Author Topic: Naming the tricks  (Read 3481 times)

viiru

Naming the tricks
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:54:32 pm »
Is there any general code about naming the tricks?

For example I have "invented" couple of tricks or variations of other tricks that I haven't seen anyone doing. so can I basically name them as I wish and hope that someone doesn't start to complain about me being a biter, or is there some institution I should first announce my trick before naming it?.

For example I came up yesterday with inverse whip (whip from down to up, while diabolo is about your headlevel) which ends up in one hand sun and some sort of suicide finish.

Other one is doing flux capasitor wrong, not putting diabolo between the handsticks, but past them from the left side which results diabolo jumping out from the string and ending to whipcatch and duicide.

Latter one is basically a combo but with some elements which don't have names yet(?).

So... What to do?
It's just a world spinning around your diabolo

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Naming the tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:16:23 pm »
I don't think it really matters, doubt anyones gonna complain if its a trick you've come up with, you'll just have to explain what your talkin about everytime you refer to it with your name to people who don't know what it is.

Since I've been diaboloing I've known trapeze and stopover as the same trick, was told otherwise the other week, its no biggy if people know the same tricks by different names either, so if somebody else came up with the trick and you've named it differently it doesn't really matter...if you make a decent vid of it that everyone sees and includes the name of the trick I'm sure you could put that name into common use  :D

Tom_G

Naming the tricks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:29:09 pm »
Is a trapeze not the same as a stopover? :?
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

viiru

Naming the tricks
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 07:33:22 pm »
Ok. Thanks for help!

I'll try to make vid out of those tomorrow.

... And try to come up with some good names which doesn't start huge debates like merry/shuffle, excalibur/vert, hyperloop/sprinkler etc :)

d2

Naming the tricks
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 07:46:02 pm »
i know the kind of string climb with the diabolo going off but i don't know if this trick already have a name...
about naming tricks in general i think it doesn't really matter but if the trick fits in a given category you should name it knowing that, for example all the tricks where you let go stick(s) are named "*ide" , suicide, genocide,...

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
Naming the tricks
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 03:31:05 am »
stick releases are ending with -cide, not just -ide. -cide means to kill, so somebody thought it would be funny to take all stick releases and categorize them as....TRICKS OF DEATH. just some clarification.

-Jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

viiru

Naming the tricks
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 08:42:03 am »
Quote from: Sharpes
stick releases are ending with -cide, not just -ide. -cide means to kill, so somebody thought it would be funny to take all stick releases and categorize them as....TRICKS OF DEATH. just some clarification.

-Jacob

Well just make as heavy handsticks that you can find (depleted uranium maybe?) and do genocide horribbly wrong. Should be literally trick of death :)

el_grimley

Naming the tricks
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 11:04:06 pm »
I think in the diabolo rule bookit states "The names of any new tricks have to be utterly stupid and have to be really long winded to make any combo description like reading out a video recorder intruction booklet." I think there is also some clause in there about using words thats sound sciency or are related to death. I hope this helps.  :D

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.