Author Topic: Eeeks... I have been volunteered!  (Read 4948 times)

Purplegirl

Eeeks... I have been volunteered!
« on: April 16, 2005, 01:07:36 pm »
Well, I have been busy practicing for a week now and since buying the carbon sticks and a gen2 finesse I have come on in leaps and bounds.

I was busy practicing away at the club last night and the owner approached me with a beaming smile saying that he wants me to perform at some displays this summer :shock: ... heck, I am not "that" good!  :?

I'm still on the basics really but have been working at making them look more fluid... the question is, is there some sort of guide to throwing combo's together - a sort of "what works best with which" thing?

Or is it just a case of trial and error...

Any help would be gratefully recieved :)

seán_

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 01:47:08 pm »
A lot of links or combos just come to you through practice. You finish one trick and it feels like the beggining of another.

Personally I like to practice sets of simmilar tricks, say around the arm moves and find that I usually come up with an order that seems to flow for me but for somebody else there mightbe a snagpoint. when I have several sets of tricks that go well together then its just a matter of linking them together say through suns, throws, magic knots or whatever works for you.

There is a great post about Eric and Antonins workshop at the WJF that covers building combos.

I also suggest looking at this thread on active sun motion and the video of Yufi. Suns are excellant for linking tricks or segments together and also reduce the amount that you have to use traditional speed up methods. If you are looking for fluid style, studying Yufi is a great place to start.

It is also worth remembering that who you are performing for will have a bearing on what you might want to come up with. Diaboloists (stretch that to jugglers) will apreciate long combos, for the GP small combos and individul tricks give the audience a chance to appreciate what you are doing (and show their appreciation ;) ).

There are a few threads about performing, it may be worth searcing for them. (this and this for example)

Edit: one more thing, you'd probably be surprised at the amount of tricks you can do that will look great and between now and summer you can have lots more. www.diabolotricks.com is a great help here

HTH
Seán

Purplegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 02:16:52 pm »
That's great Seán, thanks :)

By any chance are you going to be at the Leeds Juggling Festival in November? :)

seán_

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 02:23:59 pm »
I kind of have to, I'm part of the organising team :D
(sites up www.juggler.net/leeds thanks lemony and before anybody says anything about the design, it was late and I was... it was late)

Purplegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 02:51:30 pm »
That's cool :) I hope to be there...

lemony

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 04:23:18 pm »
Hahahaha, now now seán_ you can't take all the blame for the design, i've not come up with anything better yet. When it gets a wee bit closer i have something which will make it look a bit more professional but it's not very useful yet.

Good luck with your shows Purplegirl, from what i've seen the main key is confidence. Getting a bit of banter and showmanship into the routine will help you no ends.

On a similar note I've drunkenly made a bet that i'll spend a day busking in Carlisle in the summer and attempt to earn enough money to pay for myself and a friends night out in the evening... could be interesting.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Spink

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:44:35 pm »
Good luck with your performances i bet you'll love it.

Cant wait for the Leeds bash.

Is it going to be an overnighter??
3rd Base + Hubstacks =