Author Topic: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos  (Read 37237 times)

Beni

Re: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 08:52:42 pm »
...nice tutorial ::).

Just out of interest, does anyone know exactly HOW the axle is changed? I'm guessing it's something to do with fixing it to the hubs...

Beni

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 10:15:04 pm »
I am guessing it woul;d be something with the hubs, if I tighten my short axle fly enough it'll play fixed. And I don't have to over tighten it either.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

stupendous

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:23 pm »
...nice tutorial ::).

Just out of interest, does anyone know exactly HOW the axle is changed? I'm guessing it's something to do with fixing it to the hubs...

Beni
I have heard that there will be no tools required to change from fixed to bearing and back again.  The hubs screw together, though I don't know if it is tension that keeps the bearing from spinning.

-stu
Spintatsics Diabolo Team

jordak

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:53 am »
It said there coming Summer 2008...what's the latest word on it?

I myself am excited about the axle concept, but I expect that it will be initially flawed in Duncan's choice of materials or hub construction.

I guess my feelings could be summed up in excited skepticism
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 01:26:53 pm »
It said there coming Summer 2008...what's the latest word on it?
I myself am excited about the axle concept, but I expect that it will be initially flawed in Duncan's choice of materials or hub construction.
I think Duncan got too caught up with his dissertation and the forum to finish up the diabolo. Duncan doesn't know much about materials or hub construction either. Oh wait...

Ethan

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 01:33:42 pm »
bravo Duncan for the idea! going to have to get me a pair of those when i get my next paycheck, looking forward to the results
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher

thetemple94

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »
Whoa, 4 month necro.
Why Bother When You Can Diabolo?

jordak

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 02:56:12 pm »
Whoa, 4 month necro.

...Well, I thought that since summer '08 is coming to a close, an update might be helpful to people waiting on this product. Sorry if it's not proper forum etiquette, but we should be expecting news from Duncan soon right?
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 03:28:49 pm »
...Well, I thought that since summer '08 is coming to a close, an update might be helpful to people waiting on this product. Sorry if it's not proper forum etiquette, but we should be expecting news from Duncan soon right?

News from me? Okay: Until there's proper news, have some fun with this: http://www.yo-yo.com/games.asp

And I found this weird entry on Wikipedia that might apply to those who are getting antsy about news from Duncan Yo Yos.

If you're getting peeved at how long its taking to get some news from them, try finding some news about when the Finesse bearings are coming out :).

-[The Real] Duncan

kyo

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 08:04:51 pm »
ask and ye shall receive.

They are still coming, just a bit behind. If you know anything about Duncan, you'll know that's pretty typical.. I don't think they've ever hit an intended release date perfectly. However, they also have a good habit of not releasing things until they are right.. so have faith.

They also aren't doing this blindly, they're not guessing at what diabolo players want, or trying to design something they know nothing about.. they got help.

Kyle

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 11:47:43 pm »
Sorry for the necro, but here is a prototype in the flesh!

http://flickr.com/photos/docpopular/2915583645/

kyo

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:20 am »
To elaborate on that image, and to field some questions before they arise..

It requires -no- tools to open, and no tools or extra parts to change from fixed to bearing. The weight is around 270g, putting it between the finessee (around 250 I believe) and the circus (around 300 stock).

The shells are rubbery so they don't pick up rough edges as bad when they get scratched up (on of my problems with my sundias and other hard shelled diabolos). Stock colors will be red or white, cheap shell packs will be available to switch in a variety of colors.. I have to assume many juggling shops will put together their own color combination because of this.

It will be in stores I expect sometime next month, and will be cheaper than pretty much all the current higher end offerings from other companies (I don't believe there is an MSRP officially yet, but expect something like 25-30 USD)

Kyle

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:18 am »
Looks promising. Eager to hear some reviews from you guys. Everything
comes to here with huge delay...
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

allsoppy5

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 08:56:05 am »
Sounds great =D Might have to get myself one to try it out.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 01:16:07 pm »
Looks promising. Eager to hear some reviews from you guys. Everything
comes to here with huge delay...

As Kyo told me, Duncan has a larger distribution network than any juggling company. So maybe this time it's just a regular delay, and maybe since they're so inexpensive you could have someone in America (like me) ship you some.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

monkiatzu

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »
hmm i dont trust the easy hand change from bearing to fixed...
then again i havn't investigated it yet
what an interesting idea  :-\

kyo

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 03:43:02 pm »
what's not to trust?

It's essentially a spacer that when placed one direction, doesn't touch the bearing sleeve.. and the other direction, is allowed to grip down on it holding it in place.

Kyle

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 11:44:54 pm »
what's not to trust?

It's essentially a spacer that when placed one direction, doesn't touch the bearing sleeve.. and the other direction, is allowed to grip down on it holding it in place.

Kyle

Kind of like a clutch-bearing spacer =D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

ecuador16

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 12:30:30 am »
i made a search in google to see if i could find anything new on this diabolo and found this nothing specific but really random they dont even have a price??? but you can order it ?
who wants to get their bank account robbed to find out ????
lol but anyways here you are
http://www.gallantgifts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=gg&Product_Code=512739733

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 01:22:50 am »
Wow, that prototype actually looks really nice (wonder if it plays nice though) and the whole idea is awesome. I´m still afraid to use Fly´s outside because of the cups material so if these are more durable it should be a really nice diabolo for casual play on rough surfaces like concrete. Best would be something close to Circuscups imho.

Will be exciting to hear what other people think of this and if it´s worth the money.

cheap shell packs will be available to switch in a variety of colors.. I have to assume many juggling shops will put together their own color combination because of this.

This sounds good, why doesn´t more companies do that?

It will be in stores I expect sometime next month, and will be cheaper than pretty much all the current higher end offerings from other companies (I don't believe there is an MSRP officially yet, but expect something like 25-30 USD)

25-30 usd for a bearing + non-bearing diab. That does not sound so good though. Well, the price in itself sound good but still...for that price can the quality still be kept high?