Author Topic: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle  (Read 45750 times)

sasha

Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:30:17 pm »
I own two Henry Circus and two Sundia Bearing and since I bought my bearings I only ever use the Circuses for 2d practice.

My opinion is that the fixed axle consumes strings much much faster, wraps up all the time, loses speed in seconds and makes for lousy practice and grinds.

The bearing never wraps up, barely consumes string, spins for a long long time and grind very controlled.

If enthusiastic fixed axle users would give me their views I hope I will appreciate fixed axle diabolo-play more, like I have learned to appreciate 2d, 3d and site swapping more from this forum.

Sasha

fzzyrn

Re: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:33:49 pm »
It's nearly imposssible to do elevators with bearings?

I guess you could count that as a loss

Jimthegrim

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:41:45 pm »
I use both fixed axle and bearing axle. It depends what youre doing, for instance, from my experience, id say circusses are great for 2D, especially for sprinklers, but for 1D, if I had the choice of a circus or a bearing diab, id most probably go with the bearing. And yeah, with bearing diabolos, you can use string which is almost black (i use yellow string most of the time) and theres no bad side effects. Sometimes its better because of the added grip dead string gives.

Jim

sasha

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
It's nearly imposssible to do elevators with bearings?

Well elevators are almost only for an easy wow out of the crowd

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:13:30 pm »
Unlike yo-yos (for the most part - as far as I know) bearings for diabolos are very situational, I use them strictly for vertical axis, and fixed for normal axis. Many tricks I find very very easy with bearings in vertax I find very very difficult with fixed, and likewise the other way.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

sasha

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:22:16 pm »
Yeah fixed vertax is really hard

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:34:40 pm »
No it really isn't.  Bearings allow for your diabolo to keep more of the speed when your technique sucks.  Your bearings are a crutch which compensates for your lack of technique.  If you learn how to do a trick with a fixed axle without losing much speed then your technique is good because you won't be rubbing the cups excessively and spinning yourself around for too long.  A prime example of this is repeat excalibur genocides.  If your string hits the diabolo at an angle, a fixed diabolo would lose alot of spin while a bearing wouldn't. 

Fixed teaches technique, bearings are a crutch to compensate for technique.

Josh

fzzyrn

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »
Ouchies.
I use bearings when i don't want to accelerate that much because i'm feeling lazy or something

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:38:02 am »
No it really isn't.  Bearings allow for your diabolo to keep more of the speed when your technique sucks.  Your bearings are a crutch which compensates for your lack of technique.  If you learn how to do a trick with a fixed axle without losing much speed then your technique is good because you won't be rubbing the cups excessively and spinning yourself around for too long.  A prime example of this is repeat excalibur genocides.  If your string hits the diabolo at an angle, a fixed diabolo would lose alot of spin while a bearing wouldn't. 

Josh

Not quite, you do that excalibur suicide that Ben does in his PEC cup video, with a fixed axle, it dies no matter how good your technique is.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:32 am »
It does but with good technique it dies slower.  Bearings allow it to die slower even if you screw with it.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 03:08:56 am »
Regardless, bearings are good for vertax because they allow for sloppy technique. ::)

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 03:42:06 am »
Plus, wraps in vertax with fixed diabolos with even slightly used string gives a nasty grippy effect which can pull the diabolo towards you and gets very hard to use using long string with vertax.

I can do vertax, and tricks with fixed, and with bearing, but tricks seem to last longer and even look better with bearings for vertax.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 03:59:41 am »
Again Asa, that is due to bad technique.  It's like chinese whip normally if you cross the string then it'll wrap up.  I remember there being a good post explaining it with a diagram a short while back...  If you could do say repeat genocides with fixed then imagine how many you can do with bearings.  That's why you should do it with fixed, you'll get proper technique so it doesn't look like you spazzed and somehow caught it again...  Fixed for technique, bearings crutch for technique.

Josh

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:06:33 am »

Josh

lack of technique? really? different props for different styles.

try not to anger me on this subject again.

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Beni

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:44:31 am »
Bearings are cheating :). If you screw up with a bearing diabolo and end up with fifteen twists in the string and like 3 backside wraps, the diabolo just carries on spinning.
Also 2d styles are very different with bearing and fixed. You can't do (or it's really hard to do) tricks like RHFW to LH armstall, unfeed the sun, string climbs, slowicide+fingergrind etc.

Beni

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 02:23:58 pm »
Bearings are cheating :).

Shut up Beni.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

sasha

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 03:05:29 pm »
Again Asa, that is due to bad technique.  It's like chinese whip normally if you cross the string then it'll wrap up.  I remember there being a good post explaining it with a diagram a short while back...  If you could do say repeat genocides with fixed then imagine how many you can do with bearings.  That's why you should do it with fixed, you'll get proper technique so it doesn't look like you spazzed and somehow caught it again...  Fixed for technique, bearings crutch for technique.

Josh

How about learn with fixed, perform with bearing?
I havent thought about this arugment but your right, ill try to practice more fixed

Sasha

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »
i actually like fixed way more. for me vertax gens are easier with fixed.

i think that tricks with fixed impress diaboloists more than with bearing and tricks with bearing impress non-diaboloists more.
for example continuous vertax gens look awesome to a non diaboloists but to a diaboloists i am just like 'boring, he is using bearing so of course it is going to be easy. another example are fans. to me a fan with fixed is way more impressive, (nev springs to mind) rather than someone doing 20 360s with bearing.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 03:25:54 pm »
can everyone PLEASE stop being so narrow minded. there are tricks (LOADS) that can only be done with bearings, is this so difficult to understand? they are two completely different props ment for completely different things.

feel free to prove me wrong by doing the last string trick in 'contrast' with a finnesse, or maybe the string trick in this weeks 'votw' with a circus.

lz

thinking outside the box

www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »
I completely agree with LaNgErZ. There are some brilliant things with 2D that be done with bearings due to the diabs ability to spin, even with a knot around the axle. For me bearings are almost everything I need for 1D, 2D and 3D high. 3D low is my only gripe about them so far, but hey they have a number of positives to them and that's why I use them for almost all of my practice.

Oh and for the record, I hardly ever practice vertex.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.