Author Topic: Nowhere near as good as any of you lot...(more flowy style?)  (Read 3328 times)

Darkstar

Nowhere near as good as any of you lot...(more flowy style?)
« on: March 11, 2005, 07:39:33 am »
Can you give me any tips on becoming a better diaboloist? I've made up some very simple combos (Spaghetti-Whip catch) etc, but I need some help in making my moves more flowing. At the moment ive just been doing single tricks, but I want to make my style more flowy, and around the back more. When my new diabolo comes (old one broke yesterday) i'll try the 5 suns trick, which looks nice.

Any help?

diabololi

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:51:24 am »
Yeh, I want to make my style more flowy, I've always wanted to learn all the new tricks but never relly worked on linking the tricks I can already do.
One trick that is very flowy is orbit thrusts, especially if you keep wrapping/unwrapping it with right hand unwraps and left hand frontwraps.

Oli

nezzybaby

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:16:27 pm »
though i dont claim to be anywhere near as good as many people on this forum, i can give you some tips from my experience.

Practice suns lots, and use them between every trick, it gives you a bit of extra time to think what to do next, without being to complicated. start by trying to do a sun every time you catch a diabolo, and try to throw the diabolo in the air again as soon as you finish your sun.

once comfortable with this, try going from a sun to round the arm or leg, and also doing a sun on the way out.

soon you'll be fowing all your tricks together with suns, and as you get more fluent you can try to link tricks without the sun inbetween.

with two diabolos you dont need to worry as much about combos, the audience will be impressed with the idle position!

hope this helps

Spink

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 01:27:08 pm »
i'm trying to learn 2 at the momement but still love one.

One of the ways i keep stuff flowy is by putting slowicide's in to my runs.

When you put a RBW (or LBE for you righties)you also have the advantage of generating a little bit more spin. once you have these smooth it allows you to catch the stick behind or infront of the string meaning you have either :

A> an open string, or
B> the string in the sun possition, giving you the oppertunity to sun out to say, inverse trapese which leaves your string open or 2 inverse trapezes which you can flick back in to a crossed string (inverse arm, fritz release ect.)

Also doing a trick then trapezing bounces the diabolo in the opposite direction leaving you in good position to do tricks with your other stick. This done smoothly can add a really bouncy feel to your style.

I learnt most of my style by watching Jibe, he seems to take the edge off his catches by letting his wrist take a bit of down force.

Keep practicing :D
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

seán_

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 02:21:52 pm »
These two threads might be worth a look
Active sun motion: Yufi's video
[WJF] Eric and Antonin's 1 diabolo workshop

other than that keep practicing, and if you get the chance film yourself to see what seems to be going well for you and how it looks to others.

Darkstar

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 09:30:02 pm »
Thanks guys, I wont be able to do much of that yet, as I only got my new diabolo today, and I need to get used to it (going from a hard diabolo to a Babache Medium Harlequin). Im also using a longer string now, which makes it harder to do suicides.. :s.

Theres a thought, what is the general opinion of the Harlequin?

I tried doing the 5 suns trick, but I kept losing spin and especially balance... meh. I'll try and practice doing suns between tricks, do you mean just a normal sun, i.e. putting a loop in the string? What can I do from there?

mitchelljuggles

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:42:48 am »
I use and like my harlequin. The only thing i dont like about it is the colour (hehe) Sun and Moons are good links as too suicides. I was taught by a chinese trainer who insists i do a throw, before and after whilst learning a trick. I find this helps me with my combos.