Author Topic: My Idea...  (Read 11235 times)

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Re: My Idea...
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 08:09:31 am »
But if that kind of kit could be built, it would allow one to manipulate the diabolo even when holdin on to it, and there still would be the spin that keeps it stable. Whole new dimension to contact diabolo I say..  And you wouldn't even have to run after the diab when you drop it, great for lazy people like me..

Its a nice idea, but i dont see why that outer shelter must be timeglass shaped like diabolo.. if those "outer cups" would be just box-shaped it wouldnt go anywhere if you drop it :) it wont look very much like diabolo, but why should it?

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 08:36:58 am »
Jussi, word. I was thinking the same thing.

Tommi, there might be one small problem with it. Remember the
time you got a brand new diabolo on your hands, you add some speed
in it and you have no idea how much it's spins. Then it gets some dirt
and you can handle it better.

Now imagine diabolo where you actually don't see the spinning part at all
:D It will take some time to get used, not seeing the speed. Okay i admit
it....pause in writing.... oh. Totally forgot it, what i was saying. Well you
can get used to it quite quickly, ah there it is. The diabolo might not lose
it's speed that fast with all the bearings there.

Nice ideas. Many things worth of trying. ;)
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
Nice idea jussi! A triangle or star shaped diabolo would be pretty cool/funny, strange to play.
No one seems to have built any kinetically charged light kits yet either.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 09:52:49 am »
Its a nice idea - I've also thought a little on this topic in the past.

The problem with this design would be the weight distribution - you're not going to have much mass actually spinning (most of the weight will be in the parts that don't spin), and its the spinning weight which keeps the diabolo stable.  Also without much mass spinning, you're going to have problems with the diabolo running out of spin pretty quickly (even with a bearing) - my past experiments have proved this to be the case.

The closest I could come to a solution was to have just the outer rim of the cups (outside 1 or 2cm only) on a large bearing ring so its just this part which does not spin.

Here's a very quick diagram (excuse the sloppiness - I drew whilst I was writing this)

The black is the cup (which still spins - so you can still cup correct etc) - the red is a large ring bearing mounted to the edge of the original cup - the green is the non spining part - either just an extension of the cup (right pic) or it could part cover the cup (left pic).

I have the tools but not the time to make one - if someone else could - I'd love to see if it works.

Edit - here's a better sketch of that
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 11:39:45 am »
Hmm, it would have to be either a totally non-flex cup, because the races of bearings don't like to flex, or the bearing attached to the axle (so a much extended Revo kit with a ring as big as the cup diameter).  Praise to your felt-tip abilities.

Although I don't see a great deal of "usefulness" in these bearing ideas.  An issue I have with hub stacks on diabolos, is that it can seem like the diabolo isn't spinning at all, and it might as well not be.  Unlike a yoyo, it doesn't need to come back to the hand afterwards.  The only thing that I thought might be interesting is Tommi's idea, although impractical.  The illusion of "spinning diabolo, stop diabolo, oooo it's started spinning again" would be worth it.

As for one cup spinning one way, and the other in the opposite direction, instinct thinks you'll be running around in circles.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

James C B

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 12:24:57 pm »
kinetically charged light kits yet either.

thats a pretty awsome idea i thought of something else whilst nodding off to bed;
solar powered! charge in the day, use at night! now thats a cool idea

anyways back to topic, are we thinking about the weight? that'll be incredibly heavy but i sort of have an idea on how to make it and could do a quick bodge at school with the vacuum formers and CAD CAM machines. as long as you keep the inside cup incredibly light you can concentrate on the outer cup. also thinking about "gyroscopics?"(not sure thats the word) the outer cup would move but wouldnt it rub on the hubs and axle? I think nevs idea is a good idea which has the potential to work

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »
Great design Nev. I thought that that type of bearing ring would have to be added into the kit I suggested, to keep the outer cup from touching the inner one. And I'm sure you are very correct when you say there would be the weight would be a problem. (Someone please invent a super light/strong material to use for it :D) I think that your idea is much more realistic one to build.

I have some more ideas, maybe ones that can get around that weight issue too. But now I don't have the time or the energy to post them.

Edit: Marko, I know the cure for that one. Just have the shelter part transparent and inner cup with Arlequino type of texture. Would make a really pretty diab too ;)

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:23 pm »
this is quite old idea and allmost forgotten one.. (something same with those thoughts above)

this is main purpose what it is for.. infinite sprinkler.. of course it has other good abilities as well..

cereal

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 02:41:29 pm »
this is quite old idea and allmost forgotten one.. (something same with those thoughts above)

this is main purpose what it is for.. infinite sprinkler.. of course it has other good abilities as well..

nice idea you could do some pretty nice things with it , if one of those diabolo's get on the market i would sure buy one  ;D

James C B

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 10:19:19 pm »
if you think about it, if it was dropped it wouldnt roll away, well as far anyways. the only flaw i see with that design is what keeps the bearing from sliding off it?

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 11:31:04 pm »
These ideas are getting space-age now :D Good ideas.
With both of the previous design though, I can't help but think they're going to break when you drop them. Metal/bearings don't flex as easy as the diabolo cup.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:57 am »
Who said metal bearings - these days you can get plastic bearings (usually PEEK) - these also have the advantage of being leightweight
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:23 am »
Who said metal bearings - these days you can get plastic bearings (usually PEEK) - these also have the advantage of being leightweight
Well aren't you just a cleaver little cookie ;)

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 11:54:05 am »
Oooh infinite sprinkler, not sure if it would work but very sweet aplication for the diabolo. Now someone get on making it ;)
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »
If you could somehow put a clutch system into tommi's design so that the cup would spin with the axle untill the cup was grabbed, engaging the cluth and having just the axle spinning. Then when you let go of the cup again the cluth would disengage and the cup would start spinning. I have very limited knowlege of cluthes like this and to be honest it is probably impossible, but it sure would be sweet if something like that could be made. A cup that IS the hubstack.

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »
i had an idea of magnetic rings on the diabolo to keep them apart if that makes sense. make for interesting patterns if they couldn't collide and maybe keep it going for ever? but this is just a pipedream:)

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 01:10:17 pm »
Just got an idea from Funty's post (which is a good idea).
Is it possible to make light kits that are magnetically attached to the diabolo? I'm guessing the magnets might somehow affect the battery???
You could stick all kinds of things in there, as weights for example. Obviously need metal washers, like on Circus' or Sun's.

Darragh

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 01:17:51 pm »
srong magnets are fairly heavy
screws work good
righty tighty lefty loosy
From lost to the river

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19:25 pm »
but you can't make it look like the diabolos magic by putting it on a table (and the magnet under) and moving it around. that would be a trick and a half

Darragh

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 01:24:40 pm »
darragh should smoke less and spell more
Sorry
From lost to the river