Author Topic: Durability...?  (Read 5697 times)

Twilite

Durability...?
« on: April 16, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Started Diaboloing again recently. Done it on and off for years but never with any decent equipment.

This week I got a Henry Jazz through, and due to the rain have just been messing about outside.
I used it in my garden for the first time just now, and already it is rather scratched. It spins a lot quicker than my older diabolos so does a lot more damage to itself when it hits the floor!

Just wondering how long the average diabolo lasts? Obviously it will depend how often I drop it. I'm just wondering if certain diabolos are better suited to using in different places, as I've seen plenty of serious diaboloists working outside so it's obvioulsy doable, but at this rate, my diabolo will be destroyed in a week or so!

Sorry for the novice question, but any help would be appreciated.
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

lemony

Durability...?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 04:15:24 pm »
I havn't used a jazz but if it's anything like my circuses then being scratched and scuffed is just part of the deal... It seems a lot harder to do that to my finesse due to the material it's made out of but i doubt it matters very much.

I fully expect my three to last for many years to come and of course replacement parts are available as well so the lifespan can be extended more or less in definitely.

All in all, i wouldn't worry too much, just try to avoid concrete or sharp edges. Some of the... "more senior" diabolists may be abler to give a more authoriatative answer to the question of how long they last, it's worth noting that i still have a really cheap one from when i was 8 that still runs fine.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

barnesy

• Administrator
Durability...?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:54:44 pm »
Two of my three Henry's Circus are nearly ten years old and are still doing well.  I try to never use them over rough concrete, which will help, but have been pretty hard on them otherwise.  They do have slight nicks in them, but they've held up very well.  If you're damaging yours seriously, I can only guess it's something about the environment you're using it in.

Hope that helps,
A more senior diabolist.

Twilite

Durability...?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 05:00:37 pm »
Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I guess I'll go back into the garden and keep practising, and stop being such a cry baby  :oops:

Thanks again!
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

lemony

Durability...?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 05:21:28 pm »
sorry barnesy... i have to have some respect for my elders and betters ;)
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

el_grimley

Durability...?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 06:51:25 pm »
The ring arround the axel will rust if you expose it to salty water like at the beach.  it did on 5 jazz between me and my brother .

G
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

Matt_

• Donator
Durability...?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 08:53:56 pm »
i'd suggest not exposing it to water or anything since, it is metal. but rubber should last at least 10,000 years because that's how long that sort of thing takes to break down right?

on a side note, my hubs are completely scratched up and have been rendered nearly useless. the aluminum sticks really did a number on them. the second i can get the teflon hubs ill be all over them, they are a must.

Spink

Durability...?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 12:36:42 pm »
Matt_ just file yours hubs down.

I took chunks out of my hubs learning minigenocides with ali sticks, took a file to them and there loads better.
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Matt_

• Donator
Durability...?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 04:11:22 am »
i took the power grinder in my garage to it, and i THOUGHT i made it better (nice and shiny!) but i guess not (probably too coarse of a grinder), now they are even worse than before and destroy my string.

cant wait to get teflon hubs...

Sean

• Administrator
Durability...?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 06:50:13 am »
Quote from: Matt_
cant wait to get teflon hubs...

Well there should be a shipment in North America sometime soon that I requested about 6 months ago. Since Ronnie was kind enough to ship some over from the UK and put me out of my misery (Thanks Ronnie!) there will be a bunch up for sale. Definitely less wear and tear on your string. My metal hubs were messed up pretty badly too.

Matt_

• Donator
Durability...?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 04:17:54 am »
oh wow, sweet. i'd like to get in line for that now, 3 sets please, i have PayPal ready and waiting :D

Hoop

Durability...?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 05:34:15 pm »
Oh no!!!  Sean just pointed me at this thread, and I just got a pair of aluminum handsticks.  Am I going to ruin my circus hubs?  What is the major cause of this, and prevention?  Thanks

Martijn

Durability...?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 05:45:28 pm »
the metal hubs of the Circus are not the greatest. You will ruin them after a while. I believe the alu sticks help to ruin them :) A better option are the teflon hubs for the Circus. They are made of plastic (or am I wrong?) and are about 20g lighter as the metal hubs. Have a look at this thread.

My main problem is that my aluminium sticks are ruined due to playing with suicide stuff on the street/pavement. That's really bad for the top of these sticks. Try to be carefull with that dorky suicide stuff :wink:
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matt_

• Donator
Durability...?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 03:27:02 am »
you have a good chance of ruining your circus hubs; i've ruined both of my diabolos already.

martijn: the teflon hubs are made out of, well, teflon ;) its a plasticy material (in fact i think it may be a category of plastic). check it out at www.teflon.com

w35ku

Durability...?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 08:43:13 am »
I often diabolate with my Henry's Circus and always i have diaboled outdoor, I wash themwith water... they are still good, and can use them....
Forum: Zuko @ www.zuko.tk
You can find:
Juggling
Multiplex Juggling
And Diabolation

Sean

• Administrator
Durability...?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 03:01:06 pm »
Teflon is a Dupont band name for a plastic mix they've developed. More commonly it's used to coat surfaces to make them non-stick. I wonder if all the hubs available are really made out of "Teflon".

Hoop

Durability...?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 08:25:59 pm »
I have a circus that is about 6 or 7 years old and still seems to be in good condition.  It is very dirty, but the hubs seem okay.  I've only ever used wooden and plastic sticks with it, but I keep breaking the wood.  I thought the aluminum would help with that. :)   I like the weight of the circus, so I'm not sure about the teflon hubs.  Do they make it about the same as a finesse weight?

seán_

Durability...?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 10:18:58 pm »
just take 20g off the circus weight (IIR) but its from the middle so thats where you want to lose weight from. they still feel more like circus than finesse.

When I first ran them I had  a few problems with wobbles but not any more. They feel great weight wise but also  they feel on the string. They feel a lot smoother. grind better as well.

I think a lot of people using ally sticks (or carbons with metal ends) have been chewing up hubs. with wood this isnt a problem.

Matt_

• Donator
Durability...?
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 06:08:46 am »
Quote from: Sean
Teflon is a Dupont band name for a plastic mix they've developed. More commonly it's used to coat surfaces to make them non-stick. I wonder if all the hubs available are really made out of "Teflon".

yeah, right after i posted that link i was wondering the same thing myself. they'd have to actually license the Teflon stuff. perhaps it's something similar to teflon and that's what everyone calls it.