Author Topic: 3D animation of tricks  (Read 7383 times)

JimmyCords.

Re: 3D animation of tricks
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:54 am »
Has anyone mentioned GMAX yet? Its a decent 3D animation program, its just a free version of 3DS Max (its like version 3 or something). Its not longer supported by the company that makes 3ds max, but you can still download it.
Say Whaaaat?

Squiggle

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:57 am »
If you want something free and (relatively) simple to play around with when you've not got access to Max, you could do worse than have a look at http://www.anim8or.com/.  Whilst it's not nearly as well specified as Max (the site does it no favours at all), it does the basics of modellingd/animation and is quite easy for anyone that knows Max to pick up and get going with.  Also, you can then export any models you produce into Max when you get a chance. 

Looks good, i'll download it and see if it works on here, otherwise I'll put it on the laptop.

I'll have to read up on how people create string/rope then.

Thanks ofc, something I can practice since JCreator started working funny.

GbH

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 05:18:26 pm »
Has anyone mentioned GMAX yet? Its a decent 3D animation program, its just a free version of 3DS Max (its like version 3 or something). Its not longer supported by the company that makes 3ds max, but you can still download it.

Well, as you mentioned, GMax is no longer supported.  Even when it was supported, it was only really suitable for creating assets that were ready for importing into games - there was no supplied renderer (other than what you see in the viewports) and it wasn't possible (without hacks) to export it into any other rendered either.  So, unless you wanted a free training environment for Max itself, or were actively involved in game modding, it wasn't particularly useful.  If you want a full featured tool that's totally free, then you'd be much better off learning Blender.

Looks good, i'll download it and see if it works on here, otherwise I'll put it on the laptop.

I'll have to read up on how people create string/rope then.

Thanks ofc, something I can practice since JCreator started working funny.

Anim8or doesn't (AFAIK) offer any sort of physics simulation, so you won't find any specific rope support, as you would in Max.  However, I think that for many diabolo tricks, you don't really want/need such a solution anyway, as the string is usually taut when doing tricks.  Regular straight splines will often be a better and easier option.

MOONSHEILD

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 09:20:27 am »
ok sorry for not replying for some time as ive moved flat and dont have the net its been a pain. Anyway at the momment ive been working on a game and havent had anytime to do this but hope fully once we get this game out of the way ill have time to start on this plan sorry for any delays but my game is more important to me at this time will get on this as soon as iam done peace :D
!!!!!!!!!!!Will diabolo for food!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a diabolo with the last of my cash.

Squiggle

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »
What are you coding the game in?

Just curious.

I started playing around with the eh the thing in 3dsmax, not very far with diabolo yet. But it's fun as hell just making things knock other things down :)

MOONSHEILD

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 03:22:58 pm »
ogre but i dont do programming for games as its me and a programmer doing this game and a few others

Squiggle

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »
Cool, hadn't heard of it. But google makes it sound cool.  Lmk when it's finished! :P

Was playing with OllyDbg program tonight...and didn't get far, maybe tomorrow.  /random.

MOONSHEILD

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:30 am »
will do might be some time though as there is few of us doing this game but hopefully get it up on the net or something once its done

Ethan

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 01:12:14 am »
sounds like a good idea once its finished :D
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher