Author Topic: Jugglers are geniuses?  (Read 12097 times)

Adamer15

Jugglers are geniuses?
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:25:19 pm »
I read somewhere that jugglers are genuises in there own way and i tryed to test this and my tests prooves we are...

I know you guys are thinking "Then what is this topic about a**hole"

Well i just wanted to make you people aware of it because the second i realised it learning new tricks became easyer and tricks that i couldnt do before are on the edge of doing

Just think about it this way, We are smart (Period)
This helped me i hope it helps you

~Adam
Will eat for Diabolo!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
Re: Jugglers are geniuses?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:39 pm »
I know what im thinking
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:40:27 am »
Your genaralising. I don't think all jugglers are smart.
Need to see evidence (Period)

JimmyCords.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:01:40 am »
Your genaralising. I don't think all jugglers are smart.
Need to see evidence (Period)
Agreed. You dont need to be smart to juggle, just have to have good coordination. And it also depends how you define genius. Jugglers are geniuses at juggling, but they mightn't be geniueses at maths or astrophysics or english.
Say Whaaaat?

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:55:00 am »
Well think about it, how many people in their hobbies, or professions keep learning at the same rate we do? Just the amount of information we process to learn a new trick must be tremendous!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:24:54 am »
Read up about Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. Jugglers would generally be high in bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

Linguistic intelligence (words)
Logical-mathematical intelligence (number/reasoning)
Spatial intelligence (pictures)
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence (body)
Musical intelligence (music)
Interpersonal intelligence (people)
Intrapersonal intelligence (self)
Naturalist intelligence (nature)

Squiggle

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:47:53 am »
I'm a genius.

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:11:37 am »
Read up about Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. Jugglers would generally be high in bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.
Logical-mathematical intelligence (number/reasoning)

dont know about genious, but people with logical-mathematical intelligence (or intrest to mathematics/technology) seems to understand and like juggling more than people usually.. siteswaps are maybe one reason.. shapes of juggling patterns are another.. diabolo has also its own technical nature..

MIT's (The Massachusetts Institute of Technology) juggling club was founded in 1970 and is the oldest "drop in" juggling club in continuous operation in the world. I study in Tampere university of technology and we have quite big juggling club - other universities and schools in finland dont have juggling clubs at all.. students in our university are good audience also, maybe its easier to understand what diaboloing/juggling is all about if you think logical-mathematical way.. ;)

JimmyCords.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 08:39:20 am »
Well think about it, how many people in their hobbies, or professions keep learning at the same rate we do? Just the amount of information we process to learn a new trick must be tremendous!
Musicians are one that I can think of.
Say Whaaaat?

Aaron Z

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:13:25 am »
Musicians only need to remember a certain combination of keys to make different notes, and there aren't that many to learn (I used to be a musician and it was pretty easy to learn the keys/notes), especially if you only play 1 or 2 instruments.
Once a musician knows HOW to play their instrument, it's just memorizing which order to play them in to make music.

But then again, that's pretty much what diabolo'ing is; learning some core movements, then applying them to make tricks. Of course, the learning curve for diaboloists can be quite a bit more extreme.

Anyways, on topic:
I don't think all diaboloists ARE geniuses, but possess some personal qualities that help them perform in academic areas: patience, concentration, persistence, mad skills etc.

Adamer15

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 09:57:05 am »

This is what i ment

I didnt mean were really smart in general

I ment were smart in juggling and processing information in mass scales

And if you want evidence then try thinking about your tricks and get down to the trick statistics

Because once you do that you will see the massive amount of variables in the trick
Will eat for Diabolo!

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 10:14:43 am »
Once a musician knows HOW to play their instrument, it's just memorizing which order to play them in to make music.

How about composing music, or creating a new way of playing an instrument? Hell, I myself am not musical person at all (in way of playing music) but I think music can be bit more complex than just memorizing order of notes. But this is bit off the topic..

And about Gardner's theory, I think besides bodily-kinesthetic and logical-mathematical also visual-spatial intelligence is important in juggling. Visualizing patterns, throw-heights in siteswap patterns and simply understanding what looks good. I thing genius is quite a strong word, I can't think of many jugglers I'd call that.

