14 (3.5%)
Yoho / Diabig (ratchet)
2 (0.5%)
4 inch diabolo (jazz...)
21 (5.3%)
Other
32 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 347

Author Topic: Favourite Diabolo Poll 2005-2007  (Read 42049 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2005-2007
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:42:29 pm »
There have been a number of questions recently about what diabolos people prefer.

I thought it might be interesting to see what the distribution of diabolo preference is for the wide variety of diabolists on this forum.

If you're interested, vote for your favourite diabolo, and if you wish, add a short message about why you prefer that diabolo.

----

There are many threads on reasons why people prefer one type of diabolo over another. A few that come to mind are:

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3 (Equipment Sticky)
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=86 (Plastic vs. Rubber cups)
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=30 (Yohos)
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=358 (Wide axled Finesses)
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=355 (Alternatives to Henrys, Babache, Yoho)

Sean

Sean

• Administrator
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 03:16:19 am »
Hey, good idea, Sean! Why don't I start out.   ::)

For me it's hard to say which kind of diabolo I prefer overall. I chose normal axled finesses.

For 1 and 2 diabolos I love wide axled finesses, especially for grinds of any kind, s-fans, and the overall feel of the diabolo.

For 3 diabolos high and low I like circuses the best. I find them the most stable and the extra weight makes the movements more obvious. I can only correct 3 diabolos with circus diabolos and the pattern is more relaxed. Edit - Finesse G2's feel much more like circuses and I can correct 3 diabolos low and high with them (normal axles) similarly to circuses.

I like the teflon hubs (wide or normal width) infinitely more than the original henrys metal hubs because of the feeling on the string, the decreased wear on the string, better grinding, and the slightly decreased weight.

So, why would I choose normal axled finesses as my favourite? It took me a while to get used to the slimmer profile and reduced weight, but it's the only diabolo that I like for 1, 2, and 3 diabolos and it's nice to not have to change diabolos all the time.

Sean

seán_

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 03:37:42 am »
I've punted for normal circus. I really like them with teflon wide and teflon replacement  hubs but since I dont have any yet I stuck with old faithfull. I'm hoping to get some teflon hubs one day, maybe at the British or from Europe, they definately make an excellant diabolo even better.

I also use finesse G1 with wide axles and 6g weights. I learnt to do without the weights but wish I had have had them when I was transitioning from circus. I had a play with Matt_H's plain G2 tonight and they are really nice (it was very strange using narrow axles again).

It's hard to go wrong with circus they are just really nice diabolos, good spin, good balance and a joy to use. I find them easier to correct with two because of the shape and can seem to get out of more tricky situations with them (and dont hurt myself as much with them.

Basically I'm glad I have the choice of diabolos for different reasons. I wouldn't like to have to give up either kind.

Matt_

• Donator
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 06:00:19 am »
i chose henry's with regular axles, the only diabolos that come near it are the henry's with teflon axles but i guess i don't like them because they still feel foreign. to be fair i've never tried a finesse but i'd love to get one with a wide axle (finger grinds baby!!). i've also tried renegades (odd...but sucks), henry's jazz (too small), henry's beach (too light and still small), the harlequin (heavy...), a spiniabolo or whatever (bizarre...but spins fast) and there was also this really godawful POS kind of diabolo that Hall-sensei has with brass axles and thick, hard plastic cups.

overall, it's all about henry's. but when i can ill be getting a finesse or two.

Martijn

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 10:03:10 am »
wide axled Finesse vote! :D

After using Henry's circus a lot, I bought 2 Finesses G2 with wide axle. I tried Arjan's G1's before, and I really loved the wide axle. Now I don't use my Circus anymore, it's too heavy since I'm used to Finesses. I use my Finesses for everything! (I can't do 3d yet, so maybe that will change someday)

I really like to try the teflon hubs for the Circus, cause it seems like a nice improvement on the Circus diabolo's. 8)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Arjan

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 12:10:02 pm »
I would have said finesses with wide axle. But recently I switched my 3 finesses back to normal again, for doing 3 and excalibur. It makes more sense for me to pick normal at this moment.

Mattias

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 12:18:24 pm »
Voted for Circus as that is the only diabolo i have any advanced experience with, besides Eagle which is better than the circus for grinding, I am hoping to test out a Finesse at the NJC in a couple of weeks though.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

kragen

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 12:00:54 pm »
When i was starting off I really liked the weight of the harlequins & the grippyness of the axel - It seemed to make things easier and I felt I had a lot of control, when I first got my finesse it felt far too light - I almost couldnt feel the diabolo, but I've gotten used to it now and it feels so much better doing 1D with the finesse - it's so much more responsive, and harlequin feels sluggish and cumbersome now.

I'm currently having the same thing again with 2D - the weight of the diabolo and the grippyness of the axel makes the 2D shuffle easier, I couldnt do the shuffle with the finesse through lack of feeling - but I was managing fine with the harlequin's.

Every now and then I do borrow someone elses finesse to have a play with the 2D shuffle and although it feels strange (I can actualy do the shuffle now :P) I can see myself getting used to it and eventualy preferring it.

