Author Topic: 5 minute Demonstrative Speech on the Diabolo.  (Read 3813 times)

bloodxorange

5 minute Demonstrative Speech on the Diabolo.
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:32 am »
I need some help folks.

At best, I can make two minutes happen of the top of my head talking about history, the basic science of how to make the magic happen and then a brief demo (with a very low ceiling  :-[ ) We are aloud to bring props which will be, you know, a pair or two of sticks, some diabolos, and maybe a spool of the string I use. I was hoping to have the complimentary debit card by now that comes with the checking account I opened last week, so I could have ordered some Chinese Yo-Yo's to expand my collection but thats more then less out of the question for the time range.

Can anyone help with some suggestions on what to talk about or just lengthen the time without it being obviously drawn out of slow?

Marko

• VotW Contributor
Re: 5 minute Demonstrative Speech on the Diabolo.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:10:02 am »
Hey friend. I think you have no problem with the diabolo speech.
I feel a little obligated to help you since i study speech communication.
And do lots of speeches in school...

5 minutes isn't much, i did like 10-15 minute speech on my second language.
In 5 minutes, there's not much you can do or say.  So you could construct the
speech like this.

History - where it's from, for what it was used, how did it come to europe

Introduction to equipment - show the diabolo, explain how it works, show also sticks & string

From where to learn stuff - here you can explain where you can get the tricks, Books (have them there if you got any), DVD's, youtube, talk something about internet communities, web pages. How do you learn or practice a trick.

Where to get diabolo - This is the one they always want to know. Where you get the diabolos. Tell about juggling stores, webstores. Explain where can you get a diabolo and what kind of diabolo you should get.

Demostration - Show off. Give them the tricks.

Styles - Talk about differences of 1diabolo, 2d, 3d, lows and highs, vertax, contact, loop diabolo, don't go in to siteswaps that would need time

So there's lot to talk about. It would take me the five minutes just to go trough history fast and tell them just how it works.  You're going to do just fine. Don't take every topic that i gave you and try to be clear and focus on easy stuff. That will do the trick. End up doing some tricks.

-Marko
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:23:48 pm »
just speak seriously slowly. honestly i used to do public speaking and it was painfully slow but necessary.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
If you're demonstrating, then that can eat up a minute with maybe 1 trick if you end up explaining it.

And like Ben says, speak slowly. Remember to breathe and pronounce every word - people will appreciate your speech a lot more if they can actually follow what you say. If you're rushed, I'd say a good demonstration can't even save a rushed speech.

bloodxorange

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:08:04 pm »
Ok, thanks for your input. I think I have enough material to structure a 5 minute shin-dig. The one thing I forgot to mention is that I need to start the speech with how the knowledge of the Diabolo would be convenient to the class. I was thinking maybe if a terrorist provided them with one and asked them to entertain, or die... but that might not be as professional a reason. ???

allsoppy5

Diabolo speaches/performance
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:24 pm »
Oh goodnees! How do I get myself into these things...
Right, I have got to do a detailed speach on history of diabolo! Help! Any Ideas what to talk about (bearing in mind it is too promary school aged childeren).
Also I will be doing a demonstration of some tricks. Any tips? I have a sort of list of tricks I am going to do and some messup tricks. But i need all the help I can get!

This is on his friday btw.

allsoppy

Edit: woops sorry forgot to post this in the "performances" topic thing. sorry

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:18 pm »
Maybe this thread I merged yours to will be a start.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:01 pm »
If you're doing it for kids i believe that you can get more that than enough material just from wikipedia. Not even mentioning the diabolo wiki. Go for standard, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo and you will be doing good.

Have all the previous tips in mind. You're a talent.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Jakob

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:57:37 pm »
Physics would be a nice aspect
//Jakob

allsoppy5

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 08:22:40 pm »
Ok thanks guys
I did it and they loved it lol!
I felt like the beatles with all the kids crouding rond me =P

n3mo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:05:14 pm »
Physics would be a nice aspect

haha start a lecture on angular momentum and the work done when moving into vertax? =D
- Princeton Juggling Club -