Author Topic: Tape on the sticks?  (Read 10022 times)

Punkerpanda

Tape on the sticks?
« on: March 20, 2005, 10:37:44 pm »
I've seen 2 people have this by now. One person in a video and matt hall.
both had white tape and the end and beginning of the grip, and i believe it's to make the sticks more visible when flying around, during a genocide for example.

I was wondering where i could get such tape, and what kind of tape it is?
i've looked at my local hardware store and they didnt have any white electrical tape.

Arjan

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:03:14 pm »
Well it`s indeed more visible, but it protects the ends of the soft stuff to aviod crumbling off... (I`m not sure thats a word)

kragen

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:56:29 am »
I havnt seen this myself, but it does sound like a job for the god of all tapes - electrical insulation tape :P

Loads of places should have it - Homebase, Focus, B&Q (if your in the UK), or just general hardware / DIY places.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Martijn

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 03:35:26 pm »
I like it because it protects the ends of you sticks, and it's very nice to actually see your stick flying around! :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Tom_G

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 06:00:37 pm »
Yeah, then you might have a chance to get out the way before it hits you in the face.

(speaking from experience)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Matt_

• Donator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:57:26 am »
you can use white medical tape. also masking tape can work but i dont think it'd be as good.

jordak

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:55:09 am »
yeah...at one point I had alternating of blue then green tape for the part of the stick my hand would hold...then I got blisters so i took it off
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Matt_

• Donator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 06:07:21 am »
well i dont think you'd want to put the tape where your hands actually are, that kills the point of having the soft grips, neh?

Hoop

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 06:36:18 pm »
I have very bright tape in the middle of my wooden sticks. Henry's, right where the two pieces of wood meet, but on the thin piece only.  It looks cool, and is visible, but it slows down tricks like coffee grinder where the string hits the tape.  Chews the tape up too when I do that.

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 06:56:40 pm »
If visibility is the desire then nail varnish (in your favourite colour of course :wink: ) does the job and doesn't affect the string or when doing grinds.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

jordak

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 02:00:03 am »
Quote from: Matt_
well i dont think you'd want to put the tape where your hands actually are, that kills the point of having the soft grips, neh?

Well actually, the tape was on my pair of wooden handsticks. I only use wooden handsticks because I have no problem with them and anything else costs money. The only handstick that I'd actually see as an upgrade from wood would (lol wood would) be a carbon fiber pair.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Sean

• Administrator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 02:14:47 am »
Quote from: jordak
The only handstick that I'd actually see as an upgrade from wood would be a carbon fiber pair.

On the contrary, aluminum could also been seen as an upgrade. In fact, some people even prefer aluminum to carbon fiber (or fiberglass)... others don't. Light handsticks are not necessarily better.

But, back on topic: I recently started taping my henrys aluminum foam handles with white electrical tape.
[list=1]1. It keeps the foam from wearing off on my hands when I practice for a long time.

2. It makes suicide/genocide tricks easier to see for both the diabolist and any audience.

3. The feeling of the handle is a bit different, but not necessarily worse. I'm starting to like it.[/list:o]Just a thought.

el_grimley

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 01:53:51 am »
I use it so that i know where my hands are on the sticks without looking

G
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

vinß

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 12:07:27 pm »
I also have tape on my hand sticks.
But the only reason was to recognize mine among the other's, actually.
Cause almost every other diabolists have the same paire of aluminium sticks with yellow string than mine in my juggling club (and we are quite a lot of diabolists in Bordeaux  :lol: )

Twilite

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 08:38:26 pm »
Quote from: ronnie2tone
If visibility is the desire then nail varnish (in your favourite colour of course :wink: ) does the job and doesn't affect the string or when doing grinds.

Or, if you're using wood, wood-dye would do the trick. That's what it's there for!
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Sean

• Administrator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 06:21:49 am »
On the subject of tape: Any ideas on how to get rid of the sticky regunk that's left when you take electrical tape off foam handles? In particular, I'm looking for a chemical or method that wouldn't also destroy the foam.  :roll:

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 06:37:39 am »
I also used to use tape on my sticks (the wooden ones, but now I have henrys aliminums) and it works pretty well for comfort, since I wrapped it on the sticks in a special way. I also seem to have not gotten any huge blisters from it. I think the tape I use is called medical tape, but im not to sure. It also doesnt really make a mess when it is peeled off. I think one of the only downfalls of that tape is it absorbs water and sweat if it gets wet, and may break apart or get a little moldy on you after some intense use, and if not dried. I find the grip of the tape to help out a lot too.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 07:04:27 am »
sean, have you tried Goo Gone? i use it for some stuff, it works pretty well. and by now my foam handles are pretty solidly packed together (not soft anymore) so i imagine yours are too, so you dont really have to worry about it soaking in.

Chiok

• Donator
Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 12:11:38 pm »
Lighter fluid (the stuff you use in Zippos) on a cloth removes many sticky gluey residues from many things.  Or sweat, that does it too.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Scooby

Tape on the sticks?
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 02:14:03 pm »
Sean said
1. It keeps the foam from wearing off on my hands when I practice for a long time.

is it when your hands turn black?  because if tape helps Count me in.
im practising 7 hours a day. (i need to get better) and my hands get soo bad.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------