I think the heavier grippyer diabolo are good initially, but as soon as you get used to using a lighter diabolo it feels much more responsive - you wont want to go back :P

I always have the wide axels on my finesse, it makes the axel exceptionaly slipery but I find myself doing finger grinds all the time when im bored and cant think of something else to try!

Just to point out - I havnt even had a go on a circus before, - im just comparing what I know :P
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
Where is G2, i like G2 a lot (infact they are quickly becoming my favourite) but i dont like G1's. You only specified Finesses, not which gen.

Sean

• Administrator
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 04:48:34 pm »
Quote from: norbi
You only specified Finesses, not which gen.

Yes, because the G2s are obviously an improvement over the G1. I can't see any valid or educated reason why someone who has tried both G1s and G2s would prefer G1s over G2s and hence it is redundant to include and would not provide any useful information.

We're not asking for what diabolo do you use but what diabolo do you think is the best overall. If you only like G2s, that's great, it's the finesse of the present and future and your vote counts. If someone likes G1s that person will like G2s even more and their vote would remain with finesse.

This is similar reasoning to why I chose not to include the original circus metal hubs as a separate category vs. the improved teflon hubs.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 08:19:27 pm »
Well that's a pretty darn good reason, yeh i love the new G2's, they are amazing (although i dont actually have any yet, i want white but they arent releasing them until all the G1s are sold out)

I did reall like Ryo's DiaBig, but havnt played with them enough to know if i prefer them to the others, i probably would though.

seán_

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 08:30:54 pm »
there should be some diabig/yohos floating around at Sheffield next weekend, I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like.

w35ku

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 08:22:21 pm »
Mod Edit - Message moved to this relevant thread. w35ku, please read through this thread for people's past answers.

What is the best diabolo?
i have head that the best is Henry's Circus, do u think so ?
Forum: Zuko @ www.zuko.tk
You can find:
Juggling
Multiplex Juggling
And Diabolation

darren2dream

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 09:21:15 pm »
Well I’ll throw my vote out there, I’ve been lurking for quite a while but havent posted yet...

I’m a fan of the Yoho (normal axle) Diabolo’s and chimed in here as I saw not many others mentioning Yoho yet.
Sure the Circus is a fantastic choice and I like them, but for the price, anyone who wants a Diabolo and does not want to spend a fortune could pick up a Yoho and  still get totally quality equipment. I truly enjoy them and see no reason yet to switch to anything else.

The Yoho ratchet Diabolo are quieter than the Spintastic for sure & spin plenty long enough for any trick Im trying to learn (which is the only time I use one). It does tend to loosen up at times after extended play but it just a quick twist of the wrist to get it tight again..

Darkstar

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 09:26:51 pm »
Well, I would say the Harlequin (as its the only one I have!) but I really want to try a Finesse, to get to grips with a larger diabolo.

seán_

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 11:03:56 pm »
I'm dieing to get my hands on some yoho fixed axles for a try. They do sound like a great diabolo and the price is great. Ryo Yabe uses them, definately up there in most peoples lists of great diaboloists YOHO should be selling them hand over fist yet I have never seen them. David LH (UK and Europe seller/distributer) was going to bring some to Sheffield but unfortunately he did not make it (I don't mean that because I didn't get to try the yoho's but because you missed a great convention).

for those interested see the sales pitch in some of the threads Sean mentions above and check the links sticky to find the YOHO sites.

Sean

• Administrator
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 08:36:48 pm »
I've had a discussion with Ryo a number of times about the virtues of circus diabolos and yoho/diabig fixed axle diabolos.

He likes both circus diabolos with teflon hubs and yoho/diabig fixed axle diabolos. He uses both of these diabolos although he tends to use the yoho/diabigs now.

He explained that with teflon axles on the circuses, both types of diabolos feel almost the same. The only reason he prefers to use the yoho/diabigs is because of the slippery material the cups are made of. If 2 circus diabolos touch each other with their sticky rubber cups all hell breaks loose. If 2 yoho/diabigs touch each other not much happens at all.

As has been mentioned,  Yohos are dirt cheap diabolos. Unfortunately finding local dealers can be challenging. I've previously worked out that even with the costs of shipping and duty taxes it would be cheaper to have 3 Yohos shipped from the factory in Australia than to buy 3 Henrys locally.

Maybe someday I'll get around to ordering some.  8)

Sean

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 11:17:19 pm »
Quote from: Sean
I've previously worked out that even with the costs of shipping and duty taxes it would be cheaper to have 3 Yohos shipped from the factory in Australia than to buy 3 Henrys locally.

Well that sounds like a pretty freakin good reason to get some. I might have to look into it.

Jester

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 10:36:30 am »
First I got Given a Harlequin

Then I wanted to learn two So i ordered another

Now I'm Learning Three

But I'm Hearing about this Finesse G2
It sounds like its the shiznic

I certainly don't know any locals with one but cause of all the talk I might consider just ordering a couple (and have to learn to do two all over again)  

Where's a site for ordering G2's?
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

seán_

Favourite Diabolos
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 10:49:06 am »
Quote from: Jester

Where's a site for ordering G2's?

Here ;)

or http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=11 the G2 thread, some shops get a mention in here but most shops should be able get you some now.

Any Australian Juggling shop that carries Mr Babache products should be able to get hold of one for you.
HTH