But as I've been reading psychology lately, I think Robert J. Sternberg's Triarchic Theory of Intelligence is a nice way of approaching intelligence in juggling. According to the theory intelligence consists of three parts: analytical, creative and practical. Example of analytical intelligent juggler could be someone who knows a lot about juggling (siteswap or other theories, history of juggling and juggling culture in general) but doesn't necessarily have lot of own ideas. Then again a creative person can find new ways of seeing/using the knowledge they already has. Practically intelligent people can actually apply they knowledge in practice. Really rough (and bad) overview but maybe someone gets the idea. All three parts are related to each other and being good at just one might not make you seem too intelligent. But also part of intelligence is that you know what you are good at and use those skills to compensate the areas which are not your strong ones.

Aah.. Long post which is not well written at all, since I'm in hurry. Also theories about expertise are pretty interesting when it comes to juggling, might relate to stuff Eric is talking about^. But gotta run now.

Juggle smart people.

JimmyCords.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:17:12 am »
How about composing music, or creating a new way of playing an instrument? Hell, I myself am not musical person at all (in way of playing music) but I think music can be bit more complex than just memorizing order of notes. But this is bit off the topic..
Exactly. For Example Tom Morello (the Guitarist from Rage Against the Machine) does a hell of a lot more than just memorizing chords etc. He comes up with completely new ways to play a guitar, and he makes a guitar sound like anything but a guitar. Sorry for the tangent, I just love Rage. Anyway, I think Tommi's post has hit it.

A definition of Genius from Wikipedia: "A genius is a person of great intelligence, who shows an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work. Geniuses - or genii (see Etymology) - always show strong individuality and imagination, and are not only intelligent, but unique and innovative."
If we use this definition, we can conclude that not all jugglers are geniuses, as there are many jugglers (and diaboloists) out there that aren't creative, (while there are many that are creative) they just follow other peoples creativity (im one of these people at this stage). And we can also conclude that there are some diaboloists that are geniuses at diaboloing, people who are constantly creating new moves, styles and being individual in their diaboloing (langerz).

Say Whaaaat?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 03:42:43 pm »
Hmm. Sure it's easy to say if one person is intelligent or not but generalising that all jugglers are is quite a bold thing to say and maybe built on a lack of fact IMO.

I'd say I'm intelligent but I'm a bit of an idiot as well (No, that is not a paradox.) I think it's possible to be intelligent at a particular subject or area and not so good at other things. -We could be 'intelligent' at diabolo but not at other things.

Some interesting points from this thread, I especially like Tommi's thoughts.

-Leo
This post was just brought to you by a guy who got drunk last summer and had a bet for a fiver that he could eat a bar of margerine. Intelligent right?
Behind your back is your front.

ERIK da blue

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:59 pm »
nearly all jugglers i have talked to seem to be good at maths.
also jugglers seem to be nice people, I've never met a [good] juggler who i don't like or doesn't like me.
(little bit off topic but true)
Sideways is rubbish

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:45:29 am »
Haven´t read the whole thread yet (it´s late so I´ll do it tomorrow) and probably won´t have anything good to add to the conversation anyway but just want to say there seems to be some interesting thoughts in here.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:09:22 am »
I often hear teachers talking about the fact that juggling helps develop both sides of the brain, which might flow onto the impression that jugglers are intelligent.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 05:10:48 am »
At a local juggling club meeting, i remember talking to someone about how it seems that most all jugglers are computer programmers, or some computer experts of the sort. Haha... and I am found guilty of this statement...
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 05:32:56 am »
Most of the jugglers I know are performers, but there does seem to be a lot of computer programmers. I think a couple of the MFP are too.

Adamer15

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »
Wow your right..... Ive never seen a none friendly [good] juggler in my life....

Except me...  ;D

Well back to topic

We don't have to be good in math to be declared intelligent...

We are intelligent in juggling and processing information

Doesn't mean we cant be good at math but I'm saying that we are very smart, because if you take a guy who never done diabolo in his life to do diabolo you realise that you DO need to be smart to do it
Will eat for Diabolo!