Author Topic: My Idea...  (Read 11800 times)

allsoppy5

My Idea...
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »
Hey
I have an idea which may or may not work...
Maybe you could have a differential axle so that one cup could go faster than the other and also the cups could spin different directions...

Could this be helpful for any tricks or would it just be pointless  ???

Jack

Re: My Idea...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:01:23 pm »
You'd have to have 2 different axles connected to a center hub first of all, with the axle over it, and i think you'd have to make something that takes up too much space if you want them to spin different directions.

I think it would just be pointless..

allsoppy5

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:28:41 pm »
hehe fair enough but i have the design all done out... I might scan it in and show you all to see what you think then... it would take up no more space than an average bearing.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
so would it be like two diabolos stuck together? or maybe have a small stopper in the middle to separate the axles? sounds pointless if you ask me

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:59:13 pm »
How would the other one spin the other direction though? You'd have to have something to reverse force.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:23:09 pm »
What extra effects would this achieve? Why re-invent the wheel?
Alex abuses flys!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:56:45 pm »
Well, a free spinning cup, which wasn't connected to the axel could be useful. You could just grab the edge of the cup like a revo kit, which is most definately cool. I get the feeling that this could be quite hard to do, but would be almost certainly worth it if it's possible.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

cereal

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:27:27 pm »
i would like to see the design  ;D
if it works it sounds cool to me, bit weird though

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:13 pm »
Well, a free spinning cup, which wasn't connected to the axel could be useful. You could just grab the edge of the cup like a revo kit, which is most definately cool. I get the feeling that this could be quite hard to do, but would be almost certainly worth it if it's possible.

-Leo

Hah, had the same idea few nights back when I couldn't get sleep. I thought about the design and came to the conclusion that it would be probably easier to connect sort of extra cup to one-way bering axle.. Hmm, just wait a sec, I'll draw a picture of it.

Conor

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:48:16 pm »
a lot of the diabolos stability is achieved through speed, i dont really see how u could accelerate effectively and if one cup was spinning faster than the other the diabolo would either turn or just wobble and fall off. it impracticle, i dont really think it can work.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:04:19 pm »
Ok there:

Little different from what I was trying to explain first. Basically It is just a massive hubstack, that covers the diabolo, connecteted to bearing hubs on the outside of the diabolo. I don't know too much about physics, but my guess would be that the 'extra-cup' should be pretty light. Since it doesn't really gain spin when you speed up the diab, the extra weight makes it harder to the actual diabolo to remain its spin.

But if that kind of kit could be built, it would allow one to manipulate the diabolo even when holdin on to it, and there still would be the spin that keeps it stable. Whole new dimension to contact diabolo I say..  And you wouldn't even have to run after the diab when you drop it, great for lazy people like me..

Beni

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »
The diabolo of the future. Would make string rejections impossible though :-\.

I think one free-spinning cup would unbalance the diabolo completely and probably rotate it. Although you might be able to achieve something like that by having a hubstack on a one-sided diabolo (on the opposite side to the cup, where there's the counterweight).

Beni

Jimthegrim

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »
At tommi: Yeah, its not quite the half and half design! So its like a shell around everything but the axle? I have to say, thats a quality idea idea. Prototype?

One way bearing in the middle and normal bearings holding the shell right? *tries to get head around having both oneway axles*

For the half
so would it be like two diabolos stuck together? or maybe have a small stopper in the middle to separate the axles?

This sounds like the most realistic way of doing it, but it means that the one way bearings in the axle couldnt drive the spindle, it would have to drive one of the cups independently instead. Or maybe even a split spindle? Am i making sense? im not even sure.

Jim

mellowscholar

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 09:40:58 pm »
Really interesting idea, not a way I'd thought about it at all.

The outer cup would have to be really rigid so you didn't squeeze the innner, spinning one if you wanted to grab it, and cup corrections would be non-existent.

But you could do some really interesting cup grinds (or perches, in this case) much like with the revo kit, I guess. I suppose it's an extension of that idea; a free component beyond the axle.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:45:05 pm »
Someone email Duncan quick and have whatever design plans they have changed. Immediately!

-Leo (in an excitable mood after the game :P)
Behind your back is your front.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »
now that, is a very interesting idea! i have a spinning top with a similar design. you blow into it to keep the inside gyroscope spinning but the outside you can stop spinning and it re-starts automatically when placed down. i was going to comment on the outer shell being rigid. seems like a good idea. if people thought that bearings were cheating, wait until they see this! it would be the ultimate form of 'cheating' :P

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:36 pm »
heh, you could grab it and it would appear to stop spinning then just put it back on the string and it starts to spin magically =D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

James C B

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:31:40 pm »
hmmm that sounds like a really cool idea. ive been thinking about it and if you just want one cup to stay still id say use a skateboard bearing or something on the inside of the cup in the hole where the hub slips in with a fixed axle. that way it would spin with it but if grabbed, it would only stop that cup not the axle or other cup.
just a thought you know

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:05 pm »
Hmmm, interesting, different direction spinning cups would be pointless I think, but very interested on how that would be achived, Tommi's design is sweet, would allow for ufos, as long as grinds, would prevent rolling from spin aswell, may be a potentially difficult diabolo to learn a roll start with as thw center wouldn't spin, but think of it, reverse direction bounce passes. Wait thought of an ambitious idea, from the original oposite spinning cups, a diabolo that could be spun by lefties, and righties facing the same way, the bearing would have to switch....hmm. just a thought. :P Still overall a very interesting idea.
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 12:10:04 am »
It's not a bad design, but could do with some tweaking. I imagine making the cup within a cup would be very difficult and expensive to make. Also, when you drop the diabolo, it would force pressure onto the inner cup and slow/stop it from spinning. Maybe some lubricant could help it spin better inside.
I think you could modify a Fly diabolo to be similar to this design, just mod the axle and build a case for the cup.