Author Topic: Length of sticks  (Read 12081 times)

Dax

Length of sticks
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:03:50 am »
what length of stick does everyone prefer?

henry's offer 35 and 41 cm carbon fibre sticks. I opted for the shorter one as they were the same as the wooden sticks is used to have. Having tried both lengths i much prefer the shorter ones. I get a better feel of the diabolo and more control with shorter sticks.

what does everyone else think??

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
Re: length of sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:29:14 am »
Quote from: Dax
what length of stick does everyone prefer?

what does everyone else think??

I guess I prefer the stick length that Henry's aluminium sticks happen to be.
Luke

Dax

Length of sticks
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:19:43 am »
their 32.5cms, even shorter than mine!

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Length of sticks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:49:48 pm »
I find that the shorter sticks give more control and look better when performing.  When I see people performing with the big old white sticks I used to use (easily twice as long as the aluminum sticks).  Shorter sticks are also easier to travel with  :D .
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

kragen

Length of sticks
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 03:03:24 pm »
I've never understood why people prefer shorter sticks - surely holding the sticks half way down the handsticks gives the same effect :P

One intresting thing I found: When I started 2 diabolo I started holding my handsticks closer to the string under suggestion from Ed - It did seem to help, however a few weeks ago doing around the arm with my fire diabolo I realised why my around the arm doesnt seem to work anymore - I started holding my handsticks at the end again and my around the arm worked fine, I held them furthur down the handsticks and I couldnt catch it.

I do now tend to hold my handsticks a lot closer to the string though - I might have to experiment and see about forcing myself to hold them at the ends and see if this actualy gives more control, or just the illusion of more control :P
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Matt_

• Donator
Length of sticks
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:36:19 pm »
Quote from: kragen
I've never understood why people prefer shorter sticks - surely holding the sticks half way down the handsticks gives the same effect :P

well, yeah that works with wooden sticks which are the same all the way down. but for aluminum/carbon fiber or similar ones that have a "handle" type area, that's pretty much where you have to hold them, or else it feels really awkward.

Sean

• Administrator
Length of sticks
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:43:24 pm »
I've never understood why people prefer shorter sticks - surely holding the sticks half way down the handsticks gives the same effect

Well perhaps... but it just looks plain silly.  :wink:

Besides reasons of aesthetic preference, the extra stick sticking out the back of your hand can get in the way with some moves and catch the string accidentally.

And yes, the carbon fiber sticks are very skinny away from the handle. It doesn't work very well to hold long carbon fiber sticks half way up the stick.

Short sticks are most definitely the "in" thing. I'd vouch for the length of the henrys aluminum sticks being a good length.

seán_

Length of sticks
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 03:59:17 pm »
Quote from: Matt_

well, yeah that works with wooden sticks which are the same all the way down. but for aluminum/carbon fiber or similar ones that have a "handle" type area, that's pretty much where you have to hold them, or else it feels really awkward.

I find that when I choke up on long sticks the extra length tends to hit my body or prevent me rotating my wrist as freely as I have become used to with shorter sticks

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Length of sticks
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 09:29:42 pm »
Yeah, the extra length gets caught on clothing a lot and string sometimes, and makes the sticks swing slower (you can get used to this, but its harder work than geno's need to be). Plus is does look silly having long sticks and holding the middle AND you get more control over what the sticks/diabolo(s) are doing.

Paul

Length of sticks
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 12:11:58 am »
Short sticks are the way forward. When I switched to short henrys alu when I was learning 2 diabolo, tricks and combos started coming much faster. I realise how much less control I had with those whopping big carbon sticks. Instant improvement on my part anyhow. Everyone should try. You will be amazed. Shorties where the key tom my sucess learning the fan. Within 5 mins of getting my short alu I could do it!!!!
Peace

Chiok

• Donator
Length of sticks
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 01:09:41 pm »
I too am an advocate for shorter sticks, you do get more control because your hands aren't as far away from the string (which is where most of the fun happens).  However, choking up on the stick might give finer control, but it's a damn more effort to accelerate diabolos especially whipping, so holding them at the end during acclerating means a lot less effort and stress in the poor wrists and arms.

So, short sticks go!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

jake jones

long or short carbon sticks?
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:23:41 pm »
i was just wondering, do you guys like long carbon sticks or the short ones? also. which is best, carbon fibre sticks? or fibre glass?

fadge

Length of sticks
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:19 pm »
short carbon fibre sticks are my favourite because they have great control with one and two diabolos and are alot more comfortable to use. I advise against fibre glass as they flex too much especially when doing two,and even more so if you are using circuses rather than finesses. I see no benefit with the long sticks as they are quite cumbersome to use and I end up holding them in the middle anyway to get good enough control on two diabolos.

Sorry for the long reply.

Hope it helps though

Fadge

mango

Length of sticks
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 12:22:07 am »
long ones are better for body tricks while short one are better for suicides

DAMIEN

Length of sticks
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 03:37:44 am »
i preffer the short carbon sticks but thats my apinion :D
GO HARD OR GO HOME DIABOLO FOREVER!
I LOVE 2 DIABOLO'S!

William

• VotW Contributor
Adjustable sticks
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 03:51:20 am »
Its up to personal preference. I think Mr Babache or Henry's should make up with some adjustable sticks so you can have your own custom length :D  Something Similar to the handlebars on a mini scooter, But smaller.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

phil

Length of sticks
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 08:10:42 am »
Yes, hmmmm extendable sticks would be rad :D . I have long black carbons and short white carbons. I would recomend long black because the white ones get their grip dirty and i feel that the longer ones are much smoother for grinds, and if you want it a tad shorter, hold it further down!!  :wink:
The dream of diabolo..... i just hope i never wake up!

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Length of sticks
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 02:20:44 pm »
Short all the way for me, took a lil while to get used to em from long but I switched because I was holding them halfway down anyway and the end I wasn't using kept getting in the way....I still hold the short ones halfway down though  :roll:

I see no advantage to the long ones myself, if I hold the short ones as they are designed for they still feel too long.

The Vitamin Guy

Length of sticks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
I feel that I can get speed easier with the long sticks, but I still perfer the short ones...
The Vitamin Guy

QUOTH

Length of sticks
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 09:11:49 am »
Well babache extremes aluminium and henries aliminiums are both pretty much the same length as henries short's. So seems that short is more popular.

Apart from wooden sticks ive never used long sticks, and that was a world ago so cant compare. Everything ive read and everything ive heard says go for carbon over fibre, for all the reasons listed above.

Tho one heads up, henries shorts use alot of string, and the longs would use even more. If you go through string quickly, get some(short or) other sticks ;)
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.