Author Topic: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos  (Read 39721 times)

kizzyontay52

Re: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:56 pm »
you do know that Langerz videos are sped up right?

no, they arent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNca1bDF0eI

3:30 onwards, every other person is in normal speed, so is the car in the background.

i hope you were joking :P
"Its, a yoyo, not a mini diabolo. Yes, one of those things with the sticks and that, but this is a yoyo."

ecuador16

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:38 pm »
i have two questions
who carries these diabolos in the US and what type of diabolo does langerz use it looks like a fixed fly
but smaller

im sure people have asked him that a million times and
langerz is the washer plastic?
it doesent make any sense for it to be plastic they should have known it would melt

ep2992

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »
I just got The Duncan Phoenix Thursday evening in the mail. ( I ordered it on amazon.com.)  Here's what I liked and didn't like:
The Diabolo:
This is a very fun diabolo, although it does have it's problems.
The bearing is enjoyable to use and serves it's purpose:
the bearing mode spins quite fast. With the standard setup, it dosen't seem to spin as long as others because it's lighter than a lot of other diabolos, like my finesse. But the bearing caused it to spin for as long as I needed it to.
When I first used the bearing it shook, but it dosen't seem to do that anymore. It is also pretty loud in bearing mode.
The standard axle is also pretty good (It's wide, which I like)
But, as I said before, It has a pretty short spin time.
Sometimes the diabolo switches in mid trick from bearing to standard, or from standard to bearing, but it hasn't happened more than a few times so far and isn't a big issue.
The Knobs:
This is where I'm having the most trouble. First of all,about 50% of the time the diabolo hit the ground or anything else in my basement, where I was practicing last night, the knobs kept coming loose and having to be tightened.
Today I practiced in my snow covered back yard (and a a little bit in my basement) and this didn't happen at all. But the biggest issue for me was this: This afternoon I was using the bearing, and in mid use it switched to standard mode, and was not switching back like it normally does. So I tried opening it up, but I could only unscrew the knob on one side, the other side would not open. it was as if that knob had been super glued to the cup and the screw that goes through the axle. Both me and my father could not unscrew it.
It's now the evening and I'm still unable to open the diabolo from that side.
 (you need to open the diabolo from sides and flip both washers to make the diabolo bearing or standard.) The manual warned about not tightening the diabolo too much, but as far as I know I didn't tighten the diabolo anymore than I had in the past two days.
I'm not sure what to do about this. Does anyone have any solutions?
The Sticks
They aren't the most important part, but I thought I'd mention them.
I like these sticks. They are plastic with rubber grips. They're good for grinds
and aren't too heavy. They are also easy to attach the string too and so far I haven't had a problem with my knot coming out through the hole in the stick and having to retie it.
-----------------------------
This is a very nice diabolo, except for the knob issue.  It think it is the most fun diabolo I have used since my sundia fly broke. I think it is worth the money, but people should probably wait until the Duncan company comes out with a version that has less trouble with the knobs. Hopefully that will happen soon, because then this diabolo will be completely worth it.
Hope this info helps.

kyo

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2009, 12:55:03 am »
"The Diabolo:

With the standard setup, it dosen't seem to spin as long as others because it's lighter than a lot of other diabolos, like my finesse."

The diabolo is I believe 20g heavier than the standard finesse.

"The Knobs:
 So I tried opening it up, but I could only unscrew the knob on one side, the other side would not open. it was as if that knob had been super glued to the cup and the screw that goes through the axle. Both me and my father could not unscrew it.
It's now the evening and I'm still unable to open the diabolo from that side."

Despite the directions on the box, you only need to flip one spacer actually. I have one side locked in place and just use the other..

"The Sticks
They aren't the most important part, but I thought I'd mention them.
I like these sticks. They are plastic with rubber grips. They're good for grinds
and aren't too heavy. They are also easy to attach the string too and so far I haven't had a problem with my knot coming out through the hole in the stick and having to retie it."

Yea, the sticks are 'ok'.. they aren't top of the line, but they don't need to be for 99% of the people buying them. I think they're some of the best standard out of the box sticks out there (way nicer than those hideous wooden things henry's uses)

Kyle

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »
Woo! Exams are done now so I'll be on the forum a bit more now, aswell as updating the gear guide and sticky now :)

I had a play with one of these yesterday and thought they were ok, not fantastic though. Obviously I'd need to test it for more than 15 minutes to get a full 'feel' for them though. I was chatting to the owner of my local juggling shop (which is where I was trying out the diabolo) and he said he thinks that the price on them is going up to £35 from the £23 he was selling them at originally. This isn't due to cahnges in the diabolo or anything, just the cost of importing them at the moment.

