Author Topic: Taibolos vs. LIGHT Suns  (Read 4231 times)

Aaron Z

Taibolos vs. LIGHT Suns
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:42:43 am »
There's already a thread about Taibolos vs. Sundia Suns, which is really informative, but now with the new, lighter suns, how do the pros/cons stack up against each-other?

I'm planning on buying 2 new light-weight diabolos, and I'm pressed between those two.

So, to those that own both or either, what are the good and bad points of each diabolo in comparison?

I own 2 Flys, 3 Heavy Suns, and 2 Finesses. I like the wide-axle of the Sundia diabolos, but find that after adjusting to the wide axles I usually have the string grinding across my finesse cups during tricks.

I like the weight of the Flys, but dislike their poor durability.

Are Taibolo axles wider than Finesse stock ones?

Olive

Re: Taibolos vs. LIGHT Suns
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:25 pm »
Are Taibolo axles wider than Finesse stock ones?

The axles are pretty much the same size/width, but the hubs on a taibolo are shaped in such a way that you can grind with the hubs on your stick rather than the axle, the space between the curvature of the cups being much wider than with a finesse.

If you're after a light weight diabolo and you already have "heavy" suns, why not get the lighter washers for your suns give that a try and then think about getting taibolos? 

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:38:16 pm »
You really have to just try them both out yourself. Ideally not for 5 minutes, but for like a month. Expensive way to find out perhaps, but it's the only way you really can test them imo ;) You can always try to sell them if you don't like them (if they're only a month old, they'll probably still be worth good money).
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »
I've used Taibolos for the past 6 months or so (I think?) and the new lightweight suns for the last couple weeks. I've got lots to say, but not a lot of time at the moment.

In short: they're both awesome.
-I find the suns a bit less stable at slow speeds due to the wider axle.
-At high speeds they may be a tad more stable.
-Neither one would be fantastic for extended concrete/pavement usage. I still use my circuses for that.
-The suns look far too nice to even think about damaging them!
-The suns have that Sundia quality engineering where everything is thought out well. The Taibolos have a more traditional throw a washer and 2 nuts together and make a diabolo. Hey - it works fine for all other manufacturers too.
-The suns are a bit more rubbery. The taibolos a bit harder and more slippery material.
-The light suns look amazing. I've had many compliments from non-diaboloists
-It takes a while to get used to being able to look through your diabolos.
-Then it feels weird not to be able to look through your diabolos.
-Both are similar in weight, depending on your exact washer set up.
-If you get the original Taibolos make sure to swap out the washers for something lighter.
-Both stay very clean in the outdoors.
-I find the taibolos easier to throw start 3 diabolos (the hub/axle shape)
-Both are very true diabolos - little to no wobbles.
-The suns have a sort of "weight" behind them that seems to exceed their actual weight, if that makes sense. I think that means they have lots of good rotational inertia once they get going.
-The taibolos feel more like a light diabolo all the time.
-Obviously, grinds are better with the sun.
-Grinds are also pretty decent with the taibolos.
-The taibolos are a tad easier on my wrists... but I have very sensitive wrists.
-Yes, taibolo axles are wider than finesse ones.
-Taibolos also have slightly bigger cups - i.e. they are about the same width (from one cup to the other) as a sun but with a narrower axle.
-You'd probably be happy with either.
-As Olive mentioned - why not switch out the washers on your current diabolos? That can make a big difference to the feel at a fraction of the cost.

Hmmm... that's about it for now.

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:44 pm »
I think Sean has summed it up quite well, and as Martijn says the only way to tell is from extended use.

I have put some pictures here www.diabolo.tipi.co.uk to give you an idea of the differences.

Another option you could consider (cheaper?) is JC's kits for the Finesse - http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4205.0 - which gives you the axle shape similar to the Taibolo, with the durability of a Finesse, and reduces the weight slightly.

wilyspin

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
I've had taibolos for a year or so and the light suns for about 2-3 weeks.  As Sean said they are both awesome and I think it will just end up being a matter of personal preference.  To be honest, I lean toward the suns because of the axle. 

On a somewhat un-related side note, I made a pair of finesses to fit sun axles.  These things are awesome, good weight, great axle, super stable, and can play inside or out.  Problem is that I just sanded down the original hubs and so there is nothing to center the axle to the bolt.  Any want to make a mold for sundia axle to finesse cup hubs?

Will

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:22:27 pm »
just a stupid question, but how much does the shipping to germany costs?
I'm certainly going to buy 3 suns but I was just wondering how much it would cost........ ::)

Does Nev still have the discount?

sorry, didn't find a thread where this would be correct placed,

but I hope somebody will answer my questions! ;)

thx,
Dennis
hi! :P

nev

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:58:44 pm »
Thanks Sean - that pretty much sums it up perfectly.

@ Dennis - shipping for 3 suns would cost £7 to Germany
you can get shipping costs online (without actually ordering) by just adding items to the cart, clicking "get shipping costs" and selecting your country
& yes - the discount code "dcaforum" will get you 5% off until the end of September.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Scooby

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:58 pm »
I know, Old thread (but I havent been here for a while)

Have you considered the Light-Weight Taibolo?

I have some info here- http://taiboloaus.webs.com/lightweightdiabolo.htm

As a light weight diabolo, I think they are great! They react really well to high-speeds and they dont wobble!

I use them for workshops.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

seán_

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
Hi Scooby, long time no see. Classy 2 year bump of a thread that a cynic might see as a way to basically spam your web shop. Considered donating to get a thread in the vendors section? It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and it's good PR.

Scooby

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:10:55 am »
Already going through the motions of becoming a vendor =)

It seems there is a lot of confusion regarding the Taibolo stuff. I have researched the product and I also talk to the people who make them (unfortunately I dont speak taiwanese, so I go through different means)

ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!