Author Topic: Wjf 5 Diabolo  (Read 2747 times)

Niclas

Wjf 5 Diabolo
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:56:57 am »
Who are going to compete in the diabolo competition?
( William Wei Liang are not going to compete :()
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Wjf 5 Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:52:28 am »
Awww.
I thought you meant WJF - 5 diabolos. :(
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:48:30 pm »
Me too ...

I thought there wasn't a diabolo section anymore in the wjf ?

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »
Diabolo should have it´s own competition (like yoyo does). WJF doesn´t seem to take it seriously >:(.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:18:21 pm »
Me too ...

I thought there wasn't a diabolo section anymore in the wjf ?

It wasn't that they removed it, just nobody showed up.

Diabolo should have it´s own competition (like yoyo does). WJF doesn´t seem to take it seriously >:(.

It is its own division in the WJF not compared or judged against "juggling", so it's like its own competition. Though it's true that they don't take it as seriously, at least the entry fee for diabolo has been waved for WJF5. Also at the world competition for yo-yo there will be a diabolo freestyle competition, or so I've heard. So not even yo-yo has its own competition anymore, if there is going to be a diabolo division of course.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:42:53 pm »
The main problem with these competitions is getting enough diaboloists there in the first place. Few people can
afford to travel so far or justify the amount of money required to go.

I think a 'world' competition in any format will struggle due to this. Another factor is that diaboloists generally don't seem to like competing in a serious competition.

-Leo (so busy right now :()
Behind your back is your front.

TimEllis

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:29:47 am »
I agree.  I wouldn't mind a big diabolo fest.  However, having just graduated college, I'm broke as..well...I'm broke.  I can't really afford to travel anywhere.

Plus I also am not a big fan of competing with diabolo.   Wayyy too many factors to weigh in.  Take Langerz for example.  He's doing slack whips and magic knots.  By themselves, not very impressive tricks.  Does that make his diabolo skills any less impressive?  Absolutely not.

I have a nice long list of diaboloists I'd like to meet though.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 03:24:01 am »
TIm has a point, breaking down diabolo performances in technical terms sometimes misses the entire point of the performance. Still though, could be fun.
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:18:39 pm »
The main problem with these competitions is getting enough diaboloists there in the first place. Few people can
afford to travel so far or justify the amount of money required to go.

That could maybe be easier solved by actually having the competitions in Asia or Europe (or possibly South America). No offense to American diabolists but the diaboloscenes seems to be a lot bigger in these places. Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan, Germany, France or Belgium may be good places with lots of highly skilled diabolists there already?

I think a 'world' competition in any format will struggle due to this. Another factor is that diaboloists generally don't seem to like competing in a serious competition.

Also the rules. Clubs and balls are...well, clubs and balls that gets thrown. There are diabolos that are heavy, light, bearings, hubstacks, whatever Langerz calls his "thingys", different sticks (short and long, bendy or hard) etc. etc. that all make the tricks slightly vary in difficulty and looks and even changes the "startingposition?" (don´t know proper english for that) for the diabolist quite a bit. Also agreeing with what you wrote, competition doesn´t even sound that much fun to begin with (maybe to some?). It would be nice with a relaxed all-diabolo convention though.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25:01 pm »
Also agreeing with what you wrote, competition doesn´t even sound that much fun to begin with (maybe to some?). It would be nice with a relaxed all-diabolo convention though.

It would be more fun if it was like a freestyle, no actual routine, tournament so it's more rigorous and faster paced. And the whole ladder system until the final two etc.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?