos?  I haven't actually taken mine apart, do they have the same heavy metal washers like the suns?

Davius

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:44:41 pm »
I would say taibolo because they were made for multiple play. Also  i have both taibolo and sundia suns and prefer taibolo for multiple play.

JimmyCords.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:48 am »
I was looking for some advice about Tiabolos and Suns.
I hear both diabolos have their pro's and con's for multiple diaboloing, but I was wondering how good tiabolos and suns compare for single diabolo play (if they can compare at all)? Both seem great for 2 & 3d, but I was looking for an all round wide axle diabolo to replace my finesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jimmy.
Say Whaaaat?

Martijn

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:52 am »
Well it's all just a matter of personal preference. I like the Sun more for 1d.

Why is the Sun compared to the Taibolo so much? Aren't they completely different diabs?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 12:06:42 pm »
Thats probably why they are. Just like Finesse and Circus were.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Martijn

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:53 pm »
Ah. That makes sense :P Don't forget the Fly though :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 04:46:04 pm »
I hear both diabolos have their pro's and con's for multiple diaboloing, but I was wondering how good tiabolos and suns compare for single diabolo play (if they can compare at all)? Both seem great for 2 & 3d, but I was looking for an all round wide axle diabolo to replace my finesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jimmy.

http://diabolonet.de/anzeigen.php?art=5974&Benutzername=

Save yourself some dough just make those finesse wider =D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 05:21:04 pm »
I hear both diabolos have their pro's and con's for multiple diaboloing, but I was wondering how good tiabolos and suns compare for single diabolo play
Taibolo = very light (especially if you switch out the heavy washers)
Suns/Flys = very heavy (especially if you keep the original sun washers)
One is a light, smooth diabolo that takes finesse to keep in line but you can correct and manipulate on a whim. One is a heavy, smooth rolls royce of a diabolo, that, in comparison, stays straight and keeps rolling no matter what you do.

So, which do you prefer? Only you know.

(Of course, then there's the soon to be available light suns. Hard to say, but these might just be the best of both worlds.)

JimmyCords.

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 10:20:54 pm »
Ok, cheers guys. Thx for all your responses. Might wait for these light suns.......
Say Whaaaat?

K

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 08:55:26 pm »
Cheers,
Jimmy.

Suns are probably better for 1 diabolo because of the extra weight they hold spin well. The wide axel is r8 good for fingergrinds (Still prefer bearing Flys XD) and the Tai's..... Well im not really sure about those but I think most people use those for 1,2,3,4 etc and Suns for 1.

-K
Im left handed. Get over it!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 03:32:51 am »
I have no idea where you're getting that from. Suns are just as good as Taibolos for 1, 2, 3, and 4 diabolos, and I don't know of anyone who uses Suns just for 1 but something else for the rest.

They're both good and the advantages/disadvantages/differences in feeling are noted in this and other threads.

I'm currently on a hardcore 270 gram sun kick... but I'm still a big fan of the Taibolos too.

Fabs

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 11:06:06 pm »
Hi Guys.
I've been playing Diabolo for quite a while. Feeling very comfortable with one D I was thinking about starting 2D and I started looking around for different models.
I've been using a Finesse (wide axle) for about a year now. Before that I had a Henry Jazz (yes I know, shame on me..).
Last year at the Swiss Juggling Convention I got my hands on a Fly from somebody and I was stunned about how awesome it was.
So here's the thing:
I was about to order two Flies from Nev's store (I would have ordered already if he wasn't on holidays) and only then I saw the Taibolos. Now, being amazed by the Fly whilst also reading some fantastic comments on the Taiabolo, I am really not sure what to get...

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:12 am »
If you want the bearings then get the Flys. If you like the shape of the diabolo but don't need the bearings, then get the Suns. The Taibolos are great too, but they feel quite different. If you haven't tried them but really liked the feeling of the Flys, then perhaps you'd be safest getting the Flys/Suns.

Also, if you like the Finesse with wide axles, keep in mind that the Suns/Flys have wider axles than the Taibolos.