Author Topic: 2008 Collab vid? [brainstorm thread]  (Read 21116 times)

shalafi

Re: 2008 Collab vid?
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 10:51:59 am »
I also think location presentation will be an improvement for he video, if people can select the location it will be great. Also, just an idea, starting in a world map and zooming to the location of the videos. What do you think?

16:9 -> This should be very professional, I also like it.
From lost to the River

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 10:54:33 am »
Martijn and I have discussed it and I think we'll go ahead with it. It is, however, an enormous commitment on the part of the person collecting clips and editing the video. We may discuss some ways of simplifying this and/or distributing the load. Nothing definite yet, but feel free to start thinking about your clip.

If anyone has any ideas for a theme, do suggest.

Theme? Hmm what about interessting locations? So no clips from you diaboloing in your backyard?

I like that.

karatepekka

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 11:21:30 am »
Also, just an idea, starting in a world map and zooming to the location of the videos. What do you think?

That would be cool, but I think it would take too much time...

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »
Everybody should be naked, painted, or naked and painted.
Paint colour must match diabolo colour.
No crystal suns allowed.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:57 pm »
i agree with mr moffett, and mr BMC, looking at the camera cheekily after every trick should be mandatory.

as for a theme, what happened to sick tricks. i think thats always a winner on the theme front

lz

might have a trick this year.......... or not
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Jonny_

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 12:40:20 pm »
topic magic knots and  when magic not is done stop spin pull diabolo out of knot and look amazed
i've made 3 magic knots myself

JimmyCords.

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:10 pm »
Costume: Sombreros are compulsory. Must display Diabolo.ca logo too. Mexican poncho preferable as well.
Say Whaaaat?

shalafi

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »
summarizing:

Naked (except for a hat), painted with the logo of diabolo.ca and matching your diabolo colors. In a public location (that means when other people can see you) and looking cheekily at the camera after the trick.

Sounds pretty insane... I like it.
From lost to the River

Dennis

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »
well first of all I've to say that I thought there wouldn't be a Collab. video this year......
But as it seems, there will be one and that is VERY nice! :D
A year without a Collab. video is a year without summer and winter as everybody knows.....;P

The idea with the different locations is quite nice!
I'm spending my summer holidays this year at Sylt, which is a German island.
I think I'll film something there or at home(*just thinks of some funny places at home*...).

Some ideas are just funny and crappy but who cares????...

My personal favourite would be that everyone should film a trick that hasn't been seen before.....but then it would be the same as the VOTW..... ::)

I think the best would be we all collect ideas till the end of June and then Duncan or Tijn creates a poll and everybody can choose his/hers favourite idea.

so far,

Dennis
hi! :P

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
Well I like the idea of a location focus. It would emphasize the international nature of our forum and promote good filming. Of course the tricks are also ideally innovative as always.

Martijn

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2008, 03:49:10 pm »
I mentioned I'm willing to edit this year's collaboration video on the moderators forum some time ago and I'm still up for it! So bring it on, let's do this :)

My personal favourite would be that everyone should film a trick that hasn't been seen before.....but then it would be the same as the VOTW...

That's a good point you bring up there. To me, the 2006 and 2007 collab video were a lot like compilations of VotW-like tricks. Our d.ca collab videos brought the VotW series in 'danger', because everyone wanted to star in the collab video and hold hold on to their trick so they could submit it for the collab project. That's why I came up with the following theme: "work in progress".

I don't think there's any problem with changing the theme of innovation that's been the focus of the last two, so perhaps adding location and presentation will just make it that much better.

On the one hand I agree with Garner and Duncan, but on the other hand I think the W.I.P. (thanks to mr M. Karas for that abbreviation ;)) theme has great potential. I often come up with moves that I quite like and have potential to become a nice VotW, but they're still missing something. They need to be worked out more, before I feel the trick is worthy enough to present. I bet I'm not alone in this, so imagine a video full of inspiring, fresh ideas and concepts, just waiting to be worked out. Quite some of my old tricks died and never got out, because I didn't know how to work them out. Even if the trick is just too insane and hard to work out, it's still a great way to get it out!

Tricks that need a fancier exit, or a better entry, 3rd base approach, tweaking, a style shift or whatever... released in the open for others to explore further. A trick often just needs a different look, from someone else, before becoming the next big thing. What do you guys think? Perhaps next year we can make a video that brings the answers to these unfinished moves and ideas.

Well I like the idea of a location focus. It would emphasize the international nature of our forum and promote good filming.

I totally agree. Besides a theme, we can still stimulate eveybody to pay attention to the camera angles, location and over-all look of the clip, so we don't necessarily have to make that "the theme". Name + location on screen would be nice as well.

On a different level. 16:9 would be an excellent theme in my opinion.

That isn't really a theme, besides it's rather unpractical. Heck, even getting people to submit their clips in good quality doesn't seem self-evident...

Also, just an idea, starting in a world map and zooming to the location of the videos. What do you think?

Done before... a lot.

Well said, some of us haven't been practicing long and want to have our 10 seconds of fame.

You might as well make your own video, put it on youtube and have 10 minutes of fame. That's not really the type of input that keeps the quality of the collab video high.

might have a trick this year.......... or not

Langerz, You will. Trust me.

Another 'theme' I quite like: you'll have to wear your Diabolo.ca t-shirt. That'll boost our t-shirt sale ;D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »
One question.

Are easy normal tricks welcome to? I mean just a standard fingergrind that looks cool on the way you show it or the place you do it. Or does it realy has to be hard cool looking tricks? =|

Squiggle

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
One question.

Are easy normal tricks welcome to? I mean just a standard fingergrind that looks cool on the way you show it or the place you do it. Or does it realy has to be hard cool looking tricks? =|

I'm guessing it would be welcome? Martijn won't include it if he didn't think it suited the video.

Seeing some dude in colab video doing a basic finger grind would make me cry. K I have my trick idea ofc

@Martijn -- Not sure about the W.I.P. idea, i'd imagine alot of it would be people sending in alot of sketchy tricks/flukes they accidently got on camera. I guess it'd be good to bring out new ideas, but IMO keep it at high standard with good tricks.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2008, 04:47:22 pm »
I'm guessing it would be welcome? Martijn won't include it if he didn't think it suited the video.

Seeing some dude in colab video doing a basic finger grind would make me cry. K I have my trick idea ofc

@Martijn -- Not sure about the W.I.P. idea, i'd imagine alot of it would be people sending in alot of sketchy tricks/flukes they accidently got on camera. I guess it'd be good to bring out new ideas, but IMO keep it at high standard with good tricks.

Alright.. Because I'm just playing for real a whole summer and this summer so I can do lots of tricks but I cannot link them into a great combo yet and I can't do some really unique tricks yet.. But I really would like to be in it!

Jonny_

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »
theme of standing infront of your house then?

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:38 pm »
Isn't it just common sense that you film your trick somewhere where it's beautiful/cool/odd/fresh/etc. (so not in your garden (unless you have an awesome garden ofcourse ::)) or in front if your house)? I don't see why it should be the theme, I'd search a nice spot anyway, regardless the theme.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

fzzyrn

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 06:54:36 pm »
maybe it could be like a "make a small sequence to show off your favorite trick" kind of thing. That way, it doesn't deplete votws, and anybody can make it

in the name space, you can put their name and their favorite trick.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:40 pm »
Perhaps we could stand on our hands, and do the tricks by holding the sticks with out feet?
Alex abuses flys!

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 08:22:34 pm »
hath leave the comedy to me

Chickeneater72790

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
Perhaps we could stand on our hands, and do the tricks by holding the sticks with out feet?

im off to try that...