Author Topic: 3 diabolo pioneers  (Read 8133 times)

GbH

Re: 3 diabolo pioneers
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:10:57 am »
That performance was Guangzhou Troupe from Cirque Du Demain in 1984, and it appeared to even be a christmas special, could be close  to the same. ;)

It might well have been the same troupe, but wouldn't have been the same performance.  What I saw was a televised China vs Rest Of World competition, not Cirque Du Demain.  The diabolo troupe were competing directly with Kris Kremo in the 'juggling' category.  As far as I can remember, the Chinese won absolutely everything.  As Kris Kremo was my original inspiration for starting to juggle in the first place, I remember being a bit annoyed that he hadn't been given first place.   

GbH

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 11:02:52 pm »
I'VE FOUND IT!!!!

OK, sorry for the excitement, but by complete chance (wasn't even looking for anything diabolo related at all...) I've found the Chinese diabolo performance that I mentioned in the thead above.  This was the first ever diabolo (OK, Chinese Yo-yo) that I'd seen of any kind and it was the memory of seeing this that prompted me to start learning 3-low.  I really never expected to see this ever again, so finding this was rather special for me.  Also, the same user has posted the losing Kris Kremo routine (still think he was robbed!).  It seems that it was filmed at the "Circus World Championships" held in Battersea Park, London in 1986.

Chinese Diabolo:

Kris Kremo:

Incidently, something that I don't recall at all was the ringmaster - somehow it seems kinda familiar*!  Also, the Hawaii-5-0 music - I certainly don't remember that either, but those of you that might remember my appearance on BBC's Pebble Mill At One many years back might make notice the connection.  Seems that these two performances had a bigger effect on me that I ever realised...

So, there you go - a little extra piece of 3-low history is now in place.   :)

Guy

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/alicovey/1356076035/

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 08:39:15 am »
Go the old skool 3D!

Pause

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 02:25:11 am »
Ludovich came up with the wrap hover start

It's been over a year and I still can't do a wrap hover start. Most frustrating thing ever. I think is has to do with me using bearingized diabolos, but I've seen Hadrian do it with them, so it has to be possible.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 04:53:32 pm »
Surprisingly good diaboloperformances for being so old. And their 3D patterns looked pretty nice the short while they lasted (go sync shuffles ;D). I always thougt people tried and learned to do hard async shuffles with 3 first, because that´s the way I learnt 2D from diabolo follies. Strange if they didn´t try to experiment with longer shuffles from those starts...

Thank you Guy for all the cool history you can provide. It is greatly appreciated.

GbH

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »
Surprisingly good diaboloperformances for being so old. And their 3D patterns looked pretty nice the short while they lasted (go sync shuffles ;D). I always thougt people tried and learned to do hard async shuffles with 3 first, because that´s the way I learnt 2D from diabolo follies. Strange if they didn´t try to experiment with longer shuffles from those starts...

Thank you Guy for all the cool history you can provide. It is greatly appreciated.

Now I've thought about the video from the Chinese duo some more, it does actually quite surprise me in some ways.  As the only thing that I remembered initially from it was the 3D section, I previously only guessed at what went before it (remember, this was the first diabolo of any kind I ever saw...). 

The first unexpected aspect of it is that there's no acro content at all, something that seems pretty much integral to any other Chinese circus routine that I've seen. 

The other thing is that they were doing 2-high tricks even in 1996, something I really hadn't remembered or anticipated. 

The reason why their shuffles are so short is that, as far as I can tell, it still hadn't been discovered that you could add spin to the diabolos when they were in the shuffle (yeah, even with 2D).  To drive their shuffles, they used the initial momentum built up when whipping with one and that was it. I think that if they had known how to add spin, their routine would have been very different.  It was most certainly the case that the Chinese troupe I saw in Bradford in 1988 didn't know how to add spin, which is why, at the same event, what Jochen was doing was so revolutionary.

Guy