Anyone else heard anything like this?

-Leo

Behind your back is your front.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2009, 02:28:01 pm »
^ That would not surprise me at all - the Sundia stuff has recently gone up in price pretty sharply for the same reason (exchange rates and the weak pound) - 6 months ago £1 was worth $2.10 - now its only worth $1.36.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that anything bought in USD is now costing a lot more UK£'s to get here - the shipping cost is also more as is the tax when it does arrive.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

K

« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2009, 11:27:14 am »
My friend who owns a circus store around me is getting these in soon. Im hoping to have a go. How do they compare to Fly's and Suns and Finesse's etc etc?

-K
Im left handed. Get over it!

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2009, 04:44:27 pm »
they dont really. if you've got a fly and a sun don't bother getting one of these:)

Jim Brennan

« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2009, 02:31:43 am »
I saw one of these at the Madfest Juggling Festival, Madison, WI, USA in January.

It rated pretty high with me.  It runs quiet and is balanced.

Only 2 cons:
1) Wish it was a 5 inch diabolo.
2) Seemed like it took a lot of strength to tighten this one up after conversion so it wouldn't wobble.

Here's a link off diabolotricks.com to a video of assembly ect.

http://diabolotricks.com/videos/Duncan/Duncan4.wmv

I also noticed that Serious Juggling is selling them for $27 USD.
|)><(|

Will G

« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2009, 11:41:25 am »

I think it is...

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »
Interesting. Thanks for the video, Jim.
I assumed it was too. Higgins is listing it as 5 inch. Is it 4.5?
Following up on my earlier posts I should mention that Higgins Brothers is now carrying these in Canada (and also ship to the US).

Will G

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:25 pm »
Interesting. Thanks for the video, Jim.I assumed it was too. Higgins is listing it as 5 inch. Is it 4.5?
Following up on my earlier posts I should mention that Higgins Brothers is now carrying these in Canada (and also ship to the US).

It's the same size as a finesse

Jim Brennan

« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2009, 03:18:57 am »
Oh, I see that they are 5 inch now.  The prototype we tried was about a 4.5 inch.  I do like the Sundia Fly better.  As long as they stay low in price, the Duncan Phoenix are a great bargain to someone looking to upgrade from a crappy diabolo.
|)><(|

TonyDHelms29624

« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:32 am »
IMHO, I love the Phoenix diabolo. I think it's one of the better ones that I have. I actually prefer these over the Finesses.

kyo

« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:50 am »
Oh, I see that they are 5 inch now.  The prototype we tried was about a 4.5 inch.  I do like the Sundia Fly better.  As long as they stay low in price, the Duncan Phoenix are a great bargain to someone looking to upgrade from a crappy diabolo.

Sorry, but as I have every prototype of this diabolo ever made sitting in my closet, there was never a 4.5" version.

The diabolo fits perfectly into a spot that was missing. I personally use my above anything else, but I'm also biased.. I do still love my suns and finesses.

It's far better than the cheap stuff, and it plays well enough to be used for anything.. but it probably won't win over people who are already using high end diabolos. It does offer a -cheap- bearing solution for beginners, and ends any debate over buying fixed or bearing.. no need to risk not liking one or the other.

Also a side note to anybody who has had trouble with bearings locking.. it is being fixed, I'll let you guys know as soon as I have more information.. you should be able to get a replacement.

Kyle

Bish

« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2009, 04:42:00 am »
I'm looking forward to playing with one of these. I want to see how they compare to other bearing diabolos. I'm also wondering how long it takes to go from bearing to fixed. does any one have a rough idea?

kyo

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2009, 08:15:47 am »
I could probably do it in maybe 15-20 seconds? It's quite simple.. unscrew knob, pull off shell, flip spacer, put on shell, screw on knob.

Note: there is word that replacement bearings are going to be made available soon for those experiencing problems.

Kyle

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »
So its about the same time it takes to change the axle on a fly?
Alex abuses flys!

seán_

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »
So its about the same time it takes to change the axle on a fly?
Takes me longer than that to go between fixed and bearing on a fly. (what with finding the tools and ordering a fixed axle and everything :)

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2009, 07:08:58 am »
I can already imagine another convention game..
I really want to try one of these Duncan diabolos. Its a shame they sound about as useful as a wooden frying pan.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro