Author Topic: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos  (Read 37496 times)

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 02:05:28 am »
where do you think the high price on other diabolos comes from? it's because of taxes and shipping from other countries, on top of that they also say you can't sell cheaper than x amount sometimes so other diabolos are more expensive

where as duncan has a very good shipping network and a lot of stores that carry their products (way more than any juggling company) they're also an american company so there really isn't much for taxes I would assume thus lowering the price but I assure you Duncan is a fine company the last thing they would do is release a piece of junk esp since their yo-yos are such quality
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

monkiatzu

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 03:12:26 am »
the taxes idea makes sense, so it would be cheaper for someone in USA than for someone in Australia..
that sounds right, but as previously said duncan already shipps very well, could this be the dream diabolo we've all been waiting for?

kyo

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:34 am »
The pricing can be explained quite simply.. Duncan is simply a whole lot bigger than everybody else, and therefor gets the benefits of greater buying power.

We're talking about a company that started in 1929, which is a small part of a much larger plastics company called Flambeau (maker of such things as plastic cases and boxes of all sorts, parking meters (Don Duncan invented those), decoy ducks, etc.. which is in turn a small part of an again much larger Nordic Group. Anyway, we're talking about a company who produces a huge range of products, so with that come some benefits of lowered production cost.

As to the play, well.. I'm probably biased.. in the interest of full disclosure, I designed this thing from the ground up and it's my name you'll find on the patents. I do not officially work for Duncan, they simply brought me in as outside help when they began dealing with a product they didn't have experience with.

It has been tested with the help of some great diabolo players, all of whom seem quite happy with it. I personally use that prototype every day.. and I can't wait to get them on the shelf.

Kyle

fzzyrn

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 01:14:19 am »
hubstack attachments. now.
that'd be awesome........

this could be a start of a shift to a more yoyo like diab technique, or at least a more popular following.

Langerz, your true calling has come

kyo

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 01:23:56 am »
Having been around and involved in the development of the current yo-yo trends for the last 10 years... I'm not sure that's a good cross over to make :)

Kyle

fzzyrn

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:34 am »
why? I know they aren't used that much in yoyos, but what with the ease of vertax with diabs, it couldn't be that be that impractical.

z-stacks and those other jutty out-y ones too.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 05:04:33 am »
i kinda feel privileged to live in the USA now, maybe I'll actually get something B4 all you guys
can't believe its not butter

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 10:30:33 am »
The pricing can be explained quite simply.. Duncan is simply a whole lot bigger than everybody else, and therefor gets the benefits of greater buying power.

where do you think the high price on other diabolos comes from? it's because of taxes and shipping from other countries, on top of that they also say you can't sell cheaper than x amount sometimes so other diabolos are more expensive

OK this makes sense then. It still sounds very cheap though. Duncan is that company that makes spinning tops and such correct?

hubstack attachments. now.
that'd be awesome........

There are actual plans on this or not (haven´t read the entire thread yet)? If there are I´m getting one wether it´s crap or not :D.

fzzyrn

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 12:41:21 pm »
yeah i know about the stacks and the ones langerz and tommi(?) made.
i'm more interested in the really pointy ones that you see in some yoyo videos.

thetemple94

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 12:45:41 pm »

Top tips? I'm all for something like that. Think of the possibilities!
Why Bother When You Can Diabolo?

kyo

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 04:38:05 am »
I'm happy to listen to all suggestions.. some things of various sorts are being worked on and developed, but nothing is certain yet.. aside from the diabolo itself :)

Kyle

..and yes, that was intentionally as vague as possible.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 11:45:56 am »

Top tips? I'm all for something like that. Think of the possibilities!

Kyo, you are developing these? If so you can add me to the requests already made about those pointy hubstacks (Z-stacks or whatever they´re called in yoyo?). That would make it like a one-sided and normal diabolo combined. How cool would that be to do 3D floor excalibur and Sharpes style ice passing without the ice 8).

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2008, 01:21:25 pm »
How cool would that be to do 3D floor excalibur and Sharpes style ice passing without the ice 8).
Probably about as cool as doing it on ice... If not warmer being that ice is frozen ;).

I'm quite looking forward to this diab though! Any plans for lights or anything?

P.S A fire version?
Alex abuses flys!

kizzyontay52

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
2nd post!

Im really looking forward to the release of this! As a duncan yoyo collectior (collection of 20+) i have no doubts that this will be an amazing product!

about the pointy hubstacks (top tips) has it actually been said that this will have them, and how will they fit on as well as the hand tightening thingy for fixed axle to bearing conversions? The CAD picture shows great big duncan emblems on the side, which i assume will be used for the tightening, but how will those AND the hubstacks fit on?

~KZ
"Its, a yoyo, not a mini diabolo. Yes, one of those things with the sticks and that, but this is a yoyo."

kyo

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »
I'd like to note again that nothing is certain about future attachments at all.. some ideas have been tossed around, but I make absolutely no promises. There are some things I'd like to see, but we'll have to wait and see where it all goes..

I'd say a light kit is most likely at least in the near future.

For now, you'll just have to enjoy the diabolo :)

Kyle

GbH

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:13 pm »
Kyle,

I'm intrigued - how long does it take to switch from fixed axle to bearing?  Is it something that could be done mid-way through a show?  If I'm working 'light', it sucks having to have either both types with me, or to just use bearings.

Guy

kyo

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 04:51:32 am »
It's relatively fast, but it isn't instant, so you'd need some sort of pause or stop in the show.

You need to disassemble it, but it requires no tools.. just spin off one of the knobs, pull the shell/hub off, flip a spacer over, reassemble.

It takes me about 15-20 seconds I guess.. never really tried to see how fast I could do it.

The knobs bottom out, so there is no risk of over-tightening in a rush.

Kyle

GbH

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 11:04:24 pm »
Thanks for that, Kyle.  Although not an immediate change, it still might be fast enough for some situations, given a little imagination and story telling.  I'm already well experienced in taking apart a tangled yo-yo whilst demonstrating how "it's not actually powered by batteries or an army of small ants..." as a cover up to what I'm really doing!   ;D

kyo

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 03:31:48 am »
Yea, it could be fit into a show.. I've seen many shows where someone disappears behind a prop briefly, but that's usually with a multi-person act..

If you figure out a good way to do it, let us know :)

jazz-man3

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2008, 08:52:41 pm »
still no pic of the axle. :-[