Author Topic: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle  (Read 48405 times)

Jonny_

Re: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2008, 11:40:13 am »
I prefer bearings i use fixed and bearing and the difference in spin is so big it feel like im using a different prop bearing makes vertax much easier and i have problems with speeding 2 diabolos so bearing helps alot with that

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
I bought one.. But I can't play with them.. So I'll just stick my finesses

keep having the odd play you'll get used to it... theres no such thing as cant :)

Simalacrum

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2009, 01:01:25 pm »
You can do an elevator -  but why would you want too.  Bearings offer so much more - & & no you can't do anything you can do on bearings with fixed - not even close - but you can do most things with fixed on a bearing.
Wait, hold on a second, how do you do the elevator with a bearing diabolo? I've never managed to do that and I miss the trick D: (hey, what can I say, its a good crowd pleaser :P)

On topic, I personally prefer bearing diabolo's to fixed axel - the noise does get a bit annoying sometimes though, and can get in the way of a performance... fixed are also better to begin with compared to bearing.

Toddyupa

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »
For performing, It's gotta be fixed. full stop if you ask me.
For videos, both work well, but there are those hard tricks you need in the vid that are only possible with bearings.
Great for Vetax too. I'm going to get both.
And don't the Wide but fixed axle not get caught as much as the normal axle?
pretentious 12 year old

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:41 pm »
For performing, It's gotta be fixed. full stop if you ask me.
Why would that be?

Perhaps you haven't seen Nev perform with bearing diabolos. Look for videos from this year's Finish diabolo convention.

Toddyupa

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2009, 04:41:45 am »
Why would that be?

Perhaps you haven't seen Nev perform with bearing diabolos. Look for videos from this year's Finish diabolo convention.

-Microphones - the noise can really put some people off. If the people are close, then you won't even need mics to annoy the others.
-Throw starts - don't want to throw it up the wrong way.
-Elevator - It doesn't make sense to an outsider, so it's a great performance trick.
-2d - I find that bearings just don't work that well for 2d. I've also heard that allot too. And a performance must have 2d. Sprinklers, which are also great outsider trick, doesn't seem to work for me with bearings.

But no, I haven't seen Nev perform with bearings, I don't think I've seen anyone.
pretentious 12 year old

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:50 am »
With the triple bearings you can hardly hear them at all. Also I've seen a performance with no music, but only the sound of bearings and worked amazingly well. Heard that it got a standing ovation at the EJC if I remember correctly.

Saying that you shouldn't use bearings because you might throw it the wrong way is just silly. You probably shouldn't perform any tricks, because you might do them wrong.

I don't give a flying duck about the elevator.

And 2d. If it doesn't work for you that must mean that it won't work for anyone else. Have you checked the collabs and Nev's 2d madness? And why do performances NEED 2d? Seen many with just one and they've been great!

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:37 am »
And there's a way to do elevator with bearing diabolo. Some FDA board members will post video of it some day now. The real elevator trick with bearing diabolo is here. It's no excuse to get fixed.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Toddyupa

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:29 am »
Fine, you win. :embarassed: I was wrong... BUT, if you want me to really believe in bearings I must see those videos of bearing elevator, and any performance of Nev.
pretentious 12 year old

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2009, 12:29:08 pm »
There was the video posted quite recently as well, 'summer homework' or something, that had some ridiculously nice 2d bearing stuff. Watch the FDC videos, nev pops up in those.
Alex abuses flys!

Toddyupa

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:24 am »
Yep, bearings are a lot better than i thought. but...

Now your trying to make me wrong about them, but I only said no (horrible past deciseion which I really regret now :-D ) for performances.
pretentious 12 year old

NiekG

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2009, 09:02:50 am »
I don't give a flying duck about the elevator.
:)
Meh,

gravity

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »
I think that flys are best as a learning tool because i have sat fore ages trying to suss out trick's. in time's withe broken spinabolos and as soon as i brought my fly's my learning time for tricks was cut in half but anyway now it stands i use my fly's fore slacks and indoor practice an just take my taibolos out and about.
a fool trains until he succeeds a master trains he can not fail!!

7-Sins

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
first of all i dont think its a bad thing that (if they where) designed for easyier play.
what ist designed to do things easyier?
is a metal axle bad/cheating because the diabolo was long around before without metal axles?
bet the cups where made out of wood to.
not many ppl use wooden sticks anymore.

on the other hand i do agree that it it a sort of cheating when to ppl start diaboling and one has a fixed and one has a bearing axle,its more easyier to learn stuff with them.
but eventually you'll create your own style and your tricks become smoother and the difference between fixed and bearing users fade away.
plus if some1 fails a trick with fixed axles they need to grab the diab and speed up again.
bearings most of them time are still spinning and u can grab your "failed" stick and move on.
THIS SAVES LOTS OF TIME!!!!

daniel

VERTAX is only rubbish if you suck at it, (most people do)(me too)

christoi

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2010, 05:58:39 pm »
I think comparing bearings and fixed axles are impossible because they are 2 different types and there are many differences.
It's like comparing sprinting and running a marathon. If you sprint, you can go faster for a short period of time before you slow down a lot while if you run a marathon, you can run a longer distance faster as you have a stable and comfortable pace.
Same with diabolos. Correct me if I am wrong but bearings are similar to sprinting because you can learn tricks quickly without developing good technique but eventually you will need a good technique to learn the harder tricks. This will take longer as you need to develop the technique. Fixed axles take longer to learn tricks but you can develop a good technique and your skill will be much higher.
I'm not sure but I think fixed diabolos are good in the long run but bearings are only a short term advantage.
Still, I do not thing the use of bearings is "cheating." If you are having a competition on how long your infinite suicide can last or something, the use of bearing could be called cheating but I think everyone can choose what diabolo's they use. For example, an Arlekino Diabolo  is harder so use compared to a finesse g4 but you wouldn't say the use of finesse g4 is cheating.
Btw, this is an arlekino diabolo : http://firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Mr_Babache_Mini__Arlekino_.html

In case anyone misunderstands what I am saying, I am not saying that you should switch from a bearing to a fixed to develop good technique. Depending on the diabolo, some tricks are easier and some are harder. If you use a diabolo that makes it easier for you to learn a trick, you will not learn the technique. Using a diabolo that is harder to do the trick gives you the "correct" technique and it will be easier to learn a trick that is related in the future. Bearings and fixed axels are a great example because bearing give you a huge advantage due to the fact that it spins longer. It may be good to have both and learn the trick with the bearing and then try it with fixed. You will first learn how to do the trick and then develop the technique. When you learn a trick, you need to first work out how to do the trick. Bearings can speed the process up so you can concentrate on learning the technique allowing you to progress faster.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »
If you are having a competition on how long your infinite suicide can last or something, the use of bearing could be called cheating

Of all the tricks you had to pick to make your point you picked an infinite trick. Its infinite. Bearing or no bearing its still infinite. If anything its more awkward on a bearing, its much much easier with a bit of string grip.
Alex abuses flys!

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »
Just to add to it Christoi, you don't seem to have taken account of the fact prolonged use of bearings leads to an entirely different style of diabolo far detracted from fixed axle play. It's not a question of difficulty or learning curves in my view but rather, a question of which style of diabolo suits you. Personally I find that bearings gives the player more room for negotiation and open a wide expanse of tricks not possible in fixed play so long as some degree of creativity is thrown in. Having said this, I feel fixed opens up doors for some amazing 2d suicides as well as those more traditional tricks such as fans, sprinklers etc. Needless to say fixed is also the way forward for learning 3.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »
Without Bearings then we wouldn't have most of the stuff that Jem comes up with and that would be bad. Jem is a perfect example of how Bearings can be used to great effect.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »
Thanks Ben. BTW I've pulled off that challenge you set me at B.O.B re: 2d Eiffels but hard to get clean.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2010, 07:49:03 pm »
bearing are weeeeeeell goooooood! come on jem 2d eiffels are easy!

lz

www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.