Author Topic: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle  (Read 47196 times)

Conor

Re: Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2008, 06:40:37 pm »

However, in knot combos, bearings are really useful because there is quite a lot of the time no way to conserve or add spin, especially in backside. I hate it when I think "oh this move would look good after this one", give the (fixed) diabolo a lot of spin, then watch it run out halfway through the second trick.

there are ways of adding speed in backside, right hand fritz add speed, and you can do chinese snaps in backside just on the other side (left handed), a single one of them could look quite nice. But agreed knot combos are definately easier, and longer with bearings.

How can using a differently designed diab be cheating? Im not saying that id never use fixed axle diabs again, because I find fixed nicer to use for certain things, but conor, you said it yourself, bearings open up possibilities for pushing diaboloing forward and that cant be a bad thing surely? If no one ever adopted new designs we would still be in the dark ages.

i see your point but i prefer to push my own skill level so then wen someone says "this cant be done without bearings" i can find a way to do it. I think they have their place - which is to experiment with and push the boundaries but then learn that on a fixed axel to escpe that awful noise.

oh and bearings dont suicide quite right, frictions gone. not a fun time.

ok i'll stop flogging... USE FIXED AXELS!!!

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 12:44:47 am »
Bearings sound horrible to start with. I would never want to use one for a performance simply because of the noise. Furthermore they leave you with sloppy technique and little understanding of speed control. super-long combos are really impressive with a fixed axel but just 'meh' on a bearing. If you watch antonin (or eric) on the WJF 04 dvd they do some rediculously long combos with fixed axels, just wouldnt be the same with bearings.

Bearings can be used to push the limits or experiment with tricks that kill speed really quickly. alot of langerz stuff i imagine would be near impossible without a bearing but really its cheating.

so i have sloppy technique? and little understanding of speed control?

oh and there i was thinking I'd done something progressive for the diabolo community? I'm sorry i really am, i see it now how could i have been so stupid. obviously I've never even played fixed axle and have absolutely no understanding of integrals and perpetual motion. I'm sorry I'm not up to your standard, I'll try harder.

your an idiot, simple as that.

lz
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Daniel

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 04:11:35 am »
there are ways of adding speed in backside, right hand fritz add speed, and you can do chinese snaps in backside just on the other side (left handed), a single one of them could look quite nice. But agreed knot combos are definately easier, and longer with bearings.

i see your point but i prefer to push my own skill level so then wen someone says "this cant be done without bearings" i can find a way to do it. I think they have their place - which is to experiment with and push the boundaries but then learn that on a fixed axel to escpe that awful noise.

oh and bearings dont suicide quite right, frictions gone. not a fun time.

ok i'll stop flogging... USE FIXED AXELS!!!

You are making yourself look silly and ignorant.

It is your choice to use fixed axles but that does not mean you should push your beliefs on others because there is no way in hell this is calmly discussing the merits and disadvantages of bearings vs. fixed axle

Might it be a good time to lock this thread IMO.

Daniel,

PS I love your sloppy technique lz

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 04:59:59 am »
Unlike yo-yos (for the most part - as far as I know) bearings for diabolos are very situational, I use them strictly for vertical axis, and fixed for normal axis. Many tricks I find very very easy with bearings in vertax I find very very difficult with fixed, and likewise the other way.

I'll like to add on to that - it's also very stylistic to the person, like lz, compared to conor - obviously they both like they're own diabolo.

PS ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH FIXED, CAN BE DONE WITH BEARING ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 11:55:42 am »
I'm so much a cheat - I have absolutely no technique or speed control without my bearings.

but seriously - I can do almost all of my "cheating" bearing tricks with fixed axles (except ones which require more than 2 wraps).  Many of them were done as single tricks with fixed axles before I "cheated" and got out the bearings to extend them into combo's.

They are different props - I think completely differently when using bearings & DO NOT use them to learn tricks that don't require them (many things are actually a lot harder to do with bearings) - I use fixed axles about 80% of the time at the moment, but when I pull out the bearings, the thought process and technique changes to the "what if" mode - and THAT is why bearings are great - they made me think outside of conventional diabolo and just have fun experimenting.

<<< my there are some narrow minded fools out there
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 12:27:49 pm »
Very well said. I only use bearings for tricks that would be extremely difficult (not impossible. ;)) with fixed, such as finger pinch stuff and basically hand grinding without any use of sticks
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 12:46:26 pm »

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »
I think I'm gonna quit -everything I do is cheating, aside from 3 low.

I guess tiddlywinks will be a better hobby because there aren't really any technological advancements that can be made in the gear involved. You've made me feel guilty for cheating for the last 5 months.

-Leo

Behind your back is your front.

spinnin pig

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 04:35:34 pm »
i sort of agree with the people who say that bearings are a crutch for bad technique BUT i think its unfair to say that its cheating and that people who have bearings have no technique as people like langerz and nev prove them wrong easily
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release
sprinkler/sprinkler suicide

Conor

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 07:59:34 pm »
so i have sloppy technique? and little understanding of speed control?

oh and there i was thinking I'd done something progressive for the diabolo community? I'm sorry i really am, i see it now how could i have been so stupid. obviously I've never even played fixed axle and have absolutely no understanding of integrals and perpetual motion. I'm sorry I'm not up to your standard, I'll try harder.

lz

Ok fair play, i didnt mean that. Bearings do have their place - and u are deffinately beyond my standard so really i cant talk. i meant more in terms of beginners, they wont gain that understanding starting with bearings. i'm gonna shut up now - its personal preference.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:36 pm »
OPEN YOUR EYES!

i cant believe i'm going to type this again, but i am going to do it untill you guys realise

DIFFERENT KIT FOR DIFFERENT TRICKS!

lz

could not be more pissed off, narrow minded dickheads

spinnin pig

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 08:32:46 pm »
lol langerz just ignore the whole subject if it pisses you off that much
i agree with you different kit for different tricks but the other people are right saying that bearings make certain things easier, if you think about it, why would bearings have been made if it wasnt to give you more time to do things and ultimately to make things easier
piggy out  ;)
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:37 pm »
explain why bearings give bad technique? what? it doesn't? you don't say!

Yeah, bearings don't give bad technique they give different technique. Since you don't cascade clubs the same way you cascade rings - similar but different.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:45 am »
if you think about it, why would bearings have been made if it wasnt to give you more time to do things and ultimately to make things easier

Ignorance is bliss - at least for you my friend.  If you honestly believe bearing diabolos were first made to give more time and make things easier, then you neither deserve or need them - go follow your path..............

However, if you hanker for inovation and liquid thinking.............
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2008, 12:43:24 am »
DIFFERENT KIT FOR DIFFERENT TRICKS!
That's it! ;) Summed up beautifully.

Squiggle

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2008, 02:18:03 am »
That's it! ;) Summed up beautifully.

I think the dude in your avatar would agree.

spinnin pig

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2008, 07:59:40 pm »
Ignorance is bliss - at least for you my friend.  If you honestly believe bearing diabolos were first made to give more time and make things easier, then you neither deserve or need them - go follow your path..............

However, if you hanker for inovation and liquid thinking.............
please explain what you think bearings were made for and it is obviously one of the main selling points as most websites advertise the fact that they give a longer lasting spin
i am seriously contemplating buying a fly from your shop, that was just what seemed the most logical reason to make a new piece of kit
i am sorry if i offended anyone or annoyed anyone i was just stating my opinion
piggy out
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2008, 09:10:50 pm »
bearings offer a completely new dimension to diabolo, it opens up a inconceivable amount of possibilities which only a minuscule amount have been utilized (due to the attitude of many)

the next level of 2d is yet to appear in my opinion. nev will agree, and i'm sure will be more then happy with me making a response to a question directed at him,

if your wondering then spend the money, its another world.

diabolomoves.com is soon to be your hero, don't let the opinions of many deter you from progression.

lz

you'll see

Beni

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 09:19:30 pm »
the next level of 2d is yet to appear in my opinion.

This is so true. There is so much possible for 2d it makes my head hurt.

Beni

spinnin pig

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 09:37:27 pm »
thanks langerz
i wont be getting a bearing for a while as i just ordered a new finesse but my brother will be and ill be using that
the main reason i didnt go for one was because i stil drop a lot and have heard the the plastic cups gauge and scratch easily